Rediculous email scam

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Rediculous email scam

Post by Phil_S »

As if I might click...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Root

Re: Rediculous email scam

Post by David Root »

I just ran this by Snopes.com and looks like they don't know about it.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Scams are bad.

Anybody getting calls from different cities and states as part of a
telemarketing scheme.
Somehow they are spoofing the caller ID with different locations.

I have to screen all calls now before answering.:evil:

What happened to the 'do not call' list?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

If they send a billion of them and 1/2 of 1% clicks, they probably achieve their goals... No good.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Structo wrote:What happened to the 'do not call' list?
News flash: criminals don't give a shit about laws. "Oh am I in-con-VEENiencing you? Tough turkey. Now hand over your money, it's for a good cause..."

Don't get me started on the talking turds that call for your money, claiming it's for the Police Chief's Organization, Fraternal (dis)Order of Police, PBA, State Police Fund for Widows & Orphans etc etc.... I have friends and relatives that hold senior police rank and they ALL say, don't pay them anything, hang up and if they persist, then you persist in hanging up. These morons really believe they have a RIGHT to pester you. That'll be the day, when one of 'em is finally sentenced and actually serves state prison time.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

My favorite is the one where the caller says, "Hello. My name is John. I'm calling from Windows security. Your computer is sending us a message that you have a virus and you need to go to this website..." Right away, I'm thinking his name can't possibly be John because he speaks a South Asian dialect of English. Perfect English, mind you (including a fine command of various foul expletives after I string him along for a few minutes), but he doesn't sound like he's from around here and it's unlikely they name their children John or Adam (the other guy who calls me) in that part of the world.

I love to tell them how mistaken they are because I don't have a computer. Lately, though, I've grown bored with them and I just hang up when they call.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

I have a couple of favorite responses to any kind of sales phone call:

1) "Look, dude, I know it sucks to be a telephone solicitor, but you're not going to make any money here, so why don't you just move the fuck on?"

2) "You have reached a secure line - all calls are traced and monitored. If you feel you have some business at this phone number, please state your full name, social security number and home address, and an agent will visit you soon."
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Someone must have sold my email address to scam.com. I get at least 6 messages a week. All are variations of the Nigerian prince scam. Really, is anyone falling for these? There should be a special corner of hell for these dbags. The E-mails are bad enough, but the phone calls are annoying time thiefs. Many of these callers.aren't allowed to hang up until you do. I ask them to hang on, rattle some dishes, papers or change, then lay the phone down for 15 minutes. If their still there after that I do it again for 30 minutes, etc. Until I need to use the phone. Hopefully it saves a few others from a call.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That actually sounds like fun.

I just don't want to show that anybody here answers the phone.

But...

Hang on........someone's at the door.

Just a minute......I have to take this....

Hold on.......BS meter is pegged...

But if one dumb shit lets them scam him, that makes up for all the dead end calls.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
David Root

Post by David Root »

Ken, I like your #2! Must try that next time I get one of these douchebags calling.

Which reminds me, the attached would be a good response.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

"Telephone Fraud Division. This is Agent Reese. How may I direct your call?"
RWood

Post by RWood »

I usually immediately interrupt them, telling them that I am glad that they called because I want to talk to them about Jesus and wonder if they know that they are on the way to hell...which is usually followed by the click of their phone hanging up!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Structo wrote:Scams are bad.

What happened to the 'do not call' list?
Whether the calls are generated from within the US or elsewhere, there's been NO enforcement that I know of 'do not call' rules. Presumably the caller is due a $3000 fine. I tried it last spring on a phone scammer, demanded to talk to their supervisor, then demanded the legal department. Of course the caller handed me to 'supervisor' probably the geek sitting next to him, and that geek did all he could to not give me the name of the company causing the offense much less their legal department, likely because they don't have one. Maybe just as well, they're probably sitting in some sweaty roach-infested room in the industrial zone of Bangkok or Bangalore, have nothing better to do than punch numbers, repeat their schpiel, get hung up on over and over again, what a life. Soupy the Supervisor "promised" me they'd never call again. Who can tell, I get a couple calls a day trying to tell me I won a sea cruise to Costa Cucaracha or get a better rate on my mortgage or put solar cells on my roof (it's SLATE you morons!). Of course the calls from Sergeant Sphincter and Deputy Dan demanding money for their already well-funded organizations... you know they think they have the right to pester you so that will never end. Tell 'em to put your number on their own do not call list, what they really do is put you on the sucker list and pass it on to all the other tele-pests.

Just found out about a dirty bird at a nearby volunteer fire department. They had a habit of dialing everybody for miles around suggesting callees donate, including well outside their service district. Spectacular firehouse, always the best and latest equipment. The cash is flowing fast and 2010-2013 the fire chief was stuffing some into his pocket, wonder how many more were doing the same. Chiefy got nipped in an audit. He was filling his own car's tank, 12 gallons at a time, using the department's credit card. 108 tanks full of gas when it was over $4 a gallon, an indisputable pattern of criminal behavior. That's over $5000 he embezzled, easily worth a year or more in state prison. Case went to court but results not revealed to the public, funny thing about that, and he hasn't served a day in jail. In fact he's still on the department roster, just no longer chief. Sort of undermines your trust in the vaunted "first responders." Many of them are good folks no doubt, some are criminals.
down technical blind alleys . . .