Bright on Clean Without Additional Relays - non HRM

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Bright on Clean Without Additional Relays - non HRM

Post by Structo »

This may help someone trying to figure out the relays
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

Structo wrote:This may help someone trying to figure out the relays
Awesome bro! Thanks for the diagram so much. :D
groovtubin

brit

Post by groovtubin »

norburybrook wrote:My simpler solution is to turn down the tone a little on my guitar before hitting the OD switch :)

Marcus
right, i like my brit ON< w/PAF loaded strat, the ONE tone knob is dedicated to that bridge PAF, with it @ 3-4, its a deadly sound, alot like eric johnson! Then my clean is all jangly, i run a 2 x 10 cab w/precision 50 watt SS PA head for stereo, n it`s a killin rig! A Rocktron replifex..
jlatrace

Bright on clean installed - question

Post by jlatrace »

Okay I installed the bright on clean mod as drawn by Gil. In doing so I modified the bright switch so that each position of a 2d3p switch selects either a 120pf, 220pf or no bright cap. I installed the high pass filter on the OD relay board using 220K/470pf values.

My question is ... why is the volume noticeably boosted when the bright switches are disengaged from the clean volume? The gain boost happens on both the clean and the OD channel.

I like the clean sound. The OD is a little over the top on settings above 3 on the drive setting.

Any thoughts or education is helpful. Thanks for the help in advance.
norburybrook

Re: Bright on clean installed - question

Post by norburybrook »

jlatrace wrote:Okay I installed the bright on clean mod as drawn by Gil. In doing so I modified the bright switch so that each position of a 2d3p switch selects either a 120pf, 220pf or no bright cap. I installed the high pass filter on the OD relay board using 220K/470pf values.

My question is ... why is the volume noticeably boosted when the bright switches are disengaged from the clean volume? The gain boost happens on both the clean and the OD channel.

I like the clean sound. The OD is a little over the top on settings above 3 on the drive setting.

Have you tried re adjusting the OD trimmer now you've made these changes?

Marcus
ayan

Re: Bright on clean installed - question

Post by ayan »

Just to be sure I understand, you implemented the bright on clean network with 220K/470pF, and it is switchable...yes? You say you used a "2d3p" switch. I don't know what this means, did you mean a 3 pole 2 throw switch? If so, please complete the following options:

1. Switch down the 120pF bright cap is on and the "bright on clean only" is active/inactive?

2. Switch up the 220pF bright cap is on and the "bright on clean only" is active/inactive?

3. Center position there is no bright cap on the volume control and the "bright on clean only" is active/inactive?

I don't understand why you would use a 3 pole switch... In any case, it appears you have some kind of wiring error. Adding any brightness cap will increase the volume, even if ever so slightly. And, implementing the "bright on clean only" I drew up, the OD channel should not be affected at all.

It would be helpful if you provided us with a little schematic of how you wired things up.

Gil
jlatrace wrote:Okay I installed the bright on clean mod as drawn by Gil. In doing so I modified the bright switch so that each position of a 2d3p switch selects either a 120pf, 220pf or no bright cap. I installed the high pass filter on the OD relay board using 220K/470pf values.

jlatrace

Post by jlatrace »

Thanks for everyone's help. I figured out my problem. Here are the answers to Gil's questions:

The switch is a DP3T (on-on-on) switch.

Down - Bright on Clean engaged - the 120pf and 220pf are completely bypassed. (See below regarding the errand "red" wire from the switch to the volume pot lug.)

Middle - Bright on clean engaged, 120pf engaged, 220pf bypassed

Up - Bright on clean engaged, 220pf engaged, 120pf bypassed.

I have attached a couple of pictures. The 120pf & 220Pf are soldered from the switch to the volume pot lug (green and clear). The white common wire is soldered to the volume pot wiper. The red wire was my problem. I cut the wire and now everything works perfectly.

The bright on clean 471/220k is wired on the OD relay such that it disengages when the in OD mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Glad you got it all sorted out!

Gil
jlatrace wrote:Thanks for everyone's help. I figured out my problem. Here are the answers to Gil's questions:

The switch is a DP3T (on-on-on) switch.

Down - Bright on Clean engaged - the 120pf and 220pf are completely bypassed. (See below regarding the errand "red" wire from the switch to the volume pot lug.)

Middle - Bright on clean engaged, 120pf engaged, 220pf bypassed

Up - Bright on clean engaged, 220pf engaged, 120pf bypassed.

I have attached a couple of pictures. The 120pf & 220Pf are soldered from the switch to the volume pot lug (green and clear). The white common wire is soldered to the volume pot wiper. The red wire was my problem. I cut the wire and now everything works perfectly.

The bright on clean 471/220k is wired on the OD relay such that it disengages when the in OD mode.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Look at #183 bright switch.
I used 630v polystyrene 220pf and 500pf
I did try ceramic and silver mica the polystyrene was smoother less hash.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Gil
I don't know if this will help you but they do a similar thing in JCM 800?
(feeding V2)..470K/470pf ...I always thought this was a bit too bright (for that amp)being it's fed by .022 and obviously other things!..I would start 220k.220pf and tweak!!

PS..Sometimes these types of networks can make the amp sound harsh at breakup (does w/JCM) other than that looks good to me!

Good Luck!

Tony

ayan wrote:You guys know I have been thinking about this for a long time now, but never felt like drilling my amps to add another relay. At the end of the day, this is analogous to what I used to do at the OD network entrance years ago. The brightness network can probably be something like a 220k//500pF or thereabouts and can be added right at the existing channel switching relay, replacing what normally is a straight wire in non HRM amps. It can be defeated with an optional panel switch, or the Bright front panel switch can be replaced with a DPDT center off to keep the original Dumble options stock and add this one. I haven't had the time to put this into my gigging amp yet, but it looks like a winner on paper and I like the fact that it works independently of any pot settings... maybe I'll be able to lose the horrible master bright caps!

To those brave enough to try it, I'd be curious to know what kind of a resistor and cap pair you end up with.

Cheers,

Gil
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ayan

Post by ayan »

I think many amps use this type of thing, Tony. It may sound harsher at break up, but since this is only active in clean mode it should not be a problem with a Skyliner preamp. But, as you know, I'm currently using pedals for gigs so I've forgotten -- temporarily -- about the shortcomings of the ODS amps. :)

G.
talbany wrote:Gil
(feeding V2)..470K/470pf ...I always thought this was a bit too bright (for that amp)being it's fed by .022 and obviously other things!..I would start 220k.220pf and tweak!!

PS..Sometimes these types of networks can make the amp sound harsh at breakup (does w/JCM) other than that looks good to me!

Good Luck!

Tony

ayan wrote:You guys know I have been thinking about this for a long time now, but never felt like drilling my amps to add another relay. At the end of the day, this is analogous to what I used to do at the OD network entrance years ago. The brightness network can probably be something like a 220k//500pF or thereabouts and can be added right at the existing channel switching relay, replacing what normally is a straight wire in non HRM amps. It can be defeated with an optional panel switch, or the Bright front panel switch can be replaced with a DPDT center off to keep the original Dumble options stock and add this one. I haven't had the time to put this into my gigging amp yet, but it looks like a winner on paper and I like the fact that it works independently of any pot settings... maybe I'll be able to lose the horrible master bright caps!

To those brave enough to try it, I'd be curious to know what kind of a resistor and cap pair you end up with.

Cheers,

Gil
talbany

Post by talbany »

ayan wrote:I think many amps use this type of thing, Tony. It may sound harsher at break up, but since this is only active in clean mode it should not be a problem with a Skyliner preamp. But, as you know, I'm currently using pedals for gigs so I've forgotten -- temporarily -- about the shortcomings of the ODS amps. :)

G.
talbany wrote:Gil

Good Luck!

Tony

Cheers,

Gil
Then you should be fine!..Please keep us posted on what values you like and how it works out (Singles/Humbuckers)..As always

Best of Luck!..Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ayan

Post by ayan »

I will if/when I try it. In the last few months, the only soldering I did was to rewire my pedalboard. :oops:

G.
talbany wrote: Then you should be fine!..Please keep us posted on what values you like and how it works out (Singles/Humbuckers)..As always

Best of Luck!..Tony