plans for a 2x10 vibrolux, super reverb combo cab

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

plans for a 2x10 vibrolux, super reverb combo cab

Post by norburybrook »

I've decided to re house my 1970 Bandmaster reverb into a combo as it's already 75% of the way there already with the size of the head cab.

Does anyone have any cab plans for a 2 x10 super reverb,vibrolux combo?

I've done a search and come up blank.

Cheers

Marcus
pdf64

Re: plans for a 2x10 vibrolux, super reverb combo cab

Post by pdf64 »

Combos seem to be tough on tubes, the intense vibration in close proximity seemingly resulting in previously good preamp tubes going microphonic, power tubes developing rattles.
Plus there's the luggability factor of a necessarily heavier combo to consider,
So changing a head to a combo seems to be a retrograde move to me?

Plus separate heads and speaker cabs encourages experimentation, if a selection of each are available.

How about making a new head cab that isn't so tall? My Fender 75 head has reverb but isn't as tall as the Bandmaster, so it can be done.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I can't tell you how many heads I have had to convert to combo so I could sell the amp.

I like heads and choose my speaker cab but these local kats want combo amps to take to the gigs.

I build TW Express combos which see stage use weekly and travel from state to state without problems. I do use tube dampers on the power tubes.

The TW Rocket combo amps seem to hold up just fine as is but the tubes are horizontal on those builds, my Express uses tubes down chassis so they are more exposed to the vibrations.

Mark
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Guys,

I hear you :D.

my reasons are mainly,

I don't own a combo of any sort.....

The Bandmaster head is so large and heavy anyway it probably will only need to be about 4 inches taller to become a 2x 10 combo. With a pair of neo speakers it won't be much heavier !! or even regular 10's aren't that weighty.

So really I don't see much to lose in doing this. I'll store the original head cab for the future.

Anyway, I think I'll just Google the dimensions of the vibrolux 2 x10 and work it out from there!

Marcus
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

norburybrook wrote:The Bandmaster head is so large and heavy anyway it probably will only need to be about 4 inches taller to become a 2x 10 combo. With a pair of neo speakers it won't be much heavier !! or even regular 10's aren't that weighty.
Couple of crustomers have showed up with Bandmaster-reverb amps, moved reverb to "floor", replaced grill with 2 x 6" baffle, a couple of pokey Eminences mounted to it. Sounds surprisingly good!

Other than that, yes the 2x10 Tremolux cab is one to copy. All sorts of 10's out there. If you need a lot of efficiency/volume the Celestion Vintage 10's are choice, a little heavy but they cut thru anything sonically. One of my customers says "Why are my Vibrolux with Vintage 10's louder than my Twins with JBL/EV?" Yeah, that efficient! They'll take 60W each, no problem, you'll never wreck 'em with your Bandmaster.
down technical blind alleys . . .
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Pretty much everything you need here: http://rawcabs.com/rawcabs.com/Fender_vibrolux.html The width, depth, and chamfer at the top obviously have to match your chassis, and the depth at the bottom is typically ~3/4" wider than at the top so that the front face and baffle are angled back about 2.5 degrees.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Leo it will take a pair of 8's actually.

Thought about this, maybe worth a shot actually :D

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Cool idea!

I used to have a '68 Dual Showman-Amp (no reverb), and the head wasn't as tall as the reverb models, which look just like your pics.

I've also seen the extra tall 13 1/4″ x 26″ x 9 1/2″ head on silverface Super Bassman-Amps in addition to the Bandmaster and Dual Showman Reverbs.

There are several companies that will build you a nice 2x10 combo cab.

Mojo makes a very nice custom cab just for this for about $300, depending on what handle/feet/tolex/grill cloth you choose:

[img:1024:393]http://www.mojotone.com/4000170rev1.jpg[/img]
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks ken,

you guys on your side of the pond seem to have all this stuff available to you.

we don't......................... :(

Marcus