JM Signature Build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

JM Signature Build

Post by dreric »

Hi Guys

I'm been lurking for too long, I got distracted by guitar making due to a Les Paul junior obsession. Now it's time to get back to amps.

I have all the parts for a JM Signature build. I've been searching through the files and it seem the layout, with SSS name, has some errors and there are several version of Aaron's schematic.

It there a definitive thread on this amp?

Thanks
Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
dorrisant

Re: JM Signature Build

Post by dorrisant »

I think this is the one I used...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That's the schematic I used and I did not make any component changes either.

Sold the amp and the owner is very happy with it so we know that schematic will produce a good product, have fun. :)

Mark
dreric

Post by dreric »

Thanks guys!
Eric
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I have all the parts for a 4 X 6L6. Just need to find the time.
Are you planning a 50 Watt or 100 Watt? It will be great to follow your build once it gets rolling.
dreric

Post by dreric »

I'm planning a 4-6V6 version. I'll post pictures as I go.
Eric
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Just noticed that I've drawn the speaker outputs wrong.
Obviously the tip doesn't go to earth. Should be parralleled to the ext speaker tip and then to output transformer.
Aaron
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Aaron wrote:Just noticed that I've drawn the speaker outputs wrong.
Obviously the tip doesn't go to earth. Should be parralleled to the ext speaker tip and then to output transformer.
Aaron
We should all be smart enough to disregard that one little misplaced dot...

Great drawing... I wonder how many have been built from it.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dreric

Post by dreric »

I'm trying to understand the power supply on the schematic post above. There is an additional secondary that I don't understand and there's a toggle weird thing and two bias pots? Is there something that I'm not understanding?

This older schematic has a PS that I understand and one that seems to match photo's on other builds and the layout.

I must say that I have a love hate relationship to the layout. I appreciate the work that went into it and the sharing. Conceptually it's good but there seems to be a lot of errors and significant omissions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Here's a few pictures of the PT wiring and the filter board. I'm planning on 4-6V6 so the first stage are 100uf rather than 220uf.

Power Transformer is a MC 40-18005
Eric
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

dreric wrote:I'm trying to understand the power supply on the schematic post above. There is an additional secondary that I don't understand and there's a toggle weird thing and two bias pots? Is there something that I'm not understanding?

This older schematic has a PS that I understand and one that seems to match photo's on other builds and the layout.
The prototype has the hi and low power switch. When switching to the low power the bias would need adjusting, hence the second bias pot.
So switching the hi-low also switches the bias.
Thanks,
Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Aaron wrote:The prototype has the hi and low power switch. When switching to the low power the bias would need adjusting, hence the second bias pot. So switching the hi-low also switches the bias.
Aaron, what power transformer did you use, and how much difference is there in B+ in the low power mode? Did you end up staying with that configuration?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I went through all the posted schematics and found slight errors which were all addressed in the original post.

The schematics PS are the same.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

martin manning wrote:Aaron, what power transformer did you use, and how much difference is there in B+ in the low power mode? Did you end up staying with that configuration?
I haven't built it with the dual windings. Only with a standard twin transformer. When I traced it at the time I couldn't find other info on voltages. Hopefully someone who access to the Two Rock dual supply will chime in.

Thanks,
Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks, Aaron. I think it might more likely be something like this.