Vibrochamp with reverb?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Pierre

Vibrochamp with reverb?

Post by Pierre »

I have an amp that I built a while back as a first scratch build. The amp is basically two channels with James tone stacks and reverb. I want to rebuild it as a Vibrochamp with reverb. My question is whether or not I can insert the tremolo at pin 8 on the 6v6 power tube. Has anyone made this amp? I couldn't find anything on a search. All ideas are appreciated.
martin manning

Re: Vibrochamp with reverb?

Post by martin manning »

Why not keep the same trem arrangement as the Vibrochamp?
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

I can do that. I've seen others comment that the tremolo sounds better when it modulates the power tube. If it's easy to implement, I thought it might be worth trying.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I've never seen a trem signal injected at pin 8 (cathode) of a 6V6. Or for that matter, the cathode of any power output tube. Modulating the grid (pin 5 of a 6V6) is routinely done with either fixed bias or cathode bias. Is that what you mean?
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

Whatever you do, do not build like a Champ with one leg of the heater going to ground, run two twisted wires and 100 ohm balance resistors if needed!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

sluckey wrote:I've never seen a trem signal injected at pin 8 (cathode) of a 6V6. Or for that matter, the cathode of any power output tube. Modulating the grid (pin 5 of a 6V6) is routinely done with either fixed bias or cathode bias. Is that what you mean?

After looking at more schematics, pin 5 would be the right spot. The only reason I was thinking cathode was because that's where it's inserted on a preamp tube. Would I just insert the trem signal between the coupling cap from the preamp and the grid leak for the power tube?
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

I suppose that's right on pin 5...
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

martin manning wrote:Why not keep the same trem arrangement as the Vibrochamp?
Pierre wrote:I can do that. I've seen others comment that the tremolo sounds better when it modulates the power tube. If it's easy to implement, I thought it might be worth trying.
Where did you see this? Was it applied to a single-ended amp?
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Where did you see this? Was it applied to a single-ended amp?[/quote]

No, just push-pull. Not a big deal. If it had been done before with success I would give it a try. I can just wire it up like a Vibrochamp.
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Found a schematic for the Gibson GA-RT1 in which the tremolo modulates the single power tube. I have a start!