ANother Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blues Hound

Re: ANother Express

Post by Blues Hound »

Quick update:

I was getting some ghost notes from the Express, which bothered the s*@t out of me. So after doing some research on the forum, I read a post where another member had a problem with ghost notes and F&T caps, my build had F&T 20uf caps.

Changed them out for Sprague 20uf caps and no more ghost notes.

I also was able to get a matched pair of RTF/Siemens EL34's and some Ruby 12ax7's from the 80's and the amp sounds really good, very loud, but really fun to play.

Considering removing the 820 ohm resistor at Pin 2 and the 22k at Pin 7 of V1 to see how she behaves.

Steve
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Yow... I had always thought that F&T was a good option. Now you have me wondering. I'll keep watching to see if there are more cases of this. I'd be curious what is happening with the physics of it, has to be something kinda interesting??
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Some F&Ts are counterfeit... If you buy them from a reputable vendor you should be good to go.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
David Root

Post by David Root »

Dorrisant, I didn't know that. Can you elaborate? I would assume the counterfeit ones look different in some way, otherwise how would you know? Lettering, dimensions, seals??
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Never heard any negativity for F&T caps but I stopped using them after a few builds where they were my only resolve was to remove them and use another brand. Haven't used them since, I think this was about 2009.

See them in lots of builds so I think they have to be good caps.

Mark
Roe

Post by Roe »

Real made in Germany F&T caps are reliable, even more so than recent Sprague Atom caps. Personally I prefer BC 450v caps in the express, but this has to do with the tone and response
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

David Root wrote:Dorrisant, I didn't know that. Can you elaborate? I would assume the counterfeit ones look different in some way, otherwise how would you know? Lettering, dimensions, seals??
I can't remember what forum it was that I saw some info on this... Just within the past few months. The caps were off value in some cases. Many times they had a lower voltage rating too. Junk caps inside of a sleeve that looked just like F&T. There have been others that have been faked exactly the same way.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
David Root

Post by David Root »

Like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

David,

The ones I have looked like the one on the right...I will measure them tomorrow.

Steve