Type of wire

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RJ Guitars

Re: Type of wire

Post by RJ Guitars »

ckpop wrote:Ken used Belden 8529 wire in his amps, 20gauge solid core/ 1000v. The earlier pvc coat was called thermoplastic. You can recognize the thermoplastic because it is more porous and not as smooth as the later Pvc. He even used this 8529 in the B+ supply starting after the choke resistor.Solid core wire makes a difference in the power supply. Using 18 gauge stranded wire in the power and filtering supply's gives you a different type of low end.

There you go !!!!!!
Finally, that is out there... I had promised not to post the actual number so we have danced around that for a few years. I bought miles of the Belden old stuff when I could still find it and I also found that a few other wire manufacturers also produced it (mil-spec allows this) although I never found any bulk rolls except the Beldon brand.

You mentioned something about the old stuff vs. the new stuff, concerning the PVC shielding. The newer rolls I've purchased do seem to feel... well "newer" than the old rolls so I have an understanding of what you are saying. Since this is a Mil-spec wire, in theory and practice you cannot change the composition or fabrication process and call it the same mil-spec number... Do you think this difference might be due to an aging factor?

I believe there is a later iteration of wire (not the same part#) using the same core material but with an irradiated PVC shielding. This bumps the melting temp of the shielding up a bit but the electronic performance is theoretically indistinguishable...
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Sone Aura

Mil Spec? Some military specs don't mean very much.

Post by Sone Aura »

Some of the mil spec wires carry number that when you look them up state the wire can be cleaned with soap and water, or is gasoline & oil resistant. Other numbers mean the wire has light weight insulation, and flux infused strands for use on The Space Shuttle, so merely having a mil spec number can mean anything from almost nothing at all to wire you can send into orbit and subject to temperatures from -100C to +350C. If you are hot stripping hi temp Teflon wire or any Teflon wire use an exhaust fan. The fumes are not good for you at all. You get flu like symptoms from Teflon exposure. My stripper is a small loop of Nichrome wire that will melt any Teflon insulation. There are well over 50,000 Mil Spec numbers cataloged now. Have fun:http://everyspec.com/
Only man can transmit total darkness at the speed of light.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If you overheat a teflon pan, it will kill a pet bird dead as a.hammer. I use teflon with normal stripping and would recommend air filtering or evacuation anyway. The Teflon is safe and stable as anything if stripping mechanically, but the exposure to halogens and chlorine from the Flux in the solder is what's dangerous. BTW, if you use leaded solder, wash your hands after handling it also.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
joesatch

Post by joesatch »

dblgun

Post by dblgun »

joesatch wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:55 am will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT ... UTF8&psc=1
I'm not even sure what Amazon is selling there but am pretty certain it is not what you want in an amp project. I have a specific preference for the wire I use in my Trainwreck clones that is quality solid core wire and stranded for some other builds. If you are looking for a good place to start with a wire purchase you really can't go wrong with the "Plexi Amp wiring kit" from Valvestorm. It's a good way to get a good amount of quality topcoat wire at a good price. Hope this helps you get started.

https://www.valvestorm.com/Products/Wire
geezberry

Post by geezberry »

Belden 8529 was recommended on this forum. This is a 100 ft roll in brown..
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Belden lead looks stranded in the picture but says solid.

Somehow I don’t think wire will be a tonal decider. I think the circuit and transformers will be the big ticket items.

That said, it I was given the choice, I’d use the Belden cable as it’s more authentic.

https://www.belden.com/products/cable/e ... -wire/8529
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

Does anyone know where you can buy a couple of meters of the various colours of Belden 8529 wire?

I have only seen 100ft spools and I would never use that amount of wire.

Thanks for your assistance.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Just plug it in, man.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the link, it would be perfect if it came in more colours than black and blue. I will look into it.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Valvestorm sells 22AWG tinned hookup wire in all colors of the rainbow, any length you wish. Great wire, no frayed ends.
Just plug it in, man.
joesatch

Post by joesatch »

shipping is $26 ..
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Solid core wire really has nothing to do in portable equipment. I agree with those suggesting teflon coated, mainly because of the higher temp's and voltages in tube based eqpt. Although I realise I may be shot down on this 8) , tonality of hook up wire is mostly imaginative, but given the fact of higher impedances in tube amps, stray capacitance between wire-chassis-circuit may be an explanation, if there really are audible differences beyond imagination.
Wire characteristics and properties have been discussed ad nauseum in the HiFi community for decades, but there are absolutely no technical or scientific proof for it.
Several strippers for PTFE wire have been mentioned here, and some cheaper ones are reprorted to work well, but I've been using Ideal Stripmasters for teflon for a number of years. They are pricey, but surplus ones can probably be found, and the Stripmasters also have exchable blades...
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Aurora wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:32 pm Solid core wire really has nothing to do in portable equipment.
https://youtu.be/Dnbe3A3pC_s

Take a listen... Particularly from 5:50 on.

Not being rude, but this is what the Man had to say about it.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Sorry, mate.. we have to agree to disagree... :wink: the Audiophools have been at this for years, with "this wire sounds better than that", "silver conductors sounds cleaner"... the list is endless... Not that I have anything against solid core from a technical POV.. my objections are mainly based on mechanical aspects.. a guitar amp will usually be subject to a lot of shipping and handling, maybe vibrations from less-than-perfect stage floors etc etc - in sum ; vibrations.. my professional background is from geosphysical sciences, sounding rocket electronics and space comm, where one generally avoid solid core for the very same reasons i just mentioned....