A Cradle for my chassis

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

A Cradle for my chassis

Post by drhulsey »

I built my first amp with the help of a 2x6 block of wood opposite the transformers when I flipped it over. It worked OK, but it wasn't elegant :roll:
I admit it :!: I was jealous of those guys who had chassis cradles :oops: So-o-o, I decided to make myself one that could be rotated with the chassis in place, and be adjusted for length. If you've looked at some of the designs on the web, there are some VERY nice ones custom tooled from aluminum that look like a piece of art. I'm not a machinist, but the idea of aluminum seemed good. I found an ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage- ... esstQQtZkm
that sells all kind of aluminum stuff :shock: I bought some pieces I thought might work for a frame, and then fretted over how to make a clamp mechanism to hold the chassis. I thought that two Quick Grip type clamps might work, but had trouble figuring out how to mount them. The handles were awkward, as well. The I spied something I had bought and laid under my workbench last year. A Wilton MultiGrip Clamp system:
http://www.wiltonmultigrip.com/
The handles were oriented in a more favorable position, and the base rotated :idea: There were stops around the 360º of rotation for stability.
Pressing the button to unlock rotation on two clamps at once was, let's say, not convenient, so I removed the detent mechanism on one and let it free-wheel. The other mechanism was strong enough to keep the position stable.
Well, here's what I came up with. Sorry about the graininess of the pics, but I was having flash problems :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
drhulsey

Re: A Cradle for my chassis

Post by drhulsey »

As you can see, it is adjustable for different chassis lengths. It seems to handle the weight of the transformers well, even in a tilted position. The frame is VERY sturdy. If I had some padding, I could do pushups on it, if I could do pushups :oops: I may try to customize some pads for a little wider grip on the chassis. This clamping system could easily be fitted to a wooden frame. They're not terribly expensive. This site has a two-fer:
http://www.specialtytoolsusa.com/store/ ... oduct=1140
Perhaps some of you will find this helpful :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

tomrasdf

Post by tomrasdf »

now THAT is SLICK. Great thing to have on the bench.
"In this world you will find hardship and trials; but take heart, for I have conqured the world."
John 16:33
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

Thats a great DIY prototype, dr! Thanks for sharing that. I need something similar myself. You have inspired me!!! :lol:

Brian
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Great idea!

But I really need to learn you amp guys some photography skillz!
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Lonely Raven wrote: But I really need to learn you amp guys some photography skillz!
Help is humbly accepted from all quarters :wink: That might be a good thread for a technical discussion- seriously.
Tim

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

I could write something up if people really cared. Wouldn't be a big deal.

For the most part, it's easy really.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
10thTx

inexpensive amp cradle

Post by 10thTx »

I built this one in a couple of hours for under $30. I recently used it with
a build involving hammond trannies which are somewhat tall. It can unbolted to be moved further apart by using another wood block as a cross support. It has a decent center of balance and was stable to use.

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... C02098.jpg

With respect, 10thtx
drhulsey

Re: inexpensive amp cradle

Post by drhulsey »

10thTx wrote: I built this one in a couple of hours for under $30.
Very nice :!: I see that it adjusts for the width of the chassis, as well. :D
Tim

sliberty

Post by sliberty »

drhulsey - Nice design. What I like about yours is that no matter where the trannies are, you can still use it effectively. I built one of the wooden types, and although it has all the features I need, if the transformers are too close to the edge of the chassis, it can be a problem as they get in the way of the wooden support rails.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

sliberty wrote: ... no matter where the trannies are, you can still use it effectively...
The Express design sure doesn't leave much room for clamping on the transformer end :?
Tim