Avatar is now selling speaker cabinet kits

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

Avatar is now selling speaker cabinet kits

Post by MakerDP »

Like the subject says... mine just came today in a flat-pack. Assembly looks easy and the price was pretty fair IMO. Looks easily convertible into a combo cab if you are handy with a router too.
20170609_202536.jpg
It's their 1x12 traditional cabinet. Ishould have time to actually put it together Sunday or Wednesday.
xtian

Re: Avatar is now selling speaker cabinet kits

Post by xtian »

Interested to see what kind of joints they've given you.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

xtian wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 pm Interested to see what kind of joints they've given you.
I was wondering about that too.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar- ... ional-kit/

https://youtu.be/vKN8ImwMe3w

Glue and a brad nailer is all you need then finish to taste.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would glue and clamp no brad nails.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

If you plan to round the corners I'd forgo the nails and glue a cleat to the inside four corners. With a Titebond style glue that will be all you need!

What speaker do you plan to use?

Russ
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

I'm going to try and test fit today. Not sure about the need to skip the brad nailer if I'm rounding the corners. Guess I'll know more about that later today.

Speaker will depend on the amp I put in it if I go the combo route. Either way I will probably put a WGS ET65 or ET90 in it. If I go with a combo probably a WGS Retro 30 or Green Beret.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Test fitted...
20170611_114314.jpg
You will definitely need to do something with the edges using a router but this thing will be a snap to assemble and is VERY sturdy even without any glue. Everything fits perfectly.

If turned into a combo It would be cool to fit a piece of plexiglass in place of the jack plate so you can peer into the guts of the amp.
20170611_114333.jpg

I would think a good carbide tipped router bit would take care of any brad nails that might be in its path?
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

MakerDP wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm I would think a good carbide tipped router bit would take care of any brad nails that might be in its path?
Never been a fan of cutting nails with a router. Unless you don't have clamps I'd forgo the brads as not necessary. I routinely edge glue sides for amp and speaker cabs together and have never had an issue with seams popping. Ever lugging the monster OT/PT's on 100 watt amps.
DSC_0010.JPG
Russ
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Good point Geeze. Have you watched that assembly video I linked above? Do you think cleats would be needed the way the front and rear "frames" are dadoed into the four sides?
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I would put cleats in if you plan to round those edges as you will be removing glue joint area from the dado cut. Is it over kill? Probably. Are you going to tolex or finish the wood?

Russ
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

most likely tolex which will add strength but yeah you're right... I never thought about it from the perspective of rounding the edges will remove bonding surface area! Cleats are a snap to add and with those, just for assembly simplicity I would definitely glue and brad nail them in (the cleats not the actual joints.)
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

No updates on this for at least a week... we are at the beginning of a week+ heat-wave here in Central California... 110-ish degrees Fahrenheit outside every day... no way I am stepping foot in my garage for a while.
MKB

Post by MKB »

For such a cab assembly, might be worth investing in a biscuit joiner. I made my last few cabs with biscuit joints and it worked great. Makes for a solid easy joint, MUCH faster and easier than any sort of dovetail or finger joint, and no metal bits to eat your router bit.
xtian

Post by xtian »

MKB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 pm For such a cab assembly, might be worth investing in a biscuit joiner. I made my last few cabs with biscuit joints and it worked great. Makes for a solid easy joint, MUCH faster and easier than any sort of dovetail or finger joint, and no metal bits to eat your router bit.
Thx for the reminder--have one, but never tried. This works on plywood? 90-degrees, or do you cut edges at 45 degrees?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com