6G6 b+ voltage & 5881 tubes

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

scooter_trasher

Re: 6G6 b+ voltage & 5881 tubes

Post by scooter_trasher »

Electrolytic for sure, I think of them as bias caps , or cathode bypass caps when cathode biased, like the preamp tubes , all caps could be considered filters that's what they do, even in the tone stack, I think of the power filter caps as the filter caps
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Well technically the job they are doing in the bias supply is filtering and smoothing the bias voltage after its been rectified - same as the filter caps do for the HT supply.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
scooter_trasher

Your confusing me with your terms,( B+ =HT ?), the 6,000 to 12,000v supply line that runs through my backyard before the step-down transformer isn't considered high tension around here,just post substation supply line, this is what WE call High Tension 138kv to 780kv
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

scooter_trasher wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 am Your confusing me with your terms,( B+ =HT ?), the 6,000 to 12,000v supply line that runs through my backyard before the step-down transformer isn't considered high tension around here,just post substation supply line, this is what WE call High Tension 138kv to 780kv
In the context of low voltage transformers a step up transformer will have a LT (low tension) or low voltage side and a HT ( high tension) or high voltage side aka primary/secondary windings. The majority of power transformers that I use are custom wound and I always reference my desired HT winding (secondary) current when placing an order.

Thus, when I see "HT voltage" I always look at the rectified DC voltage on the secondary side of the power supply.

TM
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

These terms ( B+, B- , HT) are very old terms from the Dawn of electronics, so much so that B was in reference to the battery's they had to use to get a DC voltage !
HT back then was a term used for a minesule 250 volts or so.
These days we need a full replacement of using the term B+ And B- with V+ And V-.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I tend to like the nomenclature of just naming each node in the power supply as A, B, C, D, E etc. Then you know the expected voltage at that point (if referenced) and where it is tied into the anodes along the line. But yes, it is weird legacy stuff.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
scooter_trasher

Took me long enough to get used to calling the mains B+, don't know how long it will take to think of nodes as , a b c d, instead 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
https://youtu.be/JhaY9oDNvdk
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

scooter_trasher wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 pm Took me long enough to get used to calling the mains B+, don't know how long it will take to think of nodes as , a b c d, instead 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
And now you are confusing me :-) When I hear "mains", I think of the AC voltage at the wall socket, not a high voltage DC source.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
scooter_trasher

That's why I call them wall voltage , and B+
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I believe "LT" and "HT" are typically used in Britain for the filament and plate supplies, and "mains" refers to what is called "wall" or more formally "line" voltage in the US. Also, "Plate" is used in the US, where "anode" is typical in Europe. We've been over this before, but A, B, and C were the names of the batteries used in the early days of vacuum tube radio for the filament, plate, and bias supplies. B has persisted as the term for the plate supply, and note that single-cell 1.5V dry batteries are still called A (and AA, and AAA), and C, but not B.
scooter_trasher

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:02 am
scooter_trasher wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 pm Took me long enough to get used to calling the mains B+, don't know how long it will take to think of nodes as , a b c d, instead 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
And now you are confusing me :-) When I hear "mains", I think of the AC voltage at the wall socket, not a high voltage DC source.
Here in Michigan , where Edison is from Mains in a house circuit is the drop that goes into the breaker box and disengaged by pulling the "main breaker"
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You missed my point, theses days it should be termed V+ And V- unless we are taking about a stomp box run on battery .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

scooter_trasher wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:11 pmHere in Michigan , where Edison is from...
Thomas Edison? He was born in [edit] Milan (not Marion) OH.
Stevem wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 amYou missed my point, theses days it should be termed V+ And V- unless we are taking about a stomp box run on battery.
V+ and V- is typical for bipolar power supplies used with modern IC's. Those circuits may also have a separate bias voltage. Vacuum tube technology has its own nomenclature; nothing wrong with that, IMO.
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooter_trasher

OK "Thomas Edison was born in Milan, Ohio, and grew up in Port Huron, Michigan."
68strat

Post by 68strat »

*coughs uh hum Tesla