(Audio)My next build a CJ11 style amp

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

(Audio)My next build a CJ11 style amp

Post by Guy77 »

I missed my 5e3 amp which I sold a while back. I have just ordered all the parts to build another 5e3 when I heard this amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhyLulrfkU

I found the schematic online and will make some changes like removing the negative feedback and removing the cap on the 2nd preamp tube cathode with a switch.
I will run it in a standard tweed deluxe cabinet I am building and will use a G12M speaker.

Cant wait to have her done! Will post some pics later on.

Cheers

Guy
Last edited by Guy77 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
ChopSauce

Re: My next build a CJ11 style amp

Post by ChopSauce »

Sounds like a really cool project 8)
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Yes thanks I am looking forward to it,
Cheers

Guy
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I understand. I have been really tempted by bulding something like that, but I can't right now.

Any comments about using a cathodyne vs. a long tail pair phase inverter - maybe?
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

That's a good question ChopSauce. I have built a few tweed deluxes and I always kept it as a cathodyne but changing it to a LTPI might produce a great sounding amp too with a stronger signal going to the power tubes with the LTPI. But everyone that builds the 5e3 seems to keep it as a cathodyne.
My mind has wondered and I maybe building something different now. I heard some audio tracks of the HoSo56 amp from EL34world.com and I maybe building one of these instead. It uses 6BM8 power tubes. The clean tones with the HoSo56 seem to sound nicer than what I am hearing with the CJ11 . The overdrive tones sound great with both amps.

Cheers

Guy
ChopSauce

Re: My next build a CJ11 style amp or maybe a HoSo56

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks for your reply!

The HoSo56 sound like an interesting amp, also 8)
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I think the best 2 sounding samples of 6BM8 tubes are DaGeezer's mini-bassman:

http://www.musicwebtown.com/jallenshaw/46763

Here is the HoSo56 with 6bM8's that I built with VVR on and volts dialed down super low for a more overdriven tone. There was NO pedal used at all in this demo. I added a little delay in the mix but otherwise it was just 10" Ragin Cajun speaker mic'd.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/pla ... i&newref=1

with respect, 10thtx
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

10thTx wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 am I think the best 2 sounding samples of 6BM8 tubes are DaGeezer's mini-bassman:

http://www.musicwebtown.com/jallenshaw/46763

Here is the HoSo56 with 6bM8's that I built with VVR on and volts dialed down super low for a more overdriven tone. There was NO pedal used at all in this demo. I added a little delay in the mix but otherwise it was just 10" Ragin Cajun speaker mic'd.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/pla ... i&newref=1

with respect, 10thtx
Thank you for the audio, they both sound great. Will start knocking out the chassis this weekend. I found a schematic you posted on this site about doing the HoSo56 with 6v6 tubes and I may go that route . I believe Tony from this site built a 6v6 version as well.
Here is the old post.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p338613

Cheers
Guy
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I decided on going with the CJ11, will do the HoSo in the future. I used a standard 5e3 chassis and attached brass turrets into a pre drilled board. I am using some new lead free solder that is RoHs complaint from a company called MG chemicals, it flows nice with the brass turents . Its pricey at $34 for 112g but it smells nice almost like vanilla! I will do a few mods from the standard CJ11 schematic that is floating around. I want to make it switchable from cathode biases to fixed bias and I want to add a Middle tone control and I'll use a larger transformer so I can run 6v6 or EL34's, I am thinking 150ma transformer should do. My 80 year dad did the tweed style cabinet for me with his Saw Smith table saw he bought in 1950's! They don't make them like they use too! I will set it up with controls facing top just like a tweed deluxe. The hardest part for me is deciding the colour of the tolex. I was thinking to go with black and then do a beige grill cloth. I have several yards of tweed fabric as well but just cant decide yet! Any thoughts on colour appreciated ! Will post more latter on.
Cab_201628.jpg
Cheers

Guy
Chassis_083205.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Nice start, And way to go dad! that's a nice cabinet. I don't know what color you should go with but the divided by 13 red/beige color scheme looks cool.

Cant wait to see how it turns out.
I have everything needed for one of these, but not a dad to do a cabinet for me. Send him up to Canada for me :D
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

joeboo88 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm Nice start, And way to go dad! that's a nice cabinet. I don't know what color you should go with but the divided by 13 red/beige color scheme looks cool.

Cant wait to see how it turns out.
I have everything needed for one of these, but not a dad to do a cabinet for me. Send him up to Canada for me :D
Thanks for the colour suggestion joeboo88 . I checked out the Red/ Beige on the /13 site and it looks nice. Maybe I will mix the Red with black and do a red strip on the top of the cab. Dad lives in Canada too but it sounds like you maybe further north than we are . Thanks again!

Cheers

Guy
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Finally making some progress on this build. I have a gut shot below. I have never cramed so much into a 5e3 chassis before. These things are small!
I have it setup so that I can switch between cathode biased on the original design to fixed bias. The gold marshall style knob on the left side of board is used to adjust the bias. I got the drawing for this from Rob Robinette site. I have 2 switches outside the chassis. The one on the side is to switch the transformer from 270v-0-270v ct to 340-0-340v ct. The other switch seen in the photo switches from cathode biased to fixed biased. I also made the boost switch have 2 levels of boost as opposed to one level as in original CJ11. Otherwise everything else is stock CJ11. Got to wire up the pots and preamp tubes. I was surprised that the layout of this amp is very much like that of a Trainwreck Express!

Cheers!

Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Finally made some progress on the cabinet for my cj11 this weekend. Spring has sprung finally in our neck of the woods so did some gluing and cutting of tolex in the backyard! I decided to use a Marshall style black tolex. I played the amp through a G1265 speaker and really liked it! The preamp is basically the same topology as a Trainwreck Express only the values of resisters and capacitors are different. In regards to the original layout I added a fixed bias and cathode bias switch and a switch to turn negative feedback on and off. Amp is very touch sensitive and gives a really nice and crunchy overdrive sound! I really recommend this build. Its simple to build too. Need to build a faceplate and install speaker next.

I attached the layout I used, it shows separate cathode resistors for the 6v6s but I used only 1. I changed the first filter cap from 22uf to 47uf , this gave it a tighter bass and I preferred the overdrive tone this way.
I ran my tungsol 6v6 plates at 380v with a GZ34 rectifier , I think this is very close to stock CJ11. I also increased my cathode resistor on the 6v6 tubes from 250 ohms to 390 ohms. Tungsol's are so sensitive to red plating and this kept them very happy and I noticed no significant lose in tone.

The best part of this amp is that it sounds equally well with a strat (single coils) as it does with a Les Paul with humbuckers!
Will post sound clips in next couple weeks.

Cheers!

Guy
cabinet.jpg
Guy77

(Audio clip) CJ11 style amp

Post by Guy77 »

Finally got around to making a video of my CJ11 clone. Excuse the messy garage. This thing is a little monster!
Its just a 1 minute clip but it shows what this little baby puts out! At the 8 sec mark I engage the boost switch.
Speaker is a Celestion G1265. Volume is at 75%. Audio and video is coming from a Canon Vixia HFG20.
Youtube link is below.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/jprxJZPWgJY

Guy
Last edited by Guy77 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: (Audio)My next build a CJ11 style amp

Post by pompeiisneaks »

that thing can jam! I edited your post to use the 'video' tag to make it easier to view inline here.

Thanks for sharing!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!