VOX AC10-Twin Regrets

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zozoe

VOX AC10-Twin Regrets

Post by zozoe »

Greetings,,, I'm at 'that' point where reading about amp that used to be my All-time #1,
is creating great agida, especially since I lost the amp to some untimely life related upheaval.
Not really wanting to spring for anything close to what these originals actually command, I'm thinking (trouble) about having one of the reputed amp builders ála Trinity, Lil Dawg, or countless similar companies to build me a VERY close head only rendition of this circuit, using all the tubes native to that AC10-Twin circuit... I don't really need the tremolo circuit, but if I recall correctly, 'THAT' channel was the one where the MOJO lived, but my memory fails me,, so please jump in to refresh me, but equally as important, who should I go to for such an undertaking? It's a tad beyond my existing intermediate technical smarts & abilities, so I need to commission some company who's able & willing...
ANY thoughts or suggestions that may lead me to a faithful reproduction of my lost treasure?? Many thanks in advance for all your great thoughts & insights.
Kenny 🕉🎶
kslewitt@gmail.com
echuta13

Re: VOX AC10-Twin Regrets

Post by echuta13 »

You might want to get in touch with Psionic Audio. He's been doing some amps of late that may not be too far off from what you are looking for.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The glorious nature of a original AC-10 ( when Jennings was still making them! ) was the fact of lacking quality of the parts used since it was made price wise with the new student in mind.

If you slip into the mud of building one with better parts ( especially the speaker and OT ) you will not get what your looking for out of the amp.

Another big part of the tone and play feel of the original amps was that the OT was underrated for the wattage that the output / power supply could dish out, since it was considered back then that no one would play the amp opened up enough to get distortion.

When a OT is driven passed its limits it will roll off some highs and lows and add a compression of its own, and this makes for a sweet kinda sponge feel, but the amp sings nicely also.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm very interested in this amp, too. What would you recommend as transformers?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

For a output I would consider a P-T125H from AES.
It’s rated at only 8 watts, but it’s 10K primary will help it from burning up.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

An Hammond 125H? Easily available in Europe... great!
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Huh. 10k - is this running a pair of 6AQ5s, or 6BQ5/EL84s?
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

gktamps wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:18 pm Huh. 10k - is this running a pair of 6AQ5s, or 6BQ5/EL84s?
Being a VOX, I might suspect the latter!
Just Sayin'
Gene
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

The Ballzz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:26 am Being a VOX, I might suspect the latter!
Just Sayin'
Gene
Gee thanks.
Not familiar with this amp, just thought that 10k was a bit high, though it is also a bit low for 6AQ5s.
Glad you set me straight. :roll:
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Yes (EL84), not the twin one but I could see AC10 schematics whose OT primary reads 8k. This one https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31921 for example.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Thanks, ChopSauce - that is what I expected, hence my question.