"No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: "No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Post by martin manning »

johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Gotta say, I'm with Miles on this one. Without trying to get political, maybe now is the time to try some oddball tubes, or NOS from dealers more local. From a financial standpoint, it might actually end up more cost effective to shop locally, as well, depending on what the tariffs end up looking like.

On a side note, maybe this would be a good time to have a community build challenge, where we use non-traditional tubes to throw something together? I was looking on eBay, and saw that people are paying $40+ for a JJ 12AX7. Maybe we could get creative? Just a thought.
Thermionic/EL-34

Post by Thermionic/EL-34 »

That EH presser just mean Mike Matthews has greased the right palms for now that's why prices are jacked.
We all know how trustworthy the Soviets are. [pun]
Again, the game has changed and politics, War & corruption are now manifest in the Vacuum tube trade.
Don't expect miracles.
For all we know this whole on again/off again tube import crap could simply be a marketing strategy for $$$
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I should have gotten into this twenty years ago. $40 for a single 12AY7? Yikes.
Just plug it in, man.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

This is bummer news all around. I am afraid the youngerns may miss out on the glory of big tube amps.
I am now praising Odin that I am a bit of a geezer and hoarder. Destiny is all.....
toobz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Ok, we know where the tubes are...
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Thermionic/EL-34 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:26 pm Image
He rewteeted my chocolate gelato manifesto.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bepone

Post by bepone »

there will be tubes always, also for 50 years, i dont get this drama. we have killed the cow? or we didnt? yes we did? or not? :?
at the end all is the same always, so put litle bit averaging to your impulses and value of euphoria or drama will drop.

the losers are big players which are not on this forum or are on minimum, so normal DIY people can always buy few tubes per year for their needs.
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

Notice how quickly existing stocks of new made tubes ran down to almost nothing. It wasn't a week from the announcement until most supplier's stock was sold out.

Now it'll be another month or longer before any new shipments make it to those vendors.

People will CREATE a shortage by panic buying when it's not necessary.

Yes I've bought some tubes recently but I'm an amp tech and have customers to support. I need to keep some new tubes in stock all the time.
But I don't stack up cases and cases of new tubes.

However eventually this scenario will play out again. I fully intend to increase my stock levels a bit over time. Nothing insane, but I want to have a couple of years of stock so that I can support my customers for the foreseeable future.
Thermionic/EL-34

Some sold out but most are just sitting on what they have conspiring to see what outrageous pricing they can get away with.
My local shop just got a big order from Euro Bob [even tho im no JJ fan] i asked what he would sell me a quad for.
We are personal friends and even then he said " im not sure what to do". He's going to sit on them.
I have a stash so im not worried but like i said the game has changed.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I just padded my moderate supply and cannot believe the prices. Up to quadruple the cost of just a couple of months ago. Never mind the all-of-a-sudden-unobtainable Black Sable Mullard ECC83 for a mere $549.95. Good thing Telefunken Diamond Bottoms are still to be had, and still for a ransom. :shock:

Desperation knows no bounds. Just ask Putin.
Just plug it in, man.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Man.... people paying these insane prices as well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Thermionic/EL-34

professormudd

Post by professormudd »

That is a long video... Any specific highlights?
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Same kind of questions and speculation that is going on here and everywhere else tubey.