Board construction opinions?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Board construction opinions?

Post by dragonbat13 »

I've really kinda decided what I want to do for my next build but I wanted to get some opinions.

I'm not wanting to consider PCB in this. I believe that's the most durable but it's not my cup of tea at the moment.

In my opinion, eyelet boards are the most durable besides PCB. The components are secured to the board to avoid movement which stresses the solder.

I've built an amp with a Hoffman turret board, and while it's great, I'm not fond of the wires that run into the bottoms or tops of the turret.

What I am thinking is building on a full perf board, and using solid double turrets. That way any under board wirescan come up through an empty adjacent hole and wrapped securely around it's turret. The double turrets and full perf board would allow additional turrets for mods and allow hookup wires to be undisturbed when changing components.

Does all that sound feasible?
xtian

Re: Board construction opinions?

Post by xtian »

Feasible, sure. All choices (eyelet, turret, p-t-p, even PCB) can be made NASA solid if you pay attention to details. Nothing I've built has ever been sent to space, but even so I've had very few failures--two that come to mind was HT arcing thru tape or other inadequate insulation.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Antique electronic supply has some stuff that I may try.

I may be a little bit guilty of just wanting to put some old school craftsmanship into it also.

My main goal is to keep connections above the board, with no use of holes going through the board. I'll have to use hollow turrets, but they will be double turrets.

Gonna get some board material coming tomorrow.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

What exactly do you mean by "double turret" ? Is it some kind of turret that extends above and below the board ?
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm not sure what the rationales for using mixed techniques are but if you're only troubled with wires being connected to the turrets from below (à la Hiwatt?) connect them for above, like :
kelt-bluebird-6d295a_fdd03e21fe4c41519322537cffa82dd8.jpg
The same applies to eyelets - I think -

For what's worth: I prefer eyelets for I feel like less heat/stress over the components is needed to solder properly but turrets offer more connections, yet you can make twin eyelets to provide such feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Double turret
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeyvelour

Post by joeyvelour »

I prefer double turrets over eyelets myself, with all wiring done on the top side of the board. I can see all connections, parts values, etc. at a glance. Easier for inspection and any rework/part value changes if needed.
5F2A.JPG
Partial Assembly Required
Brain Sold Separately
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

dragonbat13 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:23 am Antique electronic supply has some stuff that I may try.

I may be a little bit guilty of just wanting to put some old school craftsmanship into it also.

My main goal is to keep connections above the board, with no use of holes going through the board. I'll have to use hollow turrets, but they will be double turrets.

Gonna get some board material coming tomorrow.
If you want to really go old school, AES also sells these for true PTP builds.
Screenshot_20230128-081746_Brave.jpg
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Looks cool, but how the heck do you mount it to something?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

joeyvelour wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:10 pm Image
Digital camo boards !?.
joeyvelour

Post by joeyvelour »

Digital camo boards !?
I prefer double turrets on blues amps as well 8)
5E3.JPG
Partial Assembly Required
Brain Sold Separately
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

TopHat_Guts1.jpeg
Most of my amps have been built with the double turrets, a couple with eyelets. Never done point to point, don't like the aesthetics of it. TopHat uses a quasi P to P approach using garolite terminal strips... It's rugged for sure, and looks MUCH nicer than P to P.

Thanks Pompeiisneaks!
Last edited by DaveH on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:51 pm Looks cool, but how the heck do you mount it to something?

~Phil
On the bottom, not shown, are 2 screws inserted in molded ceramic threads.
Drill 2 holes in the chassis, mix up some epoxy. With acetone, clean the bottom of the insulator and the area on the chassis mounting location. Apply epoxy, mount with screws from the chassis' topside.
That's what I do anyway.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:45 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:51 pm Looks cool, but how the heck do you mount it to something?

~Phil
On the bottom, not shown, are 2 screws inserted in molded ceramic threads.
Drill 2 holes in the chassis, mix up some epoxy. With acetone, clean the bottom of the insulator and the area on the chassis mounting location. Apply epoxy, mount with screws from the chassis' topside.
That's what I do anyway.
Ahh cool gotcha.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

DaveH wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:50 pm Most of my amps have been built with the double turrets, a couple with eyelets. Never done point to point, don't like the aesthetics of it. TopHat uses a quasi P to P approach using garolite terminal strips... It's rugged for sure, and looks MUCH nicer than P to P.

ETA: Won't post pic for some reason
It can be a bit tricky, you first have to post the attachment with the "attachments' tab below when posting, and then once it's done uploading you can click the link next to it that say's "place inline" or if you don't like the image, theres then the 'delete file' link next to it as well. Here's my goat as an example:
Halo.jpg
~Phil
tUber Nerd!