Dumbleland update (was SSS) :D

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ElectronAvalanche

Re: Dumbleland update (was SSS) :D

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

@Jay:

what amp are you referring to? The one on the small pic with the 12AX7?

If you are referring to the silver alligator amp (the one that uses EF86), this amp was referred to me as being a SSS. It did not have the Filter section btw.

If you serviced that amp, could you please confirm he preamp schemo I posted? I only have photocopied pictures of it and the parts list.

How would you define a SSS? Is the Dumbleland a SSS without the Filter section?

I heard the story, that the Silver Alligator "SSS" was built for Ry Cooder. Somehow there was a dispute between HAD and Ry. Thus the amp was sold to somebody else. I met the guy who bought it once. He has the infamoous 150W ODS now. Last I heard the Silver Alligator SSS went to Japan??? And then to a reknowned shop in the US. Somehow somebody from TR worked on it. That´s what I heard......

But I really do not know much. Only that I like Dumble amps :D

Cheers,

Electron
ElectronAvalanche

deleted
Last edited by ElectronAvalanche on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:@Jay:

what amp are you referring to? The one on the small pic with the 12AX7?

If you are referring to the silver alligator amp (the one that uses EF86), this amp was referred to me as being a SSS. It did not have the Filter section btw.

If you serviced that amp, could you please confirm he preamp schemo I posted? I only have photocopied pictures of it and the parts list.

How would you define a SSS? Is the Dumbleland a SSS without the Filter section?

I heard the story, that the Silver Alligator "SSS" was built for Ry Cooder. Somehow there was a dispute between HAD and Ry. Thus the amp was sold to somebody else. I met the guy who bought it once. He has the infamoous 150W ODS now. Last I heard the Silver Alligator SSS went to Japan??? And then to a reknowned shop in the US. Somehow somebody from TR worked on it. That´s what I heard......

But I really do not know much. Only that I like Dumble amps :D

Cheers,

Electron
AMEN BROTHER!! LOL!!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I know it was for sale at overland express just a couple of months ago, they're in MO, USA
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
jay

Post by jay »

Just talk to the person dumble gave the amp to.It was a one off built as a blues amp. It has nothing to do with the s.s.s.
ElectronAvalanche

Hi Jay,

can you tell us a bit about the amp, I mean technicalwise? Did you trace it? If so, is the preamp schematic I drew up correct?

How do the SSS differ from this amp?

Is the lack of filters the only difference? The Silver Alligator amp did not use Fender PT or OT, but a MusicMan Power Transformer and some Triad OT.

Cheers

Electron
Last edited by ElectronAvalanche on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay

Post by jay »

Electron
You have the first tube right,but the feed back on the second tube is taken off the cathode of a third tube .
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

Electron

You wouldn't happen to remember the pot values for the two bias trim pots comming off the 100k cathode resistors on the CF for that SSS you saw, would you?

DT

PS - Did it run ultra-linear, or with halved B+ on the screens like the SVT?
ElectronAvalanche

Hi DT,

the bias pots were 10k each. shunt resistors bias adjust: 2x10k and 2x 47k, 2x30k, 2x330k (take a look at the SVT Bias section).

PI: Input cap 50nF (Sprague 6PS), Output caps 100nF (6PS), Feedback cap 100nF (6PS), PI Anode resistors 120k, 5k anode balance trimmer, PI grids 1M, Cathode 24k, tail 820R. NFL-Resistor 2k2 (2W), 100R termination resistor on NFL, 500R Presence control,3u3F cap on Presence (ICC).

Post-PI Buffer:

150k grid resistors
100k cathode resistors

Output tubes: 500Ohm Screens, 1k5 grids, 10R cathode on each tube pair.

Cheers,

Electron
ajb

Dumbleland update (was SSS) :D

Post by ajb »

i got a coupla ?'s on the schematic on the SSS preamp:

the "middle" control: is it a log pot or linear pot?

and the pots that say "log". are they log "a" or log "b".

i appreciate it very much. and muchos gracias for the dumble sss preamp schematic. i kno its not the whole thing, but u gotta start sumwhere. :D
"If I just go with what's in my heart, and let it come out, then I'm okay." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

So Ill link the filter shots from the sterling and post some questions:
What are the values on these?
What do they connect to?
What does the eq switch do?
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2608
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2613
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2607
Max

Post by Max »

jay wrote:Just talk to the person dumble gave the amp to.It was a one off built as a blues amp. It has nothing to do with the s.s.s.

Jay is right:

This "silver alligator" is indeed a "one off" amp. Henry Kaiser once told me, that HAD called it the "pentode amp". It has nothing more to do with a SSS as any other Dumble amp. If you are after the sound of a SSS, you probably better take a different road.

Cheers

Max
Max

Post by Max »

jay wrote:Just talk to the person dumble gave the amp to.It was a one off built as a blues amp. It has nothing to do with the s.s.s.

Jay is right:

This "silver alligator" is indeed a "one off" amp. Henry Kaiser once told me, that HAD called it the "pentode amp". It has nothing more to do with a SSS as any other Dumble amp. If you are after the sound of a SSS, you probably better take a different road.

Cheers

Max
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

So back to trying to understand the SSS...what are the values of the filter switches that are known? What do they control, where and how? It this what causes the harmonic singing effect?
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Post diverted here

Funkalicousgroove wrote:
Max wrote:
glasman wrote:
Sounds like the SSS, I hear some verb on the guitar. Of course that could have been added later.

Even cooler is the Dumble 4x12 cab. Think SRV is the only one I have every seen use one.

Steel String Singer 150 Watt and Dumble 4x12 together with a Vibroverb to drive the Leslie was SRVs usual live set-up in the middle eigthies.

A good example of the sound and (still more important) a lot of exciting music you find on the "Live at Montreux" double DVD (DVD #2) recorded in 1985.

But concerning the SSS used by SRV always remeber, that the preamps of SRVs SSS are rather different from a "normal" SSS. Stevie's SSS are more similar to a Dumbleland with reverb, set up for maximum headroom.

A godd example of the sound of a "normal" SSS you find on Larry Carltons "Renegade Gentleman" All the Nashville tracks have been recorded with his SSS.

Cheers

Max

Lary sold his SSS long ago back to Dumble, he used it for that one album/tour and didn't like it.

SSS amps are already set up for max headroom, they DO NOT DISTORT at any volume level. WHat is different about SRV's amp is the setup of the Hi-Lo filters, and the removal of some of the positive feedback loops within the amp.

Hi Brandon,

How then do you interpret this part of the Guitar Player Interview?

GP: "Stevie Ray Vaughn calls his Steel String Singer the King Tone Consoul.

HAD: "There are some different things about Stevie's (Max: SSS). His (Max: SSS) is set up more like a bass amp (Max: Dumbleland Special for bass guitar), modified to accomodate the guitar range (Max: EQ and filter network not as in a usual Dumbleland Special for bass, but more similar to the EQ- and filter-network of a Dumbleland Special for guitar or a usual SSS). It's not the usual Lead Guitar "Singer" aproach (Max: "singing" sustain and "singing" overtones without an audiable "overdrive" effect, achieved by a preamp tube with a special network, that intentionally does n o t work with maximum headroom). One thing he liked (Max: liked to be d i f f e r e n t as the usual set up of a usual SSS) was that he could turn the volume control (Max: of his unusual, custom made SSS, set up more like a Dumbleland) all the way up and it did not distort (Max: like with a usual SSS) -it just got louder".

What I read here is:

SRV used a SSS custom made by HAD with the general characteristics of a Dumbleland Special for bass with a lot of headroom (like the Dumbleland of Jackson Browne, that SRV had used for the recording of "Texas Flood") but with an EQ- and filter-network more like a Dumbleland Special for guitar or a usual SSS with the "singer" aproach, achieved by making use of an intentionally limited headroom of a preamp tube to create a special kind of harmonics, that you don't perceive as audialble "distortion" (as in an ODS in the "Overdrive" mode) but as a sustaining "singing" lead guitar sound, that is a bit similar to a "slide guitar sound" even if you don't play "slide".

What do you think about this?

Greetings and a wunderfull weekend

Max