Express Build Guide

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ron Worley

Express Build Guide

Post by Ron Worley »

After a TON of work, I have finally finished my Build Guide for your reading pleasure.

Please feel free to make any corrections, comments etc. either here or directly to me at flapsjr@hotmail.com

Numbered version now posted V1.0

Enjoy!!

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ron Worley on Tue May 13, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RB

Re: Express Build Guide

Post by RB »

I don’t feel that I am qualified to make any technical corrections or comments, but I do want to tell you how blown away I am by this body of work and your generosity. Thank you so much.

Randy
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

May I be the first to say...

STICKY!!!

...and yes, thank you.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Ron Worley wrote:... I have finally finished my Build Guide for your reading pleasure...
Ron,
I am starting to read it tonight :D Thanks so much for sharing this resource :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

Wow !!!!! Awesome!

If you work as hard at your day job, then I want to hire you!

I did see one little item that was left off the list. Patience :lol:
I Think I Think Too Much !
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I'm all ears, please bring on the corrections!

Ron
jjman

Post by jjman »

Great idea. Regardless of you intensions, I suggest copywriting it.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Good grief Ron:
You have really gone all out to be an positive addition to this board. Thanks very much.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Hello Ron,

Nice job. However, the picture of my amp on the top of page 52 is not the picture that illustrates the tonestack wiring. You have the "before" picture in your document. But, I would prefer not to have any of my pictures included if you're going to qualify them by saying they're "wrong."

For what it's worth in response to your comments regarding not following "proper trainwreck lead dress," when the Francesca pictures came out, I did try copying some of its' layout, particularly the wiring of the phase inverter. What I found is that it made the amp worse and I went back to the layout I had worked out based on trial and error. 8)

Best Regards,
JT
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Can I just join the chorus and say a big THANKS for doing that and for sharing it.

Post by flood »

for an absolute noob like myself with practically no experience, this guide is mana from heaven! thanks a lot, ron - i think i speak for quite a few people here, the gargatuan effort on your part in compiling this is well appreciated. kudos!
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Ron,great job ++++
Richie

Post by Richie »

great job on the ;ist..

I was reading throught it and found a few mistakes you might want to correct..

Remember Danas Ken amp build pics, was a build in progress, it may not have every thing in the amp.

You list a 3 watt metal film for the power supply stage resistors.. those are metal oxide. If your wanting to be exact.. and 3 watt.. sometimes it depends on the resistor, what they look like in size. Some 2 watters may be as big as a 3 watter in apperence.

You have cork for the bottom plate dampening.. you could also use some felt, that you can get most anywhere..with a self sticking back.

Wiring heater section---- you have one of the wiring details after the preamp going to pin 6 of V4 and V5.. that is incorrect..

Also a couple other things in this section.. the wiring for the heaters on Fran.. alternated.. through out the chain.. like v1 4 and 5.. went to pin 9 of v2.. then pin 9 of v2 went to pin 4 and 5 of v3.. also alternated on the EL34s..
Not that you can't just wire them up the same.. and some other wrecks are not like this..but if you want to copy the exact amp..then that was how it was wired. I've seen other amps alternate like that too..

And last.. for the analists.. the resistors are placed in one certian directions..same with the signal caps..
I think i remembed also seeing the Stancor listed wrong.. Its a A-3801.. not an A-3081
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I have modified the document to note that I have chosen to wire my heaters "in-phase" as I was taught from my Fender days. It was intentional.

I have changed the composition on the BOMs to indicate Metal Oxide for the PS dropping resistors (and the Grid stoppers, which are the same type on my amp)

I knew that somebody would take offense somewhere. Mr. Treehorn, your picture is removed as is your name. The Reference to the post on pot lead dress remains.

The cork idea came from a post somewhere.. but I liked the ideas enough to use it.

Dana's Ken amp info was taken exactly as it is posted... just for info

Richie- sorry, what's the Stancor?? Resistor and cap orientation are wrong on my amp, it was the first thing I did, and I was not paying attention. Next amp will be right. Regardless, this guide wasn't intended to detail my level of "analness".... just how to build the amp.

Ron
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Ron, first I would like to congratulate you on a nice looking document. As some have said here, there a few incorrect things such as name of parts and maybe procedural things but, overall I'd say that it was a nice piece of work and it will be very helpful to guys who want to build an amp. I'll try to go over it and PM you some changes. Again, nice work!