Parallel D'lator and other mods

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rogb

Parallel D'lator and other mods

Post by rogb »

It seems I am finally (well nearly) there!
The Dlator is now running in parallel mode with a TC G Sharp. The HRM 50w has also had the Fat/ Thin .05 additional mid cap mod on a switch, which helps with single coils, and the Raw/smooth local feedback lift mod too.

I hardly ever run in HRM, preferring the sound in lifted mode. The HRM would sound best in a more "attacking" Gary Moore blues rock style

I tried the PAB Fat mod but I couldn't hear much difference, perhaps because I run the mid boost on all the time. I leftt the 22M as standard.

I would highly recommend the parallel mod. With my Ceriatone layout-derived dlator, I just added 2 x 220Ks, 1 x 0.47uf and 4 extra eyelets on my board.

The G sharp isn't the greatest FX box, but in parallel I can't hear any tone degradation when I A/B back and forth. The TC unit has a killdry switch and a parallel switch, so is ideal for this. It was cheap too, just around $100 from ebay.

My thanks must go to Tom and Claus on here who gave me lots of help and support on these mods. Great work guys :lol:
bluesfendermanblues

Re: Parallel D'lator and other mods

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

:D
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
Structo

Post by Structo »

How do you like the LNFB switch (Raw / Smooth)?
It is a little subtle but I like it a lot. I use that quite a bit but not the mid cap switch, since I usually playing my Schecter Research with double humbuckers.

Yeah, well Claus did the heavy lifting.
I just helped with some pictures and stuff.

He gets full credit for that version of the loop. :D

But now you have me wanting a G Sharp. :P

**WARNING**
Impulse buy!

I just bought a TC G Sharp on ebay..... :shock:

I saw a neat idea for a head shell cab the other day.
It had the normal tubes down chassis with the control panel at the top.
But there was also a cutout at the botom of hte cap that held the Dumbleator. I thought that moi clever.
So I may have to make one of those. :D

The tolex and front grill cloth would be different but I think this idea may work pretty well.
Maybe a two rack opening on the bottom for the loop and the TC?

[img:800:600]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MHnI-B0pJ8k/TEIQk ... E%7E_3.jpg[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
rogb

Post by rogb »

Hi Tom, yeah, the Raw gives it just a little nudge, I haven't cranked it properly, but maybe today :)

The Fat definitely helps on my SC pups.

I remember the Groove Tubes Soul-O had a 1U rack space in the cab for just such a thing. I measured my cab and the 2 rack units would fit in fine at the bottom, but the Dlator would hang out the back :cry: , so unles I got the case of the Dlator laser cut down to fit, I think I will just leave em perched on the top for now.

By the way, to get your G Sharp and parallel setup JUST right, you need to do a LOT of tweaking of your Levl and Master and first Volume on the amp, all the Dlator knobs, as they affect the mix now, and the G Sharp, if you want the 2290 ducking delay to work just right. I have spent HOURS fiddling with it... good fun though :D
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

rogb wrote: By the way, to get your G Sharp and parallel setup JUST right, you need to do a LOT of tweaking of your Levl and Master and first Volume on the amp, all the Dlator knobs, as they affect the mix now, and the G Sharp, if you want the 2290 ducking delay to work just right. I have spent HOURS fiddling with it... good fun though :D
Rogb, could post your amp and D'lator setting, Please?? Off course they will depend on the pickups used.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
rogb

Post by rogb »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
rogb wrote: By the way, to get your G Sharp and parallel setup JUST right, you need to do a LOT of tweaking of your Levl and Master and first Volume on the amp, all the Dlator knobs, as they affect the mix now, and the G Sharp, if you want the 2290 ducking delay to work just right. I have spent HOURS fiddling with it... good fun though :D
Rogb, could post your amp and D'lator setting, Please?? Off course they will depend on the pickups used.
Sure Claus,

Dlator

Drive 1.30 oclock
Return 2.30 oclock
Output - varies as it is the global master, at the moment 8 oclock
brights - off

HRM 50w with SC pups
10H Choke - on

HRM - lifted
Fat - on
Raw - off
OD trim - 9 oclock
Volume - 1 oclock
Deep - off
Mid Boost - on
Rock - on
Treble -11 oclock
Mid - 1 oclock
Bass - 1 oclock
Drive - 2 oclock
Level - 11 oclock
Master - 11 oclock
Presence - 2 oclock
Last edited by rogb on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

Congrats! How did you end up making the loop parallel?
-g
rogb

Post by rogb »

greiswig wrote:Congrats! How did you end up making the loop parallel?
Hi, I followed the schemo and layout here
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

and adapted my Ceriatone-derived layout (used because I had a Ceriatone Dlator tranny).
Tom and Claus also helped me.
Without TAG and the kind of guys on here, I would probably still be playing through my Peavey Delta Blues, OK but... :cry: :lol: