Lindley Tone-Homing In on #8

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Re: Lindley Tone-Homing In on #8

Post by David Root »

I'm a simple guy, I like aluminum because it's easy to drill and light.
59Pro

Post by 59Pro »

Havn't seen a picture of the blue light one but yes,
as far as I know both are in snakeskin tolex

Both amps are pictured in the FJ. Yes, both are snake-skin Tolex with different texture. The blue light cover is gone.
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

59Pro wrote:
Havn't seen a picture of the blue light one but yes,
as far as I know both are in snakeskin tolex

Both amps are pictured in the FJ. Yes, both are snake-skin Tolex with different texture. The blue light cover is gone.
I apologize guys, I could swear that Ben told me that the amp that we were playing through, and that he was selling at the time (late October 2008), was the Lindley ROE amp but it was the Carlos Rios suede head that he calls "Caramel". You can see it in this thread on TGP:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=473990

He was telling me about Lindley's amp and I must've just gotten confused.

Damn, I gotta stop drinking beer!

Andy
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Great link Andy, Looks like Ry Cooder is palying a 5x10" Fender Bassman !! - he always had adventurous and non-conformal gear with great tone.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the Carlos Rios Dumble has Serial no #93

Gil Ayan posted a picture of Ry Cooders Dumble as well, stating that is Ry Cooders amp was the only one of its kind, cosmetically
100K, classic stack, overdrive special – with remolo. 50 watter, Fender OT and Fender looking PT with multi-tap. Dale plate load resistors, precision MF Mepcos on V1 cathode, the rest of the resistors are all carbon comp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

heisthl wrote:
ER wrote:
The aluminum is more open sounding, clearer, more natural high end, and somewhat transformer dependent, capable of a more musical treble extension kind of thing.
They ping, or if you're into the folksy vocal harmony lingo, they 'keen'.

The steel chassis hits a ceiling at some point in the high end, and gets kinda grungy or packs up, but whatever it does, it doesn't have the transparency that the aluminum has.
Somebody needs a shovel
+1

forget magic... and get back to technology

does anyone have pointers to some scientific comparison test between alu and steel chassis?
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:Great link Andy, Looks like Ry Cooder is palying a 5x10" Fender Bassman !! - he always had adventurous and non-conformal gear with great tone.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the Carlos Rios Dumble has Serial no #93

Gil Ayan posted a picture of Ry Cooders Dumble as well, stating that is Ry Cooders amp was the only one of its kind, cosmetically
100K, classic stack, overdrive special – with remolo. 50 watter, Fender OT and Fender looking PT with multi-tap. Dale plate load resistors, precision MF Mepcos on V1 cathode, the rest of the resistors are all carbon comp.
#93 then is the one that Ben had that I played. Luckily enough I had my own Tele with me on that gig so I got to hear it with my guitar---it was alright, didn't really kill me. Ben was trying to sell it hard!

Andy
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

llemtt wrote:
heisthl wrote:
ER wrote:
The aluminum is more open sounding, clearer, more natural high end, and somewhat transformer dependent, capable of a more musical treble extension kind of thing.
They ping, or if you're into the folksy vocal harmony lingo, they 'keen'.

The steel chassis hits a ceiling at some point in the high end, and gets kinda grungy or packs up, but whatever it does, it doesn't have the transparency that the aluminum has.
Somebody needs a shovel
+1

forget magic... and get back to technology

does anyone have pointers to some scientific comparison test between alu and steel chassis?

Yes, a GIANT shovel!!!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

both are grey snakeskin #2 is on ROE #8 is on the el rayo x stuff
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
ER

Steel Shovels

Post by ER »

:oops: Hey guy's I didn't write that, it was a quote from Steve Kimock from the gear page. I thought it could have something to do with things that I saw on the spectographs comparing a first generation to a later amp, I guess not. I noticed exactly what kimock describes and thought that could be a part of it.

-ER[/quote]
ER

Post by ER »

No starve switch on #2?

17" chassis?

Volume(1m), Bright, ?(mid boost or deep)?, Rock/jazz, T(1M)M(250K)B(1M), OD/foot switch, overdrive(?), master(?), accent.??

Bassman iron.

Any other clues? Max, if not orange drop than ?. Rectifier on wall?

Wood board?
Max

Post by Max »

ER wrote:No starve switch on #2?

17" chassis?

Volume(1m), Bright, ?(mid boost or deep)?, Rock/jazz, T(1M)M(250K)B(1M), OD/foot switch, overdrive(?), master(?), accent.??

Bassman iron.

Any other clues? Max, if not orange drop than ?. Rectifier on wall?

Wood board?
As far as I remember now:

chassis: bit smaller then second generation etc. and as far as I remember most probably no steel.

starve switch:

#1 yes
#2 no
#4 yes
#8 no

controls:

volume, bright, deep, guitar/mic, treble, middle, bass, manual/pedal, OD, master, accent

bassman iron (most probably)

formica (?) board

dark brown "drops", dark red "drops", middle red "drops"

rectifier not on wall, fet not on wall, layout and schematic different then second and third generation.

Cheers

Max
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thank you again Max. Anyone able to identify those caps at all from Max's description?

I have two '67 AB165 Bassman heads. I think I will look into a major mod on one of them, or maybe just take the iron out of one and put it in a new chassis, probably a better idea.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Sure, they are GE(purpleish), RCA(Maroon), and CDE(redish brown/chocolate brown) 600V dipped caps, PF caps are also silver mica. and the resistors are most likeley Piher carbon comp. Good luck finding those!! I have a few and I have looked far and wide!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thank you Funk. I bet they would all be very hard to find now. I guess they would be polyester/paper construction. Maybe Black Cats would do, I have a few of those in the smaller sizes.

I would assume the silver micas would be the old style domino types, right? Those can still be had.
smzinno

Post by smzinno »

There seems to be some contradiction even within the direct quotes from David Lindley regarding which amp was used on ROE. In the "amps for sale" thread he is quoted as saying it's #008 used on that album and el-rayo X stuff, and has never been modded or upgraded by Dumble. He also states that #002 has been serviced often by Dumble and is not in it's original condition.

However, the FJ mag article quotes him as saying that #002 was used on ROE in answering a specific question about that album, also no ambiguity in the text.

Even though I suspect it's really Lindley's talent and touch that could get the tone from either amp, it would be nice to know the definitive answer when discussing the technical details of these two amps. I'm enjoying the discussion is any case.
steve z.