Trainwreck Clone Help

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

59strat

Trainwreck Clone Help

Post by 59strat »

I am new here but not to guitars/forums etc.
I am 34, married with two kids and about to graduate college (well for my bachelors)

Wife is allowing a "graduation gift" and I think I would like to get a nice amp, I have a Peavey Classic 30 and a Blues Jr. both are nice but are by no means high end amps.

I was looking at a ceriatone expression amp.
I play mostly blues, blues rock, classic rock etc and was wondering if this amp would fit the bill?

I have heard of the trainwreck name and realize they are high quality amps, this is of course just a clone of said amp, but was wondering if overall this would be something I would enjoy for that type of music?

Thanks for any help guys!
mcrracer

Re: Trainwreck Clone Help

Post by mcrracer »

Are you buying one already built or are you planning to build it yourself? In my opinion it would fit the bill rather nicely.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

The Express is perfect for blues and classic rock! It has an amazing amount of cut and IMO the perfect amount of distortion for most situations. You never have a problem standing out in the mix but it's just as easy to back down and blend in with whoever you are playing with. You play the amp as much as you play the guitar which is half of the fun of the Express.

I was using mine for a good while with my band before I blew the speaker in the 1x12 cab I was using. I can't use the Express with a 4x12 cab in a jam setting though, it's much too loud!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
paulster

Post by paulster »

The Express is a great amp for blues through to rock, but its volume really belies its size! Just bear that in mind in your decision.

The one thing I'd say against the Ceriatone is that the output transformer doesn't really cut the mustard when compared to one of the Heyboer or Pacific transformers that most of us use for our builds, or indeed a vintage Stancor if you can get hold of one (as used in the earlier, blusier Expresses).

Depending on whether you want something assembled or to build yourself I'd consider either getting the Ceriatone minus transformers and sourcing the more correct ones locally (it'll save you a bundle on shipping anyway which will help cover the cost of the transformers), or getting the parts from the various guys here that supply them at almost cost and having a fun project building your own.
59strat

Post by 59strat »

The one I was looking at was already built.

I have some experience soldering etc as I have built a pedal and modified a few.

The idea of getting a partial kit then buying the other parts to finish it out sounds like fun!

Based on what you said paulster, I can simply buy the kit and say no tubes and no transformers and have a good start?

Thanks for the answers guys!
paulster

Post by paulster »

Yes, you can. Nik is pretty accommodating.

If he can supply them I'd also try to get the PVC series of caps rather than Mallory 150s or whatever he uses as standard these days. The right type of cap is probably third on the list after transformers and tubes in terms of the getting the Express sound. It's not crucial and he uses turrets on his boards so swapping them later if you want to isn't a huge deal, but if you can get the PCVs up front I'd go for it.

Oh, and tell you you won't be wanting a OT primary impedance switch, so get a blind grommet for that hole. Nik usually puts on a switch to choose between a 5K2 (Liverpool) and a 6K6 (Express) primary on his transformers but a correct Express one has only a 6K6 primary, and the vintage-spec ones you'll be using won't have dual primaries.

RJ Guitars or Allynmey here can hook you up with transformers since I guess that you're in the States, and you can pick from Heyboer (from RJ) or Pacific (from both).

Good luck with the project. You've come to the right place anyway. 8)
59strat

Post by 59strat »

I am not set on getting one yet but I am getting close!

can I look up those guys on forum here?
marcoloco961

Post by marcoloco961 »

59strat wrote:I am not set on getting one yet but I am getting close!

can I look up those guys on forum here?

Yup, just look for Allynmey or RJ Guitars. I believe both have links at the bottom of their posts. Beware, this is addicting!!!!
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle »

59 Strat, I have just gone through the exact same exercise you are looking at.
I got the kit assembled form NIK minus the transformers, I did however get the correct Caps from Allyn and sent them to Nik to put in for me.
I ordered the Transformers from Heyboer and a VVR from Dana (Hall Amplification) and got a local tech to put the final pieces in for me.
I am thoroughly impressed with the outcome especially given the cost. Best of luck....... :D
59strat

Post by 59strat »

Gargoyle wrote:59 Strat, I have just gone through the exact same exercise you are looking at.
I got the kit assembled form NIK minus the transformers, I did however get the correct Caps from Allyn and sent them to Nik to put in for me.
I ordered the Transformers from Heyboer and a VVR from Dana (Hall Amplification) and got a local tech to put the final pieces in for me.
I am thoroughly impressed with the outcome especially given the cost. Best of luck....... :D
Posts like this are not making it any easier!
I am looking/reading.
We will see what happens!
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

One of the things about these amps (TrainWrecks) is that they can be controlled with the volume knob on your guitar.

Here is Glen Kuykendall talking about the amp and what it is like using it. I highly recommend watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc3Xi6aA ... re=related

If you can use the high volume this is one of, if not The finest sounding amplifiers there is.

Here's another demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8

The clones are very close, from what I have heard. But go on YouTube and listen to the demos for yourself.

Ken
Structo

Post by Structo »

These are very loud amps! :shock:
They scream at full tilt.

Not for bedroom use. :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I received a Rocket kit from Allyn and he was fantastic with quality and expertise...he is the master and top dog on this site. I have also had the pleasure of receiving excellent advice from RJ. Both are the real deal.

The other day I listened to an Overdrive Special sound clip on the Ceriatone page...why did I do that.
Greg
Greg

Post by Greg »

Correction...It was called the Overtone Special. Dumble clone I think
Greg
Greg

Post by Greg »

opps...that was not a plug for Dumble clones but Ceriatone as a clone supplier and or source for research...The Express and Rocket clone clips there sound great also.

My Rocket is about as sweet as they come...thanks Allyn!
Greg