G Major + D'Lator unity gain...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blindog

G Major + D'Lator unity gain...

Post by Blindog »

I use my G Major with my Redplate loop, and I think it sounds great, but I have always wondered about the the optimal settings for the Input and Output level controls on the G Major.

My preferred settings right now are to set the amp's master volume at about 4-5 and the loop send at unity. The G Major's input is set about 3/4 full to at this point and I don't get much input clipping on the display. I use the loop return as my new master.

Just wondering if you G Major users have any "optimal" settings.

Thanks!

Mark
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
dogears

Re: G Major + D'Lator unity gain...

Post by dogears »

Yeah, set it kill dry and run it in parallel with a Suhr MiniMix II. The difference is ASTOUNDING. The TC absolutely ruins the tone, no joke.

I run a TC Gmajor 2 and a Suhr MiniMix in my small 3 space rack. What an amazing night and day difference. You won't regret it.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Agree with Scott here 110%. Spend some money on a transparent parallel loop to go with your d'lator - it's the the living end! You can put nearly any device there then with no worries. Spending all that time tweaking your amp to leave it at the mercy of inexpensive digital conversion is for the birds. I am sure it sounds great now - even greater after. By many magnitudes.
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

'Nuff said, I'm on the hunt for a Suhr Mini Mix.

Thank you gentlemen 8)

Mark
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
Structo

Post by Structo »

So you have to use the Dumblator and the Suhr device?

Why not just make the Dumbleator a parallel loop?

And Scott, when you say "ruins the tone" is that meaning it is good to the tone? Like saying something is sick?

I must be getting old, I'm not up on all the slang! :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dogears

Post by dogears »

Nah... The TC sounds like nasty elephant ass. It destroys (in a really bad way) the dynamics and organicness of the analog tone. It has horrid conversion. To make matters worse, if you set the input gain on it to handle the clean channel, it is way too low on the OD, further exacerbating the tone suck of the converters.

On my small rack I use the Suhr MiniMix and TC G-Major 2, and Glaswerks Matchbox.

On my big rack I have the Sound Sculpture Switchblade and Loopalator. The Switchblade is an 8X8 midi controlled routing matrix. I can program both parallel and series at any time! I have the 2290 and Eclipse in that rack.
Structo wrote:So you have to use the Dumblator and the Suhr device?

And Scott, when you say "ruins the tone" is that meaning it is good to the tone? Like saying something is sick?

I must be getting old, I'm not up on all the slang! :lol:
talbany

Post by talbany »

The TC Electronics new mascot..

I hope the patch on his jeans holds

Tony. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

:lol: :lol:
OK, so I take it they made improvements on their later gear?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

dang double
Last edited by Blindog on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

To make matters worse, if you set the input gain on it to handle the clean channel, it is way too low on the OD, further exacerbating the tone suck of the converters.
Yes, that's one thing I did not like about it.

Scott, I think I have a good line a gently used MiniMix II. I'm sure I'll have a question or two about when I get it!

Mark
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

Structo wrote:So you have to use the Dumblator and the Suhr device?

Dunno Tom, I guess I just want to keep the D'lator the way it was designed. Plus Henry's loop is built into a compact chassis (not rack) and things are tight in there already!

Mark
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

It was much easier for me to buy a device. I am sure where there is a will - there is a way. As long as the creamy goodness of the d'lated tone is sent to the effect front end - then paralleled back.
Steven_nl

Post by Steven_nl »

I bought a Rocktron Xpression for that reason. It has an internal mixer. The dry signal stays analog. Only the wet signal goes throught the A/D converter.
glasman

Post by glasman »

Steven_nl wrote:I bought a Rocktron Xpression for that reason. It has an internal mixer. The dry signal stays analog. Only the wet signal goes throught the A/D converter.
Me too :). Also have an Intelifex at the recommendation of Gil Ayan.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

That's the way every mfgr should do delays & verbs. Are all Rocktron multi effects like this - and do you like the verbs and tape delays provided? And is the Intellifex a legacy product? I don't see info on their site. Thanks

I'm digging my setup because I can use anything I have at home in there now. Lexicons, DL4, stomp boxes, etc.. Before, I always ran the amp dry and sent the dumbleator out to effects & a satellite. Less is more.