Just completed my Ginny !

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dmouse

Just completed my Ginny !

Post by dmouse »

I finished the soldering over the holiday, and the troubleshooting late Wednesday evening. The only Snafu I had was the 2nd grounded input jack, Duh! I wanted to fire it up so bad, then I remembered the shorting jack and clipped the wires to it and VOILA!!! Sound!!!!!! Man!!! This thing is loud!!! I tell you, it is something else.
I set the bias around 45ma and it sounds great!
She may not be a true "Clone" but she is surely inspired! I used the wiring I had available so my wire coloring is not period correct, but I'm Happy!! :lol:
I had junk preamp tubes in it for initial fire up and replaced them with Amperex you talk about waking this thing up!!!! WHOOEY!!!
My buddy has a set of Mullards I am getting from him next week to put in her. Can't wait!!
I am so pleased she is finished, and the sound has exceeded my expectations!!
Thanks all, for this forum, your sharing your experience and wisdom to those of us who are embarking on building this instrument of expression!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ampmike

Congrads

Post by ampmike »

AlRIGHT!!!!!!Happy for ya.Its a great moment to hear your amps first sounds.
I remember how excited I got.Enjoy your new ampBrother,Mikey
M Fowler

Re: Just completed my Ginny !

Post by M Fowler »

Congrats and it looks like you did a nice job building this amp.

Mark
apache

Post by apache »

Sounds like a great build! What brand el34s did you use? Any tips for building one, I'm planning to build one in the near future.
dmouse

Post by dmouse »

The EL 34's that she has currently are Sovtek's from the Reflector Factory. These are just my fire up/ test tubes. I will be installing Mullards this weekend.
I fired it up with old preamp tubes, then we installed Amperex 12AX7's in V1 and V2 then put a 60's RCA 12AX7 in the Phase inverter.
analog_stud

Post by analog_stud »

Looks good! How's it sounding so far? Are those PS-filters "Atoms"? or Tech-caps as well?
dmouse

Post by dmouse »

All are Tech Caps, sounds pretty good and well within my price range.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Great job, looks nice and clean. These sure are monsterously loud. Good tubes really make a difference!

What changes did you make dmouse?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
dmouse

Post by dmouse »

I just followed the BOM and that's about it. been playing through an old 69' marshall 4x12 cab with 30 watt drivers, and tried out an old 2x12 sealed Hilgen cab with 25 watt pre Rola greenbacks and have a lot of distortion on note decay. didn't experience this with the 4x12. I think I'll need to go through the speakers they may be a little tired.