Tragic news...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tonegeek

Tragic news...

Post by Tonegeek »

Bill Maddox, frequent drummer with Eric Johnson has been shot and killed. I saw them perform many times and he was my favorite of all the drummers that played with EJ. His drumming style was fluid and expressive. He will be missed.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/was ... 51611.html
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Colossal

Re: Tragic news...

Post by Colossal »

Just terrible news! :cry: I saw Bill with Eric Johnson last year at Houston House of Blues. It was a phenomenal show. What a sad, sad shame. :cry: Just yesterday on the local (Houston) news I saw a ticker that said a man had been shot during a home invasion in Austin. Awful to find out it was Bill Maddox.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

What a shame!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

RIP Bill, you'll be missed.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I know this is Texas, but how in hell can someone with a serious mental competency problem get a handgun? That guy should be committed to a secure mental hospital indefinitely.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

That really sucks. This would be quite impossible at my house. What a shame.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

David Root wrote:I know this is Texas, but how in hell can someone with a serious mental competency problem get a handgun? That guy should be committed to a secure mental hospital indefinitely.
I agree, however gun laws are very loose and who knows at what point he was diagnosed. He could have had it from his childhood. which brings up, how do kids get guns? It's not hard. He probably got it from a friend.
The question that sparks in my mind is why was this guy was not under watch or already committed?
He'll go to trial they will plead insanity and he will be hospitalized on the tax payers dime, heavily medicated and possibly released depending on his progress if the family does not appeals his release. 10-15 years he could be your neighbor. it's the USA legal system a winner.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Besides killing someone he has also bankrupted his family, just wait for the civil suit.
daydreamer

Post by daydreamer »

If the world needed another definition of tragic, it just got one.

I'm glad that in Oz we have very tight gun laws because there are plenty of mentally ill about...

The Gov reacted very strongly when we had Australia's worst mass killing (Port Arthur Massacre, 35 dead 21 wounded in 1996, mentally ill killer), the laws were changed over night and the buy back went on for years.

I think it is time america got hold of it's out of control gun situation, every day we hear of more school kids dead, mass killings, snipers etc.

It seems that more damage is being done than being avoided.

I really want to visit, but when my cousins in rural North Carolina insisted my uncle not go to the local store alone in the car for fear of car-jacking, I'm not so sure I want to risk my life for a holiday.

Police and Troops should have guns, ,lots of BIG guns, everyone else NO. I heard more people are killed with there OWN gun than the intruders? Is that true?...

Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe this sort of thing is the price that is paid for having such a great country as you do, with it's freedom etc, but it sucks for these two families, thats for sure.

Oh, and we lost a good drummer, as if we can affford to keep doing that... :cry:
"Too young to know, too old to listen..."

Suze Demachi- Baby Animals
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Eh let's not turn this thread into a political rant about gun control. It's a very tragic story but we can't blame the gun for pulling the trigger ever, it's just a means to an end for some poor, tortured souls..

I'm not sure if I ever saw this drummer live but I'm sure he was a top notch player if he was with EJ. Very sad indeed.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Cliff Schecht wrote:Eh let's not turn this thread into a political rant about gun control. It's a very tragic story but we can't blame the gun for pulling the trigger ever, it's just a means to an end for some poor, tortured souls..

I'm not sure if I ever saw this drummer live but I'm sure he was a top notch player if he was with EJ. Very sad indeed.
+1000000
TheGimp

Post by TheGimp »

Gun restrictions work as well as drug restrictions in the USA.

Oh wait, drug laws don't work either. :(

Never mind.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Please no anti gun crap.

Criminals don't obey laws, that's why they are called criminals.

He could have just as easily used a knife or any other weapon.

A tragic end for a nice guy.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

does anyone have a video or a link we can share to see his drumming in action?
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Bill Maddox was in the ElectroMagnets

Here's a clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXD2sK25BdU