Weber Kits No Longer Include Cabinets

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Weber Kits No Longer Include Cabinets

Post by Structo »

Not sure how many of you have seen this.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/wccabs.htm

That's a shame as that was one of the things you could depend on Weber for, a good cab built right and on time.

This is going to hurt them.
I wonder why it would change all of a sudden like that?
Kids taking over business?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
selloutrr

Re: Weber Kits No Longer Include Cabinets

Post by selloutrr »

probably. IMO they could close and not be missed. I've never had a possitive experience dealing with them. horrible customer service, rude response, and long wait times.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

That's a shame as that was one of the things you could depend on Weber for, a good cab built right and on time.
I have one head cab from them. The tweed is bubbling all over the place so I'm not sure about the built right part.

I agree, I wouldn't miss them if they went under.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

The economy is fragile... The bottom line for services is showing

If have the tools, you can build your own for next to nothing...

DIY... right?
lazymaryamps
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

good news for Mojotone! Bad news for me - it already takes 6 weeks for Mojotone to make my cabinet.

Might be time to make the switch over to Mather
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

But look at it this way, they have the BOM structures and can always bring them back if they think the market will bear it. They were probably soaking their builders too much.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Props to Weber for posting a straightforward notice to the public. Companies that communicate honestly and directly with me win.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That is strange because mostly I have read that their cabinets were pretty good, especially for the price they charged.
Even when their electronic parts in their kits were getting a bad rep, most always gave the cabs a thumbs up.

But as with most things, the people that are happy or not had issues rarely make an effort to publicly say so, just the ones that have bad experiences are motivated to post reviews.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
NickC

Post by NickC »

Structo wrote: ............. the people that are happy or not had issues rarely make an effort to publicly say so, just the ones that have bad experiences are motivated to post reviews.
Okay, I'll confess.

I've ordered from Weber maybe a dozen or so times over the last 18 months (got a lifetime supply of free Weber T-Shirts too). I have no complaints.

One of the socket center posts in the Bias Rite I purchased broke off in a socket. It don't consider it a product defect. I epoxied it back together and it works fine.

I purchased one of their speakers for a Deluxe Reverb clone I built. It took awhile for them to make it ... which I expected. Sure, I would have LOVED instant gratification ...... delivery at the door 5 minutes after I ordered it ...... but I don't give serious consideration to my gear-lust fantasies ..... at least not publicly. :wink:

The speaker sounds great by-the-way!
backpack

Post by backpack »

My cab wasnt perfect but definitley nice for what I paid.
I am happy with what I received based on the price.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Shame about the lapse in the one-stop shop concept. I've only ever got one cabinet from Weber (and maybe its just become more valuable? ;-)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
boots

Post by boots »

I have always had the best of experiences dealing with Weber, although I've never ordered cabinets from them.

Anyone that can build an amp can probably also build a good quality cabinet. If you have a table saw and a router, you can do nearly anything you need to do as far as cabs go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Greetings boots,

Those dovetail joints, and cab, look great.

I have routers, but no dovetail jig. What jig would you recommend?

Best Wishes,
Nick
boots

Post by boots »

I used a Porter Cable jig. Kind of a pricey tool, but it works great. I'll need to get a lot more use out of it if I am to justify the purchase! It can do finger joints as well, but you have to buy an optional template for it. I have used the table saw to do finger joints, but they always seem to come out less than perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Structo wrote: That's a shame as that was one of the things you could depend on Weber for, a good cab built right and on time.
Really? That's not been my experience. I've only bought 2 cabs from them and I waited months with constant promises of "next week". A year later the tolex was peeling off of one.