Telefunken is now Telebroken

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Telefunken is now Telebroken

Post by vibratoking »

I was working on my 183 clone last night with a nice Telefunken in V1. Kind of an expensive tube. I was tightening a screw and when I was done, I just nicked the tit on end of the tube with a small screwdriver as i was putting it down. Wouldn't you know it? Knocked the tit right off. Telefunken is now Telebroken. Bummer...Any experiences or ideas any of you more experienced guys want to share? I suppose I could go to great lengths to pull a vacuum again, but it doesn't seem worth it.
overtone

Re: Telefunken is now Telebroken

Post by overtone »

Did that to a Mazda recently. I don't deserve these tubes.
Early last week I thought I should try some cork sniffing and rolled my way through about forty different EL84s for an SE amp. The winner by a long way, even over several TFKs, was a humble Telam. So I carefully cleaned the pins to prepare for some earth shattering rocking and promptly broke pin 9 clean off!
It is safer not to roll around. Just plug and go.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

This is why we can't have nice things! :lol:
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

The one that sticks with me was an old set of RCA 6550 matched pair. I didn't take the time to examine the key and just assumed when the tube socket excepted the tube it was in the correct pins. ... Not so much :oops: It lit up, sparked, and took out the tube, OT and everything within 6" of the tube.

Now I double check the key.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge