Source for 100 Ohm carbon comp 5%?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gktamps

Source for 100 Ohm carbon comp 5%?

Post by gktamps »

Hello,
I'm looking for a reasonably priced source of carbon composition 100 Ohm 5% resistors, but the big catalog shops only seem to have 1/4 and 1/4 watt.
Thank you!
Greg
ampbldr2

Re: Source for 100 Ohm carbon comp 5%?

Post by ampbldr2 »

Check out http://tubesandmore.com/
Call them up and see if they can asist.
There web shows some 82 ohm 1/2 watt allen brady.

I would stay away from mouser carbon comp stuff. I had a bad experience years ago and will never buy carbon comp again. I use Carbon Film or Metal Film.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Surfsup - yes, some of the prices are crazy. I saw some listed elsewhere for $12-13 each!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Check with Steve and Apexjr
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Thank you - Steve has them at $1.85 each.
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

ampbldr2 wrote:I would stay away from mouser carbon comp stuff. I had a bad experience years ago and will never buy carbon comp again. I use Carbon Film or Metal Film.
What was exactly the "bad experience" you had. What was the brand? Do you mean you'll never use carbon comp again period, or just from Mouser?

I just purchased and used some Ohmite Little Demons in a Dlator I built. It's very quiet and sounds great. I don't know if Ohmite is considered "mojo containing". But as a stable resistor with no odd behaviours, I have been happy so far.

edit: I forgot to mention the most important part of the above statement. I got the resistors from Mouser.

@ gktamps; what watt resistor are you wanting? These guys have nice selection although 100 ohm are not in values above 1/2 watt. What about using two in series or parallel to get what the value you need.

http://tubedepot.com/resistors.html
Last edited by SoundPerf on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

SoundPerf - sorry - looking for 1 watt resistors. Yes, thought about paralleling two 1/2 watt, but 200 Ohm aren't common values, and I'd like to keep it down to one part if possible. Cheers.
ampbldr2

Post by ampbldr2 »

SoundPerf wrote:
ampbldr2 wrote:I would stay away from mouser carbon comp stuff. I had a bad experience years ago and will never buy carbon comp again. I use Carbon Film or Metal Film.
What was exactly the "bad experience" you had. What was the brand? Do you mean you'll never use carbon comp again period, or just from Mouser?

I just purchased and used some Ohmite Little Demons in a Dlator I built. It's very quiet and sounds great. I don't know if Ohmite is considered "mojo containing". But as a stable resistor with no odd behaviours, I have been happy so far.

@ gktamps; what watt resistor are you wanting? These guys have nice selection although 100 ohm are not in values above 1/2 watt. What about using two in series or parallel to get what the value you need.

http://tubedepot.com/resistors.html
Many years ago I built a 18w tmb with carbon comp from mouser and not quite sure the manufacture at that time but they drifted in tollerance 20-30 % and destroyed the tone of the amp. I swore never to by carbon comp junk from them again.
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

what position are these 100 ohms for?
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Just out of curiosity.....
You can buy 1 Watt Carbon Film resistors for 18 cents. What is the advantage of paying that kind of money for "Carbon Comp".....?
Thanks
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Hi,
I'm putting a Retro-King 18 watt combo back to stock. The 100 ohm resistors are the screen resistors - one to each power tube.
There are a number of layout and component value changes in this amp compared to original, and it's got great tone.
True - carbon film are way cheaper, but part of the problem here was that a power tube failed, shorting the screen, blowing the carbon comp screen resistor. I could have just replaced the tubes, and then changed the resistors to carbon film, but then I'd want to add a fuse. About the same cost as just replacing the carbon comps they used, and no mods needed.
I'm open to discussion, however, so please share your thoughts.
Cheers
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

you might want to increase the value to 220 or even 470o and the wattage to 2 for extra safety.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Thanks for that. Interesting thing is Retro-King put the socket-mounted 100 Ohm resistors in series with board-mounted resistors (forget the value at the moment).
I'm guessing they use CC resistors not just for perceived/real tonal characteristics, but also to act as a sort of fuse, but are the carbon film resistors able to serve that same purpose?
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I can guarantee that the carbon comps on the tube sockets drift way out of range with the heat.... just sayin.