Best Express Output Transformer.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

leadfootdriver

Best Express Output Transformer.

Post by leadfootdriver »

There's the Pacific, Heyboer, and Edcor. But what about the Hammond 1650h?

Hammond makes a lot of transformers. :D
M Fowler

Re: Best Express Output Transformer.

Post by M Fowler »

Yes that transformer has been used by many and Hammond makes a quality product just costs more.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Mark,
While on the subject... What about the Triode Electronics? I believe I read a post where you used one. How would you rank them from least to favorite?

Anybody else care to chide in? This it's a good place to gather these opinions. The topic does say "Best"...

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Richie

Post by Richie »

I haven't tried evey one out there. Best= Stancor,Pacific,Heyboer Some NOS old transformers from 1959 were very good. Probably a few others. I never use Hammond OTs.
If you were ever a memeber on 18watt.com you could listen to the OT shootout. Even though its a different amp,you could get the idea. 9 different OTs to listen to. 2 different listening tests. The order was switched on the second test. Could you pick the hammond out each set? That was the easy part. Picking the Radiospares or Heyboer or Shinrok. was much harder.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Chicago transformers produced the stancor A3801 as well as the same transformer with a triad model number.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would say Stancor, Pacific, Edcor, Heyboer, MC, and then Hammond.

But that is just my preference nothing to back anything up.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

M Fowler wrote:I would say Stancor, Pacific, Edcor, Heyboer, MC, and then Hammond.

But that is just my preference nothing to back anything up.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about... You guys have ears tuned to what I'm taking about.

Any reason for the preference for the Stancor ice the others? Was the Pacific a close second?

I will see what a search on 18watt comes up with... dorrisant over there too.

Thanks guys,
Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

:roll: Research and read the old posts. It feels like we are now doing your homework for you. If you read up on TW history you would understand why the stancor and pacific come in as the top picks.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Links?
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

I've got the Edcor, Pacific, Older Heyboer and Newer Heyboer

All to do a demo clip for RJ Guitars, he sent me them some time ago, not managed to get around to recording the clips yet but the amp is in the studio and is being used with clip connectors to connect in the different OTs ready to do some recording just need to get some time off work!

Personally after trying them all my personal favourite is the Edcor using 5k2 tap.. but the Pacific 6k6 is by far and away the closest sounding to Glen Kuykendall's clips.

Jim.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Found one of the links I was looking for...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9757
Last edited by dorrisant on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tweedeluxe

Post by tweedeluxe »

JamesHealey wrote: Personally after trying them all my personal favourite is the Edcor using 5k2 tap.. but the Pacific 6k6 is by far and away the closest sounding to Glen Kuykendall's clips.
How would you describe the difference? Can't wait to hear those clips!
Richie

Post by Richie »

I would like to add, for some it may be hard to hear the differences. Most are very close. The Pacific and Stancor is almost like splitting hairs being a very very slight difference. All are based on the A3801 Stancor,just without the 250 and 500 ohm taps.
Most would probably never be able to tell they are so close. The Heboyer, their are a few different ones with different type steel used. Depending on which one you use, those too will have a slight difference. It can be hard to explain, but listening and playing is what i go by. How they react to the guitar. The thing is i don't think you can go wrong using any of them.
And it would depend on who you asked. Some may like one better than another. Almost like asking if you like cherry pie or apple. Both are good,just depends on ones taste of what they like best.

RJ is their any info on the Edcor? Did they have the info on the stancor or did they do a tear down of one to copy?

The Stancor A3801 was also made by chicago with crosses to Merit,and others. So you may be able to find one by another brand name.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Thanks for the invite into this conversation... you know I enjoy the learning and sharing part of this forum a lot.

Concerning Edcor - They custom wound "Wreckish" trannies for me, and they typify what I'll call the core characteristics of Edcor.
- They are Blue - If you want some other color - paint'em
- They use the existing frames and M6 steel that all Edcors are made from
- They use Edcor's 5 layer interwoven winding process
- Edcor worked with me to build to my specifications
- The quality and craftsmanship is awesome
- They are basically the same footprint as Stancor, Heyboer, Pacific, etc... the wiring outlet centers are a little closer than most of the others though.
- They are grossly under-rated in wattage (35W) - like the others
- They are not expensive - way cheap as a matter of fact

Edcor is just starting to become popular as a guitar amplifier transformer. I have talked to Larry over there a few times and he admits that historically he had always approached things from the HiFi point of view but understands that we like some flavors of distortion so now when I order something, he keeps that in mind.... FWIW, I've found Heyboer to really excel at knowing how things work in this world.

Edcor typically uses the same winding prototcol and M6 steel that is used on all their products. They have not been able to provide any alternatives to these at this point... they are not really being difficult, they just don't have those options at this point in time.

I plan to keep working with them, they are a really great company and located not so far way from me. I have only had one bad unit out of hundreds and they replaced it with no hassle (same for all the popular companies in similar situations).

I am really looking forward to James Healey's studio work, we'll get some great info all from the same amplifier. His early reports have been very interesting... looking forward to the sonic truth.

I want to reaffirm what someone else mentioned - Heyboer has provided two distinct styles of output transformers that became popular in the Express amps and they sound different. The dual impedance unit is known to have more "edge" to it. The single impedance units (HTS-9633 and HTS-9384) are referred to as the "vintage" series and they are supposed to have more smoothness to them - intended to be similar to the Pacific versions. We could really use data on those topics if anyone has both and has done the AB comparison.

Finally... it would also be great if anybody has done the AB on any of the other new offerings. There are a bunch of new options out there and it's always good to actually "hear" the differences.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

The Classic Tones are priced right!

http://www.classictone.net/TW-Style-Transformers.html