New project Tremolux 6g9-b

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampcabinets

darren

Post by ampcabinets »

now I remember, Jessies DR is 2 years younger than Darrens and is the drip edge, SF DR. One of them had the cover, I forget which.
Kevin (bass player) has my original 63 bassman, and 2 1x15 cabinets to match. I have another, now.
Darren, also has my 18 watter (blonde, also), as I loaned it to him for a gig, never got it back and then I just gave it to him. He uses it a lot.

again, sorry to be off topic.
pure bred calamity putz
M Fowler

Re: New project Tremolux 6g9-b

Post by M Fowler »

tubeswell wrote:How's the tremolux coming along Mark?
Pete how is it going surf king :)

I didn't follow original Fender tube location on mine but all the tubes are on the back edge, I used Weber iron, and Ken Watt's eyelet board.

I've been sick for two weeks with flu so no work has been done around my shop unfortunately. Feeling better today so just maybe I can get back at it. :)

Mark
Cliff Schecht

Re: darren

Post by Cliff Schecht »

ampcabinets wrote:now I remember, Jessies DR is 2 years younger than Darrens and is the drip edge, SF DR. One of them had the cover, I forget which.
Kevin (bass player) has my original 63 bassman, and 2 1x15 cabinets to match. I have another, now.
Darren, also has my 18 watter (blonde, also), as I loaned it to him for a gig, never got it back and then I just gave it to him. He uses it a lot.

again, sorry to be off topic.
Please keep being off topic, this is all great stuff!

So I assume you were the last one to work on this SFDR. When did you work on it last? The bias circuit looked fixed up a bit and a few odds and ends were tweaked but for the most part, this amp was completely unmolested (at least where it counts). It's got a BF circuit in it that works flawlessly and sounds great to boot! I'm not sure if I want/need to replace the bias circuit cap, but if it's been over 10 years I might do so just so this thing is completely refreshed.

Everything I did to this amp was basic maintenance stuff so Darren can gig regularly with this thing. The first fix was replacing the blown screen resistor on the 6V6, something that I think happened when the Sovtek in that socket blew. I replaced both screen resistors with 3W 470 Ohm metal-oxide parts so they shouldn't be failing anymore. I retubed it with JJ 6V6S because I know they can take 400V+ and sound good doing so. I also replaced all of the 25uF, 25V electrolytics on the turret board and the original e-caps under the dog house. Everything signal-path wise (minus the electrolytics on the cathodes) stayed unmolested.

Also the tremolo was dead in the amp but the bulb was lighting. Turned out to be a shorted wire which was an easy fix. I had to move a buss grounding point off of the wire to unshort it..

Last thing I did was put a 12AT7 in the PI slot instead of the AX7 that was in there. I prefer the AT7 in the PI in my BF Deluxe build because you can clip the power stage a bit more and the PI a bit less (more headroom when clean and more sag when pushed). Either way, the amp is back alive, almost dead-nuts on voltage/bias wise and sounds great. It's gonna be hard seeing this one walk out the door, it would be the perfect gigging amp..

I'm hoping Darren will throw more amps my way and maybe even more referrals to others. There aren't a lot of guys in town that work on old amps and the ones that do I think are swamped at all times (like 3 month turn-around times). I work for cheap, know what I'm doing and work quick so hopefully I can get more work soon, I need the money!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is some shots of the amp going together.

This is a custom chassis so I didn't follow traditional spacing but hopefully I can get this to work out. I need to mount choke and cap board yet.

Oh and properly rotate my coupling caps for outer foil as well. I left all the leads long so I could rotate them.

Still sick so I haven't worked on much lately.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Oh man, that is a great looking build! If it sounds half as good as it looks it'll be a real winner. :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks,

I'll try and keep it looking good, must just be the shiny new chassis. :)

Mark
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

Lookin sharp!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks,

I bolted on the choke, moved the caps into correct position outer foil wise and deciding on cap board location next.

Mark
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Mark,

Sorry to hear you are still fighting illness :? The amp looks great. I think you will like the sound of those Blue Molded caps.

Best,
Dave
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Dave,

Thanks bud. I'm feeling better so knock on wood :)

Mark
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Lookin' awesome Mark. I'm really looking forward to hearing some sounds out of it.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Finished this amp yesterday and I have my old Tremolux back well sort of this one will do. :lol:

The lesson I learned from this build is to follow the layout of components exactly as Fender did it do not deviate. :) It makes for long wire leads which are unnecessary like the mess in this amp.

The amp is quiet and sounds great that is all I care about.

I set it up so that I can run SS rectifier and I forgot I don't need bias pot or test points in this circuit, oh well. (bias modulating tremolo) :oops:

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

Awesomeness! I need to hear that tremolo!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Next project is a different version of my Fender Bassman 5b6 which has octal preamp called Smokey Avenue. :)

Drilled faceplate holes and mounting. Drawing up the board right now.

Mark
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

LarryLarry wrote:Awesomeness! I need to hear that tremolo!
meee tooo!
He who dies with the most tubes... wins