Rocket Dog build log

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Rocket Dog build log

Post by xtian »

I am building two Rockets, using RJ's awesome chassis and parts. (I can't believe how carefully he packs everything!) First package arrived today, so let's guit'er'done!

First question! Where should I ground the copper wire buss that sits behind the pots? In the TAG layout, it shows the copper buss bending down to the chassis and soldered to a lug. I'll have to drill a hole to make this happen (not a problem) but am open to suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Rocket Dog build log

Post by xtian »

Same question about where to ground the power tubes' cathode resistor. Layout shows a ground wire running to it's own lug in the middle of the chassis.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Still looking for tips on grounding my buss bar.

I wired the OT to headphones and applied 120vac to the PT. The best placement is as pictured, with OT rotated a few degrees clockwise.

Likewise, the choke emits far less hum if I move it a couple inches away from the PT, as shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Minor bug: I stacked the filter caps atop each other, and the bundle turned out TOO TALL for the chassis! Had to offset the top row and let them nest together closer. Now they just fit.
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

that copper bus solders to the back of the pots
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

xtian wrote:Same question about where to ground the power tubes' cathode resistor. Layout shows a ground wire running to it's own lug in the middle of the chassis.
And you are correct on this.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
xtian

Post by xtian »

Done for the day. Got a lot done.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

xtian wrote:Done for the day. Got a lot done.
Uhhh, yeah you did. Now just sockets and pots - that's always the easy part! You should have really spread out your fun over a couple days!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I know what you mean about spreading the fun out. But I'm building a second one too.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Progress.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice! Clean layout.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thanks, Colossal. Here's more. I've just finished wiring. Now I'll take a break (8 hours today!), and then look carefully at the schematic and check everything over before applying power.

I'm really happy with the power filters rotated 90 degrees clockwise. That's how the caps fit best, but it also delivers really short leads for B+ to the board. I'm less happy with my decision to run the heater wires around the far side of the power tube sockets. I think I'll run the opposite side for Rocket Dog #2. That the nice thing about building two…I can learn from my mistakes AND apply the valuable knowledge right away!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I had grounded what I think is the HT center tap (yellow with red line). But this causes the fuse to blow. Works OK without grounding this wire. What's going on here?
xtian

Post by xtian »

OK ok ok. I had the 5v pair and the HT pair wire to the wrong terminals on the rectifier tube. Damn. Got those sorted, and with only the recto tube plugged in, the recto's filaments light up, but I'm getting no DC at pin 8, and no DC at all charging up my filter caps.

Could I have burned up my recto tube?
xtian

Post by xtian »

If anyone's keeping score, you can bump me into the positive digits. I was getting no DC on the filter caps because earlier I disconnected the HT center tap, thinking that's what was blowing my fuses, when actually it was the improper wiring of the recto socket.

Now I have reconnected the HT CT, and all is well. Next up, install all tubes and see if she works! But first I'm off to play a set of modern Christian rock at church using my $175 workhorse Fender SCXD. Irony?