SoLow Watt 12A_7

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

SoLow Watt 12A_7

Post by 10thTx »

I previously shared my SoLow Watt design using ECL84 tubes and a 5879 pentode in V1. The ECL84 is a triode/pentode tube.

I decided to rewire V1 to use a 12A_7. The result is a smoother & creamier overdrive with a more transparent clearer tone ....... and sweeter harmonics.

There is a thread with more info here:
http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=13438.0

I think this is a fantastic sounding low wattage amp that sounds HUGE using a delay pedal.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: SoLow Watt 12A_7

Post by LeftyStrat »

Interesting. I have a small Blackheart Head cab I've been looking to do something with. What kind of output transformer are you using?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

The OT was given to me. As I understand it, it was probably from a PA system that had maybe 10-12 watts and probably used 6V6's.

Maybe use something like one of these:
http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/3.html

It was small enough to fit inside this amp head cab which is pretty small.
The chassis now has two less pots on the front, but it's the same chassis and head cab.

or a Princeton Reverb type trannie?

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

10thTx wrote:The OT was given to me. As I understand it, it was probably from a PA system that had maybe 10-12 watts and probably used 6V6's.

Maybe use something like one of these:
http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/3.html

It was small enough to fit inside this amp head cab which is pretty small.
The chassis now has two less pots on the front, but it's the same chassis and head cab.

or a Princeton Reverb type trannie?

With respect, 10thtx
I noticed your using the 4 ohm tap on an 8 ohm speaker. So I assume 16k primary is what the ecl84's like to see?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I noticed your using the 4 ohm tap on an 8 ohm speaker. So I assume 16k primary is what the ecl84's like to see?
That is my understanding. It sounds excellent to me and I've had NO issues with it.

With respect, 10thtx
passfan

Post by passfan »

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I've got the tubes and parts laying around to set up a couple of these and have been wondering what to do with them. Is it loud enough to require a master volume ?
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Is it loud enough to require a master volume ?
Yes, it is for what I want from it.

I think cranked this amp is probably somewhere between 3-5 watts? About the same as the VibroChamp (with 10" speaker) that I used to own except this is push/pull.

Nice thing about the PPIMV is that you can crank the preamp and lower the PPIMV to get a nice overdrive tone at moderate volume levels........... OR
lower the volume pot settings and open the PPIMV for a cleaner tone.

3-5 watts can be pretty loud, IMO.

I find the PPIMV very useful on this amp.

with respect, 10thtx
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Well now it looks like I might be building a whole bunch of ECL84-based amps. I did a "buy it now" on NOS Russian Mil-spec tubes from the Ukraine, and somehow ended up mistakenly ordering 24. :shock: But less than a dollar each. I think shipping might end up being almost as much.

Might try using a quad of them in an amp. It seems a lot of low powered amps leave me wishing for better bass response. That would bring down the z-out to 8k. And those two extra triodes I could do the post-PI cathode follower thing like an SSS.

Anyone up for a 10 watt SSS? :D
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

It seems a lot of low powered amps leave me wishing for better bass response
When I built this amp (w/5879) last Nov '11, I commented several times on the Hoffman forum how much bass response these tiny ECL84 tubes have. The ECL84 seems to accent the bass and lower mids reasonably well. I have used a Cannabis Rex and Red, White & Blues speaker with the amp.

Honestly, using a delay pedal, this amp sounds HUGE for a tiny low wattage amp.

And it seems like the ECL84 tube is pretty easy to overdrive.

And because of the bass response of the tube, I found it important to keep some of the coupling cap and cathode cap values fairly low.
Anyone up for a 10 watt SSS?
Regarding the idea of a D-inspired low watt amp .................
I thought about that idea also! I think it could be done. You'd have to use smaller cathode and coupling cap values to make it work, IMO.

I've attached a schematic on how I would approach a D-style amp using the ECL84 tubes. Tweed BluezMeister ECL84

I probably would NOT use the triodes on the ECL84 for the LTPI. Instead, I would use a 12A_7 tubes. That way I could use a lower gain 12AU7, 12AV7, or 12AY7 tube for the LTPI to ensure not overdriving the ECL84 pentodes.

with respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
passfan

Post by passfan »

10thTx wrote:
Is it loud enough to require a master volume ?
Yes, it is for what I want from it.

I think cranked this amp is probably somewhere between 3-5 watts? About the same as the VibroChamp (with 10" speaker) that I used to own except this is push/pull.

Nice thing about the PPIMV is that you can crank the preamp and lower the PPIMV to get a nice overdrive tone at moderate volume levels........... OR
lower the volume pot settings and open the PPIMV for a cleaner tone.

3-5 watts can be pretty loud, IMO.

I find the PPIMV very useful on this amp.

with respect, 10thtx
Oh, I didn't realize it had that much wattage. What effect do you think a higher plate voltage would have ? The hammond AO-44 reverb chassis I have is running a PT with a 270-0-270 secondary.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
Structo

Post by Structo »

Here is a BIN of 10 tubes for $12

But $12 shipping, I hate it when they do that.

But there are some deals for that ECL84 tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIX-Triode-Pent ... 100wt_1059
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

You may need a 5Y3GT rectifier and then drop a few volts using a VVR or a zener to not exceed the max ratings.

Although, I would guess you'd be OK and end up with maybe 297v on the ECL84 plates?

with respect, 10thtx
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

A quick one take demo of the amp. It think the overdrive is reasonably smooth. OD stands out more towards the end of the tune.

I don't there is any lack of bass tone especially when you consider it's only a small pentode only producing 3-5 watts.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

With respect, 10thtx
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Nice. Like you said, the overdrive is very transparent. What guitar/pickups did you use?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Thanks for the nice remark.

I build my own guitars. Tele with hollow body and no f-holes.

DiMarzio AirNorton bridge
DiMarzio Fast Track 1 mid
StewMac humbucker neck

Maple over Swamp ash body. Rosewood fretboard.

With respect, 10thtx