Vox recycling effort

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Vox recycling effort

Post by M Fowler »

A friend gave me this Vox combo cab and I have a complete amp already just like this combo that my kids play through some times. (2nd photo)

Measured up the cab and ordered a chassis 12.75 x 4 x 2.5 (inches) to fit the combo. Chassis by Ddawg. Just in case some one else wants to build one of these.

Using Musical Power Supply PT & OT, never used these transformers before apparently made in China. 275-0-275 & 8k OT.

I'll more then likely have to replace the Vox speaker but not before I test it.

EF86, 12Ax7, EL84's and EZ81 rectifer are going in next once I take the amp apart and punch the holes.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Vox recycling effort

Post by xtian »

Always wondered about Musical Power Supplies.

Is that an 8" speaker in there?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes that is a small 8" with room to increase to a 10" maybe celestion gold 10".

I never used these transformers before so well see. I know a bunch of 18w Marshall amps have been built using them. Not sure I'll order any more though.

Mark
rock_mumbles

Post by rock_mumbles »

I've used Musical Power Supplies transformers in a couple of 18 watt LiteIIb's and a modified 5E3 circuit. The power transformers don't seem to have very good manufacturing tolerances ... the voltages vary quite a bit, usually quite low compared to other PT's.

The 20 watt OT sounds OK but isn't very efficient so my LiteIIb with it is lower volume than my other one with ClassicTone 18 watt OT, the MPS OT doesn't sound as good either. The 20 watt OT works well in a 5E3 like circuit though ...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think using MC or other iron would be better based on quality and cost isn't much more.

I wanted to try a set and now I am so we'll see what happens. Heck we could send this amp around and see who would be the first to get it to blow. :lol:

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

M Fowler wrote:I'll more then likely have to replace the Vox speaker but not before I test it.
Might a good idea to put a 270R-470R 5W across the OT secondary (in parallel with the speaker) just in case
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks Pete that would be a good idea to add that resistor. :)

Mark
Richie

Post by Richie »

Many years ago, i built an 18 lite into one of those. Used same chassis.
And it will take a 10",but pick one that everything fits and doesn't hit on the transformers. But yeah it can be done.I may still have some pics somewhere of it.

I wanted to add. There are many useable SS amps, and a good way for some to save money. I used a SS Marshall 8080. Find one blown up,and cheap. Gut it, punch holes make a face plate etc. The chassis in those are huge. Also the PT Dana had fit the hole perfect that the SS PT came out of.

So you have a chassis, a cab, and 1x12 speaker. Gut it and build a 1x12 combo of what you want. There are a few others that along the same line,you can do the same.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

More photos.

Speaker jack added after this photo.

Also I have four Carvin 10" speakers to choose from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Mark, I have the same lil' Pathfinder Vox amp. It seemed a little small when I found it in a music store's back room. It had a 12" 85w Celestion speaker in it attached to the 6.5" hole with only one screw.

I did a little surgery on it and routed the baffle for a 10". I was able to save the grill cloth piping etc. I would do it differently and remove all of it next time including the brass looking "T" moulding.

The Hammond black steel chassis from AES is a good fit for $12.
I mounted it Valco-style from the sides with two thin wood shims.

The amp is a tweed champ pre feeding into a LTP PI to a pair of 6BM8's.
Three tubes plus recto in a compact but heavy cab.
I'm using a Princeton spec Weber 10F150. That thing just barks. Everyone is suprised that it's so loud for it's size. There is enough bass in that small cab too. I put in a speaker jack for using other cabs.
I consider it my grab and go amp. I think you will like the dimensions and the bass output.

I will try to find some pictures of it when I get home.

Marc
Heavens, an unused PI input !
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Looks great Mark
nice use of a great looking cab

Darin
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Marc I would like to see your pictures if you find them.

Darin these are great looking little amps and the solid state one I have sounds great for noodling around. But when I was given this empty one I said yeah baby I'll just stuff a chassis in there and call it good. :)

I need to get back to this project.

Mark
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Here are a few quick pics. I apologize just don't have the time to make better ones. All the iron and tubes came from a Hammond AO-44 reverb amp.

I was proud of that when I built it but now I want to clean it up a bit.
You can see that as I was carefully..... routing the baffle I got the T moulding because I didn't bather to truncate the circle. Next time I will truncate the circle to keep the material behind the T moulding.
I haven't had good luck removing the flimsy logos without breaking them so this seemed safer. But really time consuming and it could have turned out better. Doh!

It is stealthy though.

Marc
Heavens, an unused PI input !
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Marc,

Hey that looks familiar :)

Thanks for posting looks good. I will try the 8" and then put in a 10" likely.

Mark
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

M Fowler wrote:Marc I would like to see your pictures if you find them.

Darin these are great looking little amps and the solid state one I have sounds great for noodling around. But when I was given this empty one I said yeah baby I'll just stuff a chassis in there and call it good. :)

I need to get back to this project.

Mark
I have to agree...I have a AD60VT and it does sound decent( has a 12ax7 in it...funny)
Someday I may make another cab and put the SS in it and tube the Vox chassis. Again nice job. Like to hear what you think of the iron.

Darin