BadCat Unleash - Might be ideal for Express and Liverpool

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bcmatt

BadCat Unleash - Might be ideal for Express and Liverpool

Post by bcmatt »

So, it's not quite out yet, but I've been reading all about the features and it seems like a pretty ideal tool for use with Trainwrecks, because it will be able to attenuate perfectly transparently (or give more power up to a couple hundred watts or something)
http://www.badcatamps.com/blog/vacuumtu ... lshoffman/

Anyways, it seems so ideal because it would be a handy and easy tool for having post-amplifier fx loop before your guitar speaker in addition to providing us with what we use VVR and/or an Airbrake for right now.

Anyone plan on getting one of these? They are $300, but I think I real game-changer for the general consumer market. I would be tempted to build one with a kleinulator built in, but then again I have not much interest in working with transistors...
kdmay

Re: BadCat Unleash - Might be ideal for Express and Liverpool

Post by kdmay »

Isn't this just an Ultimate Attenuator??
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

schematics? :D

Hans-Jörg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

We have a Hot Cat 30 10th Anniversary Special Edition Serial # 001 at the store it is a great amp. (Bad Cat) Nice PTP circuit.

Has a 5-way tone selector to refine the clean channel, a mid-range control on the second channel and a foot switch on the second channel enables the dual master for toggle between two preset volume levels. This feature can also be utilized as a solo boost.

Mark
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It reads like a computer wrote it from search terms. Hardest thing I ever tried to understand, unless it's a load box with a line out, and then I thought...
NickC

Post by NickC »

The "Unleash" appears to be a variant of the "Leash":

http://www.badcatamps.com/the-leash/

After reading through that Unleash web page, I am strangely hankering to listen to Smell The Glove by Spinal Tap. :wink:
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

Reeltarded wrote:It reads like a computer wrote it from search terms. Hardest thing I ever tried to understand, unless it's a load box with a line out, and then I thought...
Ya, you are right... not too helpful. I think that article is just someone else's that BadCat linked to. I was actually reading about it on TGP. Looked around TGP for the first time this week to see what the fuss was about... hoped it would be more dramatic than reality TV. This Unleash thing was all that caught my attention.

Anyways, from what I understand, it is sort of like an Ultimate Attenuator, with loading that they seem very proud of. I don't think Badcat was even aware of the existance of the Ho. His smartest move was to also include an effects loop before releasing it because of peoples' suggestion on that forum. I guess another feature is the 2 foot-switchable master volumes on it too. I think a lot of people's purpose is to take a small 5-20 Watt amp and make it capable of up to 150 watts. I don't really see the use in that because I have the PA for that. I still see the value in good attenuation with a post amplifier effects loop like I remember trying to solve previously for my Liverpool in a different thread. I'd say it cuts down a lot of cabling after a mic'd speaker to a board with FX sends and returns. Don't have to hear the amp's dry signal through it's speaker with this unit.

So, seeing as the fx loop is most of the reason for considering a product like this for those of us with VVR or an airbrake already, I would think that building in a dumble-ator type circuit would make it more "ultimate".