5D3 build question

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RWood

5D3 build question

Post by RWood »

I'm building a 5D3 Deluxe which calls for 16/16/16 filter caps.
I saw Tinos Deluxe has 30/20/20.
I have a JJ 40/20/20/20 500v can on hand.
I also have a Classic Tone 40-18066 20w stand up PT to use in leu of 15w.

Is the 40/20/20 a bit too much filtering, or should I use the 20/20/20 sections?
Stevem

Re: 5D3 build question

Post by Stevem »

The 5y3 recto will handle the 40 uf filter just fine since the amp has no standby switch and sound better for it also, and the 20s on down are fine also!

Two changes I would make would be to not wire the filament string with one leg to ground as Fender built the amp, run two wires and make a artificial center tap with 2 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistors
The next change is something to try out. that 25 uf bypass cap[ on the output tubes Cathodes is too darn small to my ears so you might want to have on hand a 100 uf to 150 uf cap to try out in that spot and see if that floats your boat better like it does mine!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RWood

Post by RWood »

Thanks for the reply.
I was reading that the first node shouldn't have too much filtering and I would be more than doubling it, but I assume they were talking about 60-100uf range .
I have a center tapped pt so no need for artificial tap.
The 100uf bypass sounds like a good idea to try.
RWood

Post by RWood »

Probably gonna be a 6"x10" PTP Cager

6"x10" is a tight fit on top but with standup PT it has plenty of extra room inside.
It is an ugly rats nest inside because I threw it together in a few hours just to hear it before I decided between it and 5E3.
It sounds a little smoother than the first 5E3 I built on a board and is dead quiet.

Jury is in and 5D3 wins so I'll be gutting it to put back together with a couple more tag strip to tidy things up and select more uniform wire selection next week. Pushcloth and pvc in the same space...a pox on me... but I was out of cloth!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regan

Post by Regan »

Looks good!
I love the look of small chassis builds, looks more retro :)
I have a bunch of 6x10 chassis that I just finished prepping for some builds, can't wait to actually get to work on something!
Regan
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

That's a cute little bugger!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice amp love the PTP cage amps.
RWood

Post by RWood »

Cage was much flimsier than I expected so I gave it a little tougher house to live in. (12"wide x 7"deep x 9"high) With tubes in front I made the front removable to make changing tubes easier. The thing is so small that the Champ handle I robbed stretched almost side to side. I'm still up in the air about what to cover it with (black, brown, or blonde tolex) so for the time being it'll stay this way. I'm leaning toward blonde tolex but the 1x12 cab I already have is brown so I'd have to cover it too.
Opinions and pics on cover would be appreciated.
BTW the two strips on front are only temporary as the 5 1/2' board I used came up 1" short after squaring ends and I didn't have another piece wide enough.

Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RWood on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regan

Post by Regan »

That's really cute! I would oil it in a colour to look older and then good to go, nice and old school! If not, then my votes for the tolex is either all blonde, or brown cab and blonde front.
Regan
RWood

Post by RWood »

I never thought about brown with blonde front...Great Idea.
After reading that I found great looking pics of 50s Champion, Supro, and GA9 done that way. Creating an Art Deco front for the cab like Supros and GA9s in brown/blonde would be a good vibe for early 50s circuit.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Randy
Regan

Post by Regan »

Your welcome, I think it will look fantastic :)
Regan
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Just stopping to say nice build!

Of course you will want to tolex it but with bare wood it looks awesome :)

Post more pics soon!
RWood

Post by RWood »

Finally got around to finishing. I decided to try a couple of different looks on the cheap to choose. First I tried some lizard skin cloth I found at $2.50(60"x1yd). After adhering with 3M spray, I brushed it with 2 coats of acrylic poly. It dried quite hard and after a month it seems very durable with no obvious scratches. I made a small test piece with 4 coats and it seems to stand up to more abuse than I'll put it through....Crazy cheap at $2.50!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
Regan

Post by Regan »

That looks cute as heck!!! I might have to try something like that cloth, sure economical and looks great. I have seen it in the fabric store and wondered, lol!
Regan
AcornHouse

Post by AcornHouse »

First time seeing this thread; very nice!

Here's a little treat. Look what I found inside my '54 Deluxe 5d3...
[IMG:134:100]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/819/bqx1.jpg[/img]