Interesting analysis of 5E3

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Super_Reverb

Interesting analysis of 5E3

Post by Super_Reverb »

Here's a interesting senior project including analysis and suggested improvements for the Tweed Deluxe.

http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phy ... Deluxe.pdf
Reeltarded

Re: Interesting analysis of 5E3

Post by Reeltarded »

Hah! Reverb and black tolex!

;)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

A quick skim discloses the authors' limited experience with tube guitar amps. For example, "A major gripe of 5E3 owners is how often they need to replace the tubes in the amp. The materials in the tubes wear down after long-term usage. The lack of a standby switch after the power supply stage puts stress on the tubes. The filaments of each tube were not allowed to heat up before operating the circuit. (top of p. 8 )"

Text book recitation on the cathode stripping argument fails to acknowledge what Merlin has to say on the topic (which is that it is BS for guitar amps). While probably theoretically correct, in practical terms the supposition is meaningless. If I had to guess, the real problem, if it really exists (no documentation of "major gripe" and hearsay is not appropriate for an academic paper) is excessive plate voltage. This means the suggestion that a standby switch is needed is unsubstantiated.

The plate voltage issue moves the discussion to a rather subjective area, tone. Let's not cut the balls of the thing just to make it "right" and how does one do that, exactly?

These boys need to hang out at TAG and AX84 for a while and get properly schooled.

Nevertheless, there is some interesting stuff and for a couple of youngsters it is a worthy effort. More importantly, tubes are a topic no longer routinely covered in EE school, so we should be glad someone is at least looking. Just read it with a grain or two of salt!
rp

Post by rp »

I think CBS is hiring over at Fender.
Prairie Dawg

Post by Prairie Dawg »

Phil_S wrote:A quick skim discloses the authors' limited experience with tube guitar amps. For example, "A major gripe of 5E3 owners is how often they need to replace the tubes in the amp. The materials in the tubes wear down after long-term usage. The lack of a standby switch after the power supply stage puts stress on the tubes. The filaments of each tube were not allowed to heat up before operating the circuit. (top of p. 8 )"

Text book recitation on the cathode stripping argument fails to acknowledge what Merlin has to say on the topic (which is that it is BS for guitar amps). While probably theoretically correct, in practical terms the supposition is meaningless. If I had to guess, the real problem, if it really exists (no documentation of "major gripe" and hearsay is not appropriate for an academic paper) is excessive plate voltage. This means the suggestion that a standby switch is needed is unsubstantiated.

The plate voltage issue moves the discussion to a rather subjective area, tone. Let's not cut the balls of the thing just to make it "right" and how does one do that, exactly?

These boys need to hang out at TAG and AX84 for a while and get properly schooled.

Nevertheless, there is some interesting stuff and for a couple of youngsters it is a worthy effort. More importantly, tubes are a topic no longer routinely covered in EE school, so we should be glad someone is at least looking. Just read it with a grain or two of salt!
No rap against higher education, but where else can you get 23 pages complete with pictures and arrows out of an amp with 11 parts in it? :roll:
If you believe in coincidence you're not looking close enough-Joe leaphorn
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Super_Reverb wrote:Here's a interesting senior project including analysis and suggested improvements for the Tweed Deluxe.

http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phy ... Deluxe.pdf
I respectfully disagree that, that paper is interesting at all. :D
(besides the point that it is funny that tube amps are analysed in collages papers)

IME, Only relevant modification to a tweed dlx is reducing the V1 capacitors from 100n to 22n. However, if you revert the Volume pots like (in a brown face deluxe or) in any other guitar amp, you might want to keep the caps at 100n or maybe go down to 47n.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

This paper has made the rounds many times. Probably to the chagrin of the authors. They both have probably learned a lot in the past 9 years. I also don't agree with many of their conclusions, but I think they did some careful, in-depth work and tried to put into use some of the concepts they were taught. Wouldn't it be nice to have this kind of detailed analysis of many different amps that we all enjoy around here? I am sure others have done this, but haven't posted the data. Just cause it was done as part of a college course does not mean it has to have global impact. These kids are just learning what is important and what is not. In the end, they have to make conclusions or they get a poor grade.
We could not have done any of this without Professor Errede’s knowledge, expertise, and skills.
IMO, the prof is the problem, not the students. This paper is the result of a senior design project. The prof is supposed to guide them in their work, periodically check progress and focus, and suggest ideas based on experience. It appears the prof has no experience with tube amps and didn't guide them very well. Most of us here could have guided these students into a VERY interesting and useful paper.

BTW, I think the 5E3 Deluxe is a damn fine amplifier just as Fender built it. I also agree with bluesfendermanblues regarding the V1 cap mods. One of my favorite amps for sure.
AL

Post by AL »

rp wrote:I think CBS is hiring over at Fender.
:lol:

I just about spit coffee out my nose. Well played.

AL
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

"One of the big problems with the amp today is that the output signal would go into cutoff distortion fairly quickly when the volume was turned up."

This "problem" makes it one of the best sounding Fenders IMHO, especially when cranked. Also, anybody notice a shortage of 12AY7s? Maybe there was when this was written.
Masco

Post by Masco »

Total parts + labor = $4,466.50 :lol:
rp

Post by rp »

Masco wrote:Total parts + labor = $4,466.50 :lol:
It's boutique!