My take on an SSS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mhartman

My take on an SSS

Post by mhartman »

I just finished up my take on an SSS a couple of weeks ago and I've been tweaking her ever since. I'm just about there with this one. Big thanks to Taylor and Amplified Nation for giving my chassis a gorgeous home. Also, a big thank you to those of you who have been open with SSS info around here. I really took it on the chin on this forum with my last build because I wasn't at liberty to share detailed info due to some of my collaboration partners . I purposely kept myself from getting into that type of situation on this one so I could try to make some kind of contribution around here.

This is my 6x12AX7, 4x6L6 take on an SSS (with a more traditional build style). She has a 3-tube reverb, low plate classic tonestack, SSS02 Style filters (7 position each) and SSS02 style PI/Cathode Follower. I used Twin Reverb iron. I laid it out similar to the Ceriatone/TR SS/CC pictures that I've seen because I knew that that was a successful way of laying out a traditional (non-pcb) style build. She shakes the walls, stays extremely clean and has really great, deep bass.

I originally built the amp with a traditional PI and then converted over to the PI/Cathode Follower in order to compare the difference (and to make sure that she worked before moving on to something that I hadn't done before). It was really night and day -- with the post-PI cathode follower, she is fuller, louder, much cleaner and the bass is deeper and has more definition.

Disclaimer -- this amp was "cobbled" together with info that I found around here. I do this as a hobby (I build these for myself, I don't sell amps) and I'm not an engineer, so build at your own risk. Also, I'll probably tweak this for a month before I get it dialed in exactly how I want it. Also, if this is Nik's next offering, so be it. If everyone worries about C-Tone all the time, this forum might as well shut down.

Oh yeah, I haven't installed the FET yet either. And, I didn't bother with any switching -- I never end up using my amps' pedals for switching. Tweak the 130k resistor in the PI section to set the bias.

Enjoy!

LAYOUT UPDATED 05-26-2014
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mhartman on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.
mr_hankey

Re: My take on an SSS

Post by mr_hankey »

Thanks for sharing! I will almost certainly never build (...or buy) an SSS-type amp, but it sure is interesting to see how it works.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Congrats on a pretty build. Your amp looks awesome! I'd love to hear it or your impressions on it's tone when you get it dialed.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Very pretty.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Thanks guys. I'll post some gutshots when I get a chance. The ones that I have now aren't up to date (I've done a ton of tweaking on this thing).

@Jelle -- thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I've admired your craftsmanship for a long time!
jelle

Post by jelle »

:D You are welcome!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

If that isn't slick, I don't know what is.

Excellent job!

TM
RockNRollDr

Post by RockNRollDr »

That looks great! Where did you get the font for the faceplate?
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Thanks guys.
RockNRollDr wrote:Where did you get the font for the faceplate?
I found the fonts on one of the free font sites on the internet. I think they are Cooper Black for the SSS part and Auto Mission for the control portions.

Here's a quick cell phone vid through a 1x12 EVM12L. Please excuse my playing and the sound quality -- it was a quick iphone take and it is probably some of the worst playing on all of youtube! I'm posting to give a general impression of the sound (however, it seems that mostly just the bass came through in the vid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rao2PerLDhg

Also, here's an mp3 of it played fairly quiet through a mic. High filter in position 2 and low in position 4 for this one I think.

Here's a pic of the innerds. There are still some parts leftover from various incarnations of the PI section.[/url]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mhartman on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Looks great Mike. Thanks for sharing your layout! I know you worked hard on that one. The cab looks awesome mounted up!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
trane34

Post by trane34 »

Looks great. Sounds like a smooth juicy twin. How do you like the filters and reverb?
dimitris

Post by dimitris »

It sounds great,thanks for sharing.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Wow!:D

Very cool! And a layout to boot!

Good job on a great looking and sounding amp! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
RB

Post by RB »

Thanks so much for sharing.

I am pleased to see that you didn't let your last experience here run you off.

Your work is of a very high level and is a pleasure to see.

The short period of time your JM build was up sparked interest in that amp for me and I built one using the one gut shot I was able to download as a guide.

I would like to know what the chassis dimensions are for this SSS derived beast.

Regards
Randy
katopan

Post by katopan »

That sounds awesome. Great work.