Need Transformers for a D'lite

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

memphisrain

Need Transformers for a D'lite

Post by memphisrain »

I bought one of Moss' original D'lite 22 chassis when he first released them years ago. I kind of fell out of love with guitar playing for a while, and had my amp all assembled except for the transformers, which I never really got around to buying.

Well, I'm back to playing again, and I'd like to finish the amp up, but I still need to purchase some transformers. However, Brown Note seems to have made a less than stellar name for themselves since I bought from them last, and I'm a little nervous about ordering anything from them.

So I'm on the hunt... any suggestions?

Thanks!
If it has wheels, tubes, or breasts.......

........You're going to have problems with it
ToneMerc

Re: Need Transformers for a D'lite

Post by ToneMerc »

If all you are only going to run is 6V6's, you can get by with the Fender Vibrolux replacement PT and then use a dual 6V6 OT of your choice. If you are going to toggle between 6V6's and the bigger bottle 6L6 or EL34, I would be using a BN equivalent.
I believe thread buried here somewhere are the Heyboer part numbers, the same goes for BN site. I would attempt to just order the transformers directly from Heyboer and absolutely not attempt to order them from BN. I have the BN Heyboer parts numbers somewhere and would have to dig them up.

TM
memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

I'm only interesed in really running the 6v6s, since I don't need the higher wattage.

I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with some part numbers. If you end up finding anything, I'd appreciate that though.

Thanks.

memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

According to the Brown Note site, he's using Heyboer transformers, but no part number.

Heres the info on the site:

Transformer set for the D'LITE 22/33. New for 2008.

Power Transformers Specs: 100v, 120v, 200v, 220v, 230v/240v Primary

325 V secondary taps @300 mA, center tapped (325v-0-50v-325v)

6.3V center tapped @ 7A (3.15v-0-3.15v)

5V & 6.3V @ 3 A (5v-6.3v-0)

50V bias tap

center-tapped heater winding and hum shield.

2-1/2" x 3-1/8" mounting centers.

----------------------------------------------------------

Output Transformer Specs:

This output transformer features dual primary winding at 4K & 8K for use with 6V6 @ 22w or 6L6 @ 33w.

Custom wound in the USA by Heyboer the same way they're been doing it for 50 years.

Paper tube with paper layered interleaved windings with 4K & 8K ohm primary taps and 4 - 8 - 16 ohm secondary taps for single or multiple speaker set ups.

12" Unistrand pretinned leads.

3-9/16" mounting centers.

I'll look into the MM's you posted, thanks. Any tonal differences, you suppose?

memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

On second thought, the ability to go to EL34s or 6L6s might be nice...

wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

It's been a while since I've had to do anything with a D-Lite - but if it were me the issue is making sure the transformer fits in the chassis cutout so you don't have to fabricate an adapter. If i recall, the D-Lite used a Bassman transformer with a couple of special taps for the 5V relay supply. You can use a separate Radio Shack 12V transformer for the relays, so any standard Bassman supply would work and voltages would be good for 6L6, but on the high side for 6V6 so put a 50W 50V Zener in the secondary center tap to drop the plates down close to 400V and you are all set. Not absolutely necessary with most modern 6V6 but guys I tested with found the amp response better with the lower plate voltage.

Bill

www.sebagosound.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

wjdunham wrote:It's been a while since I've had to do anything with a D-Lite - but if it were me the issue is making sure the transformer fits in the chassis cutout so you don't have to fabricate an adapter. If i recall, the D-Lite used a Bassman transformer with a couple of special taps for the 5V relay supply. You can use a separate Radio Shack 12V transformer for the relays, so any standard Bassman supply would work and voltages would be good for 6L6, but on the high side for 6V6 so put a 50W 50V Zener in the secondary center tap to drop the plates down close to 400V and you are all set. Not absolutely necessary with most modern 6V6 but guys I tested with found the amp response better with the lower plate voltage.

Bill

www.sebagosound.com
Dlite chassis used the Vibrolux cut out not the Bassman. The Blue Monkey chassis used Twin mounting centers with an undersized cutout.

TM
memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

So I contacted Heyboer directly, and they told me they'd wind me a set from the information they had on file.

Thanks for the help, gents!

ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

memphisrain wrote:According to the Brown Note site, he's using Heyboer transformers, but no part number.

Heres the info on the site:

Transformer set for the D'LITE 22/33. New for 2008.

Power Transformers Specs: 100v, 120v, 200v, 220v, 230v/240v Primary

325 V secondary taps @300 mA, center tapped (325v-0-50v-325v)

6.3V center tapped @ 7A (3.15v-0-3.15v)

5V & 6.3V @ 3 A (5v-6.3v-0)

50V bias tap

center-tapped heater winding and hum shield.

2-1/2" x 3-1/8" mounting centers.

----------------------------------------------------------

Output Transformer Specs:

This output transformer features dual primary winding at 4K & 8K for use with 6V6 @ 22w or 6L6 @ 33w.

Custom wound in the USA by Heyboer the same way they're been doing it for 50 years.

Paper tube with paper layered interleaved windings with 4K & 8K ohm primary taps and 4 - 8 - 16 ohm secondary taps for single or multiple speaker set ups.

12" Unistrand pretinned leads.

3-9/16" mounting centers.

I'll look into the MM's you posted, thanks. Any tonal differences, you suppose?
I posted the Magnetic Components Inc trannies because folks like the quality verses the price point. The several that I have built in that chassis I used custom iron from Heyboer, similar to what Moss used in the 44 series. I have one of my own spec'd Heyboer PT's kind of similar to what Moss used that drops right in that chassis. It will support the bigger tubes, I'm not looking to sell it, but you could have Heyboer clone it.

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

memphisrain wrote:So I contacted Heyboer directly, and they told me they'd wind me a set from the information they had on file.

Thanks for the help, gents!
Have them change the 5V/3A winding to a 6.3V @ 500mA instead.

TM
memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

Whats this do, exactly, out of curiosity?

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Dlite is diode rectified no rectifier tube so have the extra 6.3v tap instead of 5v to power the relays.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

memphisrain wrote:Whats this do, exactly, out of curiosity?
That PT was not well thought out for a straight ahead D build, It works great a circuit that has the option of a 5V and 6.3V tube rectifier. Since this amp has no rectifier, why do you need a 5V/3A tap to run relays? That 5v tap when implemented as BN depicts can struggle when using high current relays, 3 relays and LEDS on the foot switch and if there are indicator LEDS on the relays. If you surf the BN site the are several threads about relay switching problems, a 6.3V tap cures this.

Do you really need the export primary taps? I would ask the price before I would commit to cloning the BN PT, you might be able to save yourself some coin.

Here's what I would do if I was going to run 6L6's

335-0-50-335@ 300mA
6.3V@ 500mA
6.3V@5A (use 100R CT)

Also I have been having PT's wound at 123 or 125V primary, it's easier on your filaments, gets you out of that 7.0V range if your mains voltages tend to be higher.

TM
memphisrain

Post by memphisrain »

Ok, that makes sense.

I'm talking with them, and they're going to make me one with only the 120v
primary. $25 savings.

They also said they can do the 6.3V instead of the 5V.