Test Equipment Survey

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bradicusmaximus

Test Equipment Survey

Post by bradicusmaximus »

This may be off topic in this section - if so, feel free to move it.

I'm looking at getting a new DMM and was looking at the Fluke 117. You can't go wrong with a Fluke, but for working on amps, the 600v rating is a little close for comfort. So I was thinking, that I'd love to get some input on what you guys are using. Forgive me if this has been rehashed before elsewhere - I did a quick search and didn't come across anything right off the bat.

So what DMM are you guys using on a regular basis?

What are you finding as a decent and reliable tube tester? Is there anything that's newer production that doesn't have to be found by luck on eBay or CL?

Thanks!
xtian

Re: Test Equipment Survey

Post by xtian »

I went with Meterman 38XR. Nice, not too expensive. Up to 1000V with Cat III leads.

http://www.tequipment.net/Amprobe38XR-A.html
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
David Root

Post by David Root »

I use a Fluke 187.

I have blown a fuse or two on it, my fault, used wrong rated amp setting. No trouble with it, plus it has a fairly accurate capacitance measurement setting too, which is handy.

If it could measure inductance as well it would be perfect, but it doesn't, I had to spring for an LCR meter.

Tube testers, I have two, both modern digital. Neither will do rectifier tubes, but they seem to either work or they don't.

Vacuum Tube Valley (VTV) Dual Triode Characterizer, now unobtainium new, and a MaxiMatcher for power tubes. No trouble with either.

The VTV indicates triode matching within a dual triode within 0.5VDC, which is as good as anyone needs, microphony and relative gain.

The MaxiMatcher measures plate current and transconductance at 400V or 325V, and can do up to 4 tubes at once. It can do EL84 too but you have to buy a plug in socket converter.

I'm happy with both.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

A Fluke 179 is my main meter. This tool will be used more than any other, so buy a quality product.

IMO the best tube tester available at a reasonable cost is the uTracer, built from a kit. It is infinitely flexible, and its anode and screen capability is now 400V @200mA, exceeding the MaxiMatcher's 400V @120mA. It's a project in itself, but a very capable instrument. See my blog-like post on it in the tech section.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I've got a metal handled screwdriver and a latex glove that's all I need :shock:
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

cbass wrote:I've got a metal handled screwdriver and a latex glove that's all I need :shock:
er...

what kind of test you talkin' 'bout there cbass?

Bob
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
cbass

Post by cbass »

Oh were talking bout amps :oops: . I'd like to have q lot more test equipment but I've manages to repair a couple dozen or so amps with a dummyload and a craftsman multimeter .lightbulb limiter too. I use an amp I built as a tube tester more :oops:
I'd really like to pick up a scope sometime.
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Get the best multi meter you can afford. That said, if funds are limited, you can troll eBait for an older model benchtop Fluke. These can be had for a bargain price. Also, be on the lookout for a Fluke 8025B (good for 1000VDC). I'm talking about very high quality meters for ~ $50 including shipping. Here's one but it comes without leads ;-{ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8025B-Mul ... 418d8d23e3 You can buy good leads for $10, also eBay.
Or one of these will do 750VDC:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8010A-Dig ... 3cefc40638
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8010A-Dig ... 3a9ee61dc4
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I'm going to be the elephant the room and say that you don't need an expensive DMM for amp tech work. The Fluke gear is great, but I use a Tenma 7735 that I got off of eBay maybe 4 years ago, it was sealed, BNIB and shipped for $32. I say scour the internet as there tons of functioning older test gear.

For the cost of a Fluke 177 I have aquired the test gear below, shipping included.

Tenma 7735 DMM( no problem checking +750VDC in MusicMan supply builds)
BK 810B cap meter w/leads
BK 177 VTVM w/probe
BK 520B transitor testor w/leads
Leader 514A O'scope w/probes
Heathkit 1G-1271 function generator

TM
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

matt h wrote:+1 on ToneMerc's suggestion, especially on a VTVM--so freaking usefor when no DMM is gonna cut it.
VTVM: measurements on the grids, cap leakage and tremolo oscillator functions are great examples

Any DMM yep: I helped a local professional EE a few years ago that wanted someone to shadow him with his first kit amp build. He constantly ranted about using expensive test gear. I keep a cheap SHTF $6 Harbor Freight DMM in my vehicles tool pouch. So, to prove a point I used one of those cheap POS's for all the AC,DC and continuity checks.

TM
romberg

Post by romberg »

ToneMerc wrote:I'm going to be the elephant the room and say that you don't need an expensive DMM for amp tech work.
Yea. Back when I was around 20 I bought a BK Precision 388-HD. It does 1000/750V DC/AC. It also measures capacitance (I check every signal cap) and frequency.

Back in the day it was cheaper than a fluke. I figured I'd upgrade to a fluke when it died. I'm now pushing 50 and it is a fair bet that I will die before it does. If I had to buy another meter right now, I'd look at BK's current model (388B) and use the remaining savings to buy a really nice soldiering station. :)

Mike
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

The one word on the higher end Flukes is durability and convenience. I have used a Fluke 85 (the middle brother to the 87) for nearly 20 years, the auto ranging and simplicity of the meter is superb. I know for a fact that it is resistant to an input of 425 v dc while being set to "ohms" and other stupid accidents.... :roll:

I do have a pair of scopes, old Hp signal generator, VTVM etc that I use frequently as well.

I'm from the camp that buy the best product that you can afford for the use and IF you take care of it you will be rewarded by a lifetime of quality use. I put my Fluke DMM and Metcal soldering and rework station into this category, there is a difference.
bradicusmaximus

Post by bradicusmaximus »

Thanks everyone for the input. I've been using a cheap-ish DMM (I forget the brand) and it's worked fine for what I've asked it to do. There are some aspects of it that I really don't like, but they are more gripes rather than any significant problems. I was looking to get a second meter - one to have a spare in the event stupidity comes for a visit and two, to have a second reference to go by. I figured that since I'm in the mood, I'd look into trading up into a "real" DMM.

Ultimately, it's a meter so as long as it reads out a semi-accurate reading and doesn't turn into a smoldering blob of plastic on my bench when I take a reading from some off-brand monster someone wants me to look at, that's probably for the best.

As far as a wish list, I'd love for a meter that would send its reading out a USB port that could then be logged in a computer for time analysis (and cost less than vintage blackface fender). But, that's just me liking to play with numbers.

Xtian - thanks for the recommendation of the Meterman. I hadn't really looked into them, but they look nice.

Martin Manning - thanks for the recommendation on the uTracer. I will definitely check that out.

cbass - I've generally been using an amp to test my tubes as well, but there are some things that would be easier with an actual tester.

I tend to get mass quantities of old tubes from various guys that do vintage "scrapping". When I get 20 - 40 12A*7s at a time, it would be awesome to have a tester to just do a quick weed-out of the dead ones from the live ones. I tend to get some power tubes too, but I'm awash in preamp tubes.

Thanks again everyone. I love having a nice knowledgeable group to turn to on these types of questions! I especially love getting useful and helpful responses as opposed to many places on the net that are less than helpful or polite.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

I'm partial to Fluke because I worked there for 2 years when I first got out of college.

I've had my trusty Fluke 77/AN since 1984, and it's never had a problem. The 77/AN was made by the zillions for the military, and sometimes you can get a boxload of them at DRMO for 20 bucks or less.

They also made a bunch of baby blue 77's with IBM logos, but these are hard to find (a friend at Fluke told me they had to make 2 batches, because the first batch went home to the techs workshops, so they needed to get another one for work).

Kiethley was started by some Fluke engineers, and made very similar DMMs to Fluke at a lower price.

BK Precision is another high quality brand. Tenma came in the '90s with incredibly low prices at the time, and they seem to be reliable.

Since my Fluke doesn't do capacitance, I've also bought a handful of $10 meters from places like Harbor Freight (and Sears when they had a good sale). They work good enough for amp building, as long as you don't try to measure line voltage with the DMM set on Ohms :shock: