Labeling suggestions?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Labeling suggestions?

Post by LeftyStrat »

I'm building a run of tube recording preamps using polished die cast aluminum cases. After polishing I intend to use a transparent powder coat finish on the top, and the stuff used for pickup truck bed liners on the bottom plate.

But right now I'm stumped about how to do labels. Eventually I plan on getting a CNC mini mill and engraving the lettering, but until I sell this first run, I won't have the cash to spring for it.

Any suggestions for labeling in conjunction with powder coating? I suppose I could screen print, would this best be done before or after the powder coat?

Also, I've attached pics of the raw materials. I scored these cool tube shields off of eBay from a seller in Hong Kong, but he seems to have dropped off of eBay. He told me they were available in both 9 pin and octal sizes, but I only have the 9 pin ones, and my next run will have a complete power amp based on a PP 12sn7, so I need to find a source for these.

The preamp design is pretty cool, my code name for it is "FrankenWreck FenDumbAlembic." Anyone want to venture a guess at the circuit? Uses two 12AX7's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mooreamps

Venture a guess ??

Post by mooreamps »

No, not really. Not unless it's a clone of one of my pre-amps, in which case it would be short a gain stage.
-g
LeftyStrat

Re: Labeling suggestions?

Post by LeftyStrat »

Actually, it is one half of the Alembic F2-B preamp, which is nothing more than a clone of a Dual Showman preamp. I have a switch that changes the bypass caps between the original showman values and the values Alembic used for bass. I added a second 12ax7, the third stage is switchable in and out of the circuit. It is the clipping stage from a Trainwreck (100k plate, 10k cathode, no bypass cap). The last stage is the send from the Dumblelator (cathode follower) for better compatibility with longer sends and other outboard effects.

Works great directly into the computer with a speaker sim, I've even used it to warm up vocals. All in a 4x8" enclosure.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

You can make your front panel layout using any vector style drawing program, like Visio or Corel, and take it to Kinko's for a transparent vinyl decal the same size as the front panel. If you're careful and don't get any bubbles they come out pretty nice on polished brass or aluminum.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Thanks, I hadn't thought of decals. That's probably my best approach for now.