Good interview of Ken Fischer on Trainwreck Amps

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Decko

Good interview of Ken Fischer on Trainwreck Amps

Post by Decko »

Hi All,

I bought this book "The Guitar Amp Handbook, Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds" by Dave Hunter. The author was the editor of Guitar Magazine in the UK. The book is written for guitarist who want a better understanding of tube amplification. That said there is an interview of Ken Fischer (9 pages 8"X11" small print) some tidbits about his life from childhood through the Ampeg years and some thoughts on his use of componentry in his amps.

For example, Ken's obession with detail went down to the selection of wire. On Trainwreck amps the wire selection was solid core with PVC insulation. This wire get a certain speed or "slew rate". Ken speaks some on resistors and his "famed" transformers" as well as his philosophy about amp design. The interview also goes into detail about his involvement with Komet amps and how he voiced those amps. Anyway I've read the article about 50 times and in my opinion it gives a good feel about the "Guru". Some good stuff on Dr. Z too.

Danny
lilkeysdad

Re: Good interview of Ken Fischer on Trainwreck Amps

Post by lilkeysdad »

Excellent book and the "Two-Stroke" amp design in there is a great little amp as well. My first build.