Best Kit...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Monkey Boy

Best Kit...

Post by Monkey Boy »

Any thoughts on the best kit for a first time build?
Phil_S

Re: Best Kit...

Post by Phil_S »

Gilmore Jr. www.guytronix.com because you get a really nice amp, excellent written instructions, and someone to call on the phone if you really get stuck.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Also worth considering is a Mission Amps 5E3
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Sorry to disagree, Steve. For a first time build, consider the 5E3 is a 5-tube amp vs. the Gilmore Jr is a 2-tube amp. Simpler will give you more confidence and prepare you to move up.

Anyway, you will still struggle with lead dress, filament wiring, and doing the input jack(s). The only way to learn these things is by doing. Plan on wasting some wire and solder.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Phil,

No need to be sorry. The internet was invented for disagreements :D

Anyway, many people build a 5E3 as their first build (including me). It is a more complex build than a 2 tube amp like a Champ (OK, I know a Champ actually has 3 tubes), but the end result is more satisfying too. And there are more opportunities to learn.

But having said that, I am sure that it would be a safer first experience to build a simpler amp. (I've never been one to play it safe).

Steve
Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy »

Anybody familiar with any of these?
http://www.stf-electronics.com/

What about a weber smokin joe?
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

All I know about STF is that he has been around for a while. I reember when I did my first kit, STF was already on the scene. A Super Champ is not much different from a 5E3 (from a complexity standpoint). The regular Champ is simpler.

I'd stay away from Weber kits. No instructions, no support, and I have heard of a few people that had some issues with fit and finish. Not bad for the price I would imagine, but probably not the best choice for a first build.
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Not sure about STF.
I ordered a Hammond 270EX PT and eventually was informed it would be a 5 week backorder. I got the strange feeling that this is a garage operation, and he orders from suppliers whenever he gets an order. But at least he responded to my inquiries and was polite about it. And credited my card when I said I'd get another PT.
The kits are preloaded, and support is good.

Weber...the thing I'll say about them is they have never failed to fill any of my orders. Can't say about the kits. Their pots are so-so. And I've used a bunch of their transformers with no complaints. (Just make sure to tighten the nuts on the PT's...a strange rattle will ensue if you don't...and they aren't tightened down as they should be). Shipping has been prompt and inexpensive. I'm also a fan of the speakers.

Ceriatone is good for kits.
Hoffman is great for parts.
joebob

Post by joebob »

Instructions...I don't need no stinkin instructions
kineteks

Post by kineteks »

My first kit was a Ceriatone Liverpool with a moderate number of parts substitutions, it came out very well but I did a lot of research, went slowly, triple checked my work and could not have done it without The Amp Garage, the support here is incredible.

My second build was a Gilmore Jr., much simpler but still very satisfying, and much cheaper if you're going to play around with NOS tubes I might add. It's a great sounding little amp and a very good bedroom/apartment practice amp that actually has some balls when you're allowed to crank it up. Get the 2 watt adapter, it'll give a little more clean headroom.

I'm now gathering the parts to build an Express & another Liverpool but this time from parts and as close to the real thing as I can make them. I'm hooked....
I think if you're careful, relatively neat and willing to redo anything that doesn't come out quite right you could start with any number of kits. You'll be playing a Gilmore Jr. quicker than a Trainwreck.... but I have to admit I got more satisfaction from the Liverpool.
labb

Post by labb »

For a first time build the P1 from Doberman over on AX84 would be hard to beat. That along with the theory document that goes along with it. JMO
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

For a first time build the P1 from Doberman over on AX84 would be hard to beat.
+1 for the P1. My first was a p1eX which is marginally more complex than the P1.

[IMG::]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5160/p1exmp5.th.jpg[/img]

[IMG::]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3535/p1ex4za5.th.jpg[/img]
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

I used a Weber 5E3 kit for a build--the Two Nob Trainwreck rather than the straight 5E3. The cab was really nice, and the chassis and iron were fine. I didn't like the tube sockets, pots and resistors, but so I used others. Weber makes nice speakers, too.

If I was gonna use another Weber kit, I'd order it without sockets, pots, resistors and caps---make my own choices.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
jimipage

Post by jimipage »

[quote="Monkey Boy"]Anybody familiar with any of these?
http://www.stf-electronics.com/
quote]

the STF super charged champ was my first build. Got me hooked! Pat Bunn is a very helpful dude. His kit instructions are very thorough, too. Good deal all the way around.