Heyboer Transformers

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

snide

Heyboer Transformers

Post by snide »

Where can you get the Heyboer wreck transformer set nowadays? I talked to Doug Holt at Jenkin's sound shop and he told me he doesn't handle the transformers anymore. :cry:

Eric
JimmyBlood

Re: Heyboer Transformers

Post by JimmyBlood »

Eric, can't you order direct from Heyboer? I did that with a set of Plexi transformers. The only drawback was the wait time since it was a one-off. If you want to get some people together for a group order with the discount, count me in for a set.

J.
snide

trans

Post by snide »

Hey Jimmy,

Yeah, I talked to someone at Heyboer a while back and they said if I couldn't find any to come on back. Like you suggested, I guess we need to do a group order and see if we can get the qty 10 set discount. Something else that that I don't understand about the OT is, most people say the impedance of the primary is 6k6 however, in a email exchange with heyboer they indicate it is 5k :shock: (see email quote below)

Eric, Hello..yes these are the correct ones. Did you try Jenkins Sound shop/ Doug Holt.
He is the dist for these but i dont know how he is sitting for stock. He has not ordered for a while and i know he was selling. if no luck, come on back. to do one pc of each will be more as we can hardly do one of`s this cheap anymore. thanks, Phil
----- Original Message -----
To: htovvp@novagate.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 11:06 PM
Subject: Transformers

Phil,
My name is Eric Carlson and I am looking for a set of transformers for a Trainwreck Express clone that I am collecting parts for.
Do you have the units below and what are the current prices?

HTS-5200 = 11415 TWOT.
rated 35 watt 5K ohm on pri CT
4-8-16 ohm sec
stand up vert mounting cover w/ exit hole out bottom for leads.
1 pc $48.50
10 pcs $43.80
25pcs $41.20

HTS-5199 11410 TWPT
120pri
sec 300-260-0-260-300 @.300mA
6.3v CT good to 6A
5v CT good to 4A
1pc 57.00
10 pcs 51.85
25pcs 48.90

If not these, what would you recommend?

Thanks, Eric
Chris G

Heyboer transformers

Post by Chris G »

Hi Eric,
I am pretty sure you can order directly from Heyboer,That's how I got mine.you can use either primary's,I've tried both (6.6k-5.2k)I prefer the way the amp distorts with the 5.2k,someone else may like the 6.6k it's up to you.why not try both,make sure to tweek the 3rd stage resistor/cap with each and find the version you like the best.For my express clone it's a 68k/.001ceramic and .001poly in paralle in the 3rd stage w/5.2k tranny the liverpool is a 56k/.00047 poly 3rd stage w/6.6k tranny. :D
snide

trans

Post by snide »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the excellent info. I need to take some time to experiment with the third stage.

Eric
Moose

Post by Moose »

Chris,

Which tranny did you get? DO you have a model number?

I recall getting trannies from Heyboer a long time ago, but there was just a 5K primary. No 6.6K. In fact, I'm not sure of it as my 'wreck is sort if disheveled at the moment and I just peeked. Only 1 set of primaries.

Everone,

If folks here are interested in tranny sets, I would be willing to order from Heyboer and sell for a small premium to cover shipping and paypal fees. That is assuming they'll let me order lots of 10 at a discount when Jenkins is supposed to be the distributor. I wrote a couple of emails a while back to Jenkins asking for tranny sets and got no response either, but Doug's a good guy and I'd not want to step on his toes.

So, if people are interested, post here or shoot me a message to -- chris at toneslut dot com -- as I don't want to drop a grand and be sitting on 9 sets of transformers. :)
oggidog

Post by oggidog »

Put me down for a set. Do these handle 6V6, EL34, both?
snide

trans

Post by snide »

I'll need 1 set also.

Eric
neilium

Post by neilium »

Aye! I'll take a set.

-neil
JimmyBlood

Post by JimmyBlood »

Sorry to repeat, but I'll take a set.

J.
Moose

Post by Moose »

OK, I'll look into it. Hopefully we can keep getting trannies for the $100/set price range this way.

As for what they will handle, the set I got from Heyboer (exactly the set we discussed) will handle an awful lot. The power tranny has two HV taps, so you can switch from low-mid 300s to around 400V. With 6V6 I find a little more harmonic content at lower voltage but at 400V with a couple of gain tweaks I get a really cool deluxe reverb on steroids vibe.

EL34s with 5K primary at just under 400V -- well, mine has a sound that lends itself very well to tones running from ZZ to early Van Halen. It does Just Got Paid exactly the way I hear it in my head.

I am still wondering about the 6K6 taps someone was talking about. Should I be asking Heyboer about these, and should I consider stocking a dual primary tranny? Heyboer's done this for me for personal trannies, but it usually comes at a few dollars upcharge. I imagine these taps are for the liverpool output, right? Anybody have any info here?
Chris G

Heyboer tranny's

Post by Chris G »

Hi Moose,
I have gotten 6" trainwreck type" transformers from them,2 powers 4outputs.The powers are the dual secondarys 5199 part#.I got 2) 5200 output's with m6 lam material 4/8/16 taps.I also got 2)6600 part # wound with m27 lams 4/8/16 taps........I'm tying to upload some pics of the different trannies to our site but haveing trouble at the moment doing it!!!!!! The part #'s are simpley what the output trannies primary impedences are.
Hopr this makes sence to you.
Chris :D
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Hi Moose, check the( test pics thread)
Chris
RossH

Post by RossH »

Moose,

I may have been one of the last orders to go through Doug. This was a while back now. He mentioned settling in on a 6.6k pri-Z for the trainwreck OT. His cloning project seemed to end there when I was discussing this with him. I don't know how he got there but it sounded like it came from a real one. Then again, maybe they are both 5k and 6.6k depending on the girl. The model transformers I ended with have the following labels on them.

PT
HTS-5199

and..

OT
11415 TW-OT-J

HTH,
Ross
Moose

Post by Moose »

OK, this adds a bit of a wrinkle into the whole thing. I was of the understanding that 5200 was the standard, but I don't doubt at all that 6600 is also around as Ken used more than one tranny and was known to tune each amp per customer spec.

If everyone had a vote, what would they choose?

1. 5200

2. 6600

3. Dual primary (obviously not exactly a clone, but if heyboer could add the tap for a few dollars)

I'm hoping to get this rolling and not have to be out $5K to stock up on several different varieties. :)

Also, how long ago was the last Doug Holt tranny sold? I REALLY don't want to step on his feet.