a couple of easy mods

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rhinson

a couple of easy mods

Post by rhinson »

hello there, just thought i'd share a few things i've done to my clones that add a bit of versatility. nothing very original or earthshattering that probably most of you haven't already done or tried, but i thought i'd bring 'em up anyway. first make the grid resistor to the 3rd stage variable----i use a 100kb pot with a 56k resistor to ground and call it "intensity" on my control panel. this lets you go from a less loud tighter sound to a more loud, driving full sound--very useful. another thing is to change the bright switch from the standard 100pf range for sparkle to somewhere in the .0022mf to .0047mf range. turn up your amp about 1/2 - 2/3 and this adds just an incredible amount midrange drive and harmonics (this value is in the range of some of the vol. control treb. bypass caps on some old marshall plexi amps--bright ch. of course). another easy thing is to make the neg. fb. resistor variable---instead of a 100k resistor use a 47k resistor and a 50k pot to give a little more control over the drive and feel of the power section. if you just want to experiment, just change the tap from which you take your neg. fb. signal (keeping the resistor value the same). as you move from 4 to 8 to 16 more voltage develops (more neg.fb.) and the amp sounds less loud and slightly tighter/less full. anyway most of you guys probably already know all these simple things but i just thought i'd post 'em anyway for those interested experimenters out there that might find them useful. thanks to all. rh
MSS

keep 'em coming...

Post by MSS »

RH;

Thanks for accumulating a number of really useful mods, in a convenient checklist format. I do remember seeing a number of these in the archives back when I didn't need them, but this sure saves time locating them again!

Now, where are we gonna fit all those extra switches and pots...?

MSS
sgrass

Another Checklist?

Post by sgrass »

I guess I am the list maker here, but I think that a list of all mods, with brief descriptions, would be cool. Surely there are 20, 50, or 100 variations of the amp made by people here. Maybe a listing would help keep 'em all straight???
MSS

And on that list...

Post by MSS »

It would also be cool to list rectification type, voltages, speaker and a personal comment on the sound.

MSS