Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guitar James

Steel String Singer

Post by Guitar James »

First post here.
Excellant forum, with very knowledgable people. I am looking forward to getting involved here.

Anway......

Has anyone on this forum built a SSS clone? I am interested in building an ultimate clean amp and the SSS seems like the way to go.
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

For a clean Dumble, yes, it's the way to go. But it's hard to clone an SSS when they're all a little different. That, and there are still gaps as to what some of the circuitry is...at least in what folks have been willing to share. Relatively speaking, there were a lot of ODS amps built as compared to SSS amps...so they're sort of the "Holy Grail" for some of the dumble-heads (no offense intended) around here. I'm in the process of building a 50-watt version myself. :wink:

I think one or two other folks around here are giving it their best shot as well. Stick around...things may get interesting before too long.
Structo

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by Structo »

Since there isn't much info on the SSS, you might be better off building a 100 watt Twin which is known for it's clean tone.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
rob310

Post by rob310 »

you might want to look into the two rock custom clean, it's suppose to sound like a SSS
jelle

Post by jelle »

I'd love to look into a Custom Clean!
If somebody has gutshots, I'd love to see them. :D
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

jelle wrote:I'd love to look into a Custom Clean!
I think he meant play one.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Without divulging all the hairy details of what makes an SSS an SSS, you can get a pretty close proximity using a low-plate skyline EQ into a Fender style reverb you'll be on track.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
jelle

Post by jelle »

'67_Plexi wrote:
I think he meant play one.
:lol:
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

Nope, he definetly meant take it home on "approval" with a credit card, open it up and take detailed gut shots, post them here, return it because you dont love it, and build somthing "similar"with all our help.
:twisted:
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Hey man!! Me and use SAME cab guy!! Iv`ve known Ken for 5 years, he lives 1.0 hour away! Oh btw, my first big customer owned an 80`s dumble, i just delivered a 100 watt HRM EL-34 combo w/loop, his exact quote..This FAR exceeds it!! He used a les paul, tc in loop..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Without divulging all the hairy details of what makes an SSS an SSS, you can get a pretty close proximity using a low-plate skyline EQ into a Fender style reverb you'll be on track.
Wow...you don't say. Anybody know about what year the Skyliner EQ started showing up?
Guitar James

Post by Guitar James »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Without divulging all the hairy details of what makes an SSS an SSS, you can get a pretty close proximity using a low-plate skyline EQ into a Fender style reverb you'll be on track.
Great info thanks for the help.
rob310

Post by rob310 »

i wish i had some shots of the custom clean. or even to play on one would be nice. im also new at all this, i have an old fender pro reverb. how would i make it like a skyline EQ ?
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

Just curious (since I've never played one or heard one in person that I know of): The steel players seem to like the 135W UL Twin Reverbs and...from the name alone...I assume the SSS was designed for steel players. Does the 135W UL Twin Reverb (perhaps with tweeks?) acheive a similar tone? I know the 135W UL TRs get poo-poo'd a lot but I assume the steel players know what they like.

I've also read that if you just remove the NFB from the 135W UL TRs that they sound much better but I assume that's for 'regular' guitar. Allegedly the 'UL' provides enough NFB and UL+NFB=overkill.
stratcat62

Post by stratcat62 »

Fischerman wrote:Just curious (since I've never played one or heard one in person that I know of): The steel players seem to like the 135W UL Twin Reverbs and...from the name alone...I assume the SSS was designed for steel players. Does the 135W UL Twin Reverb (perhaps with tweeks?) acheive a similar tone? I know the 135W UL TRs get poo-poo'd a lot but I assume the steel players know what they like.

I've also read that if you just remove the NFB from the 135W UL TRs that they sound much better but I assume that's for 'regular' guitar. Allegedly the 'UL' provides enough NFB and UL+NFB=overkill.
I was thinking the same thing. As far as Stevie Ray's SSS was concerned it was clean all the way up, like those UL Twins.