D'Lite Versions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

titanicslim

D'Lite Versions

Post by titanicslim »

Hi, Gang!

Hey, I've been trying to get myself up-to-date and I've run into some confusion that maybe someone can help me out with.

Concerns the variations in the Dumble'Lite layouts I'm seeing.

http://bad-domain/DumbleLite/DumbleLite16x8Layout.JPG
and
http://bad-domain/DumbleLite/D-Lite%20Layout.jpg
also
http://bad-domain/DumbleLite/DumbleLite16x8Layout3.JPG

I made a couple of prints from the beautiful layouts I've found in the Files section and when I blew them up there were some variations, specifically in the droppers, but I'm just getting started putting together materials for a build.

Are these just personal tastes or has one superseded another?

Thanks
Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)
Structo

Re: D'Lite Versions

Post by Structo »

Well Normster of course was the one that prototyped the D'Lite amp that Brown Note is now making.

It went through several iterations before it was offered as a production amp.

The D'Lite20% one I believe was the final version.

The other two are earlier works, notice the 250K mid pot and the different mid caps. More of the Skyline tone stack.

The mid cap also known as the Strat cap seems to sound better at .05uf with a strat and at .01uf with humbuckers.

As far as the dropping string, I think that changed with what power transformer was used.

These can be adjusted for the desirable voltages on V1,V2 and V3.

There is a Tweaked Version that incorporates most of the suggestions from this forum.

I have a 6L6 D'Lite that I have most of these mods on and it sounds great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Tom

Thanks much for the info! I guess I lost track of things when the relays (of which I know nothing) were introduced. The version shown above would be 6L6s driving a Vibrolux OT, right? The boards for my planned amp, I think, were populated like the one marked "final" in the address. I just want to start somewhere in the ball-park.

Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)
Structo

Post by Structo »

You're welcome Dave.

The one with the 20% in the title is the one I built my amp to.

I bought a kit. It came with the smaller (at the time) OT which had dual primaries so a person could run 6V6 or 6L6 or EL34's.

I originally built it with the primaries on a DPST switch.

But later removed the switch.

Then I replaced the OT with a Pro Jr. OT that I bought from Angela.
A lot beefier iron.

I just run the Winged =C= 6L6GC's now.

I also installed dual bias pots so I can get both tubes set to the same bias current.

But, not to confuse you, if I were you, I would build it to the tweaked version, it seems to be more in line with a true Dumble circuit.

There is one mistake on it though, it shows a 500K Master volume and it should be labeled 1Meg audio taper.

All the component changes on that schematic were prototyped here for the most part.

Dogears (Scott Lerner) suggested most of them.

It really takes the Lite into Dumble territory if that is what you want.

But don't be afraid that it will only sound like Robben Ford.

I feel it is a very versatile amp and depending where you set the gain can go from jazz to almost metal. Well, metal may be a stretch but it just depends on your style of playing.

I've heard some guys say they like to keep the clean channel (V1) with 100K plates and 1K5 cathodes for more Fendery cleans but I like my amp with high plate loads on both V1 & V2.

Things of note are, the FET simulator resistor is the 220K resistor on the filter cap board, on the top.
Changing that to 150K lowers the preamp voltage a touch and changes the feel for the better.

The higher plates on the PI help towards the D tone. I actually used 110K & 120K on mine.

The NFB resistor from 6K2 to 4K7.

Adding the .05uf cap to the entrance of the OD on V2a.

The 220K/150K plates and the 3K3/2K2 cathodes on V1 & V2.

The 250K mid pot,I didn't care for the .01uf mid cap on my amp but that is what turns it into the Skyline tone stack.
I left the 250K mid pot in and a .05uf mid cap.

On the stock layout, it shows the two cc lugs on the bass pot jumpered.
Some call this the bass mod.
On my amp, I thought it had way too much bass when it was turned up quite a bit.

So I removed the jumper.

Later after I did the OD entrance mod (the .05uf cap before the OD trimmer) I thinned out the bass.
So what I did and several other guys do is when the amp is in just clean or OD, the bass pot is jumpered, but when PAB is switched on the relay removes that jumper. You do this by running two wires from those lugs on the bass pot to the PAB relay and connect them to the common and the normally closed switch.

I didn't care for the 330pf treble cap on my amp and changed it back to the 270pf.

Some guys like to change the slope resistor to a lower or higher value, I didn't mess with that.

That is the 150K resistor that is on the bottom of the bass cap.

Attached is a couple schematics as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Tom

Well, things are getting back to normal now after losing my server once and the electricity twice (using the last bit of charge on the wireless soldering iron sharpens the skills some :P ) but I've had a little time to review your last message!

I can't thank you enough for setting me on my wheels here. There's enough info now for me to get on with this build. Think I'll leave space for the relays and maybe add them later, but don't figure on adding them to the mix at Letter A, especially since I don't yet have the part numbers or installation info.

Since I've never heard a Skyline (that I know of) I'll leave the .05 cap there, but will probably try the higher value plate resistors on the PI. I like the "D" tone (as long as it doesn't get too much like Robben Ford) :? :?:
Adding the .05uf cap to the entrance of the OD on V2a.

Not familiar with this. Do you mean in parallel with the 68k grid resistor?
The 220K/150K plates and the 3K3/2K2 cathodes on V1 & V2.
So, you're saying the same values on both v1 and v2?

Right now, I'm thinking I'll use a 35w 5K Stancor OT that I've had around forever and never found a good use for it. There are a few good PTs lying about but I'm thinking a Fender Hot Rod DeVille unit might go in first.

Thanks again!
Dave
dave g

Post by dave g »

Never found a use for that Stancor!?!? Ever heard of Trainwreck??? That's where it belongs, not in a D'Lite!!!

Honestly you're better off getting Bassman Iron if you want to use 6L6s
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

dave g wrote:Never found a use for that Stancor!?!? Ever heard of Trainwreck??? That's where it belongs, not in a D'Lite!!!
You guys have been trying to get me to building a Trainwreck ever since I registered for this forum! For your information, every amp I've ever built was a trainwreck!! No, wait- my first 18watt was more of a "soup sandwich"... :P

But you're probably thinking of the Stancor units KF used in some of his amps, right? Yeah, I don't think this is quite the same, but I'll probably try it in my Express... sometime... if I ever get it back from my lead man... :roll: But I have to say it sounds pretty fair with the custom Heyboers that are in it now.

Actually, is my memory failing (no answer required) or didn't Norm start the whole D-Lite thing off as a way to use a spare set of Deluxe Reverb iron???

Dave
Structo

Post by Structo »

I think that OT might be ok for 6v6 tubes but not for 6L6.

6L6GC's output around 45-50 watts in this amp.

If you look at the Tweaked layout it shows the OD entrance mod, that's where the .05uf cap goes

You have the OD trimmer, then the 220K resistor then the .05uf cap.

Yes, I use the high plate loads and cathode resistors on both V1 and V2.
Tom

Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Hopefully just a quick query, sorry to derail the thread but.....Is there any downside to having the PT orientated 90deg to normal? ie. longest edge of PT lines up with the side edge of the chassis in the 16x8 layouts. If it induces more hum, is there also a better way to orientate the OT.

Thanks.

Paul.
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

Hey Tom,

Did you really replace your OT with Pro Jr. iron? OR did you mean Prosonic? The Pro Jr. is 2 el84's and the OT is tiny.

How did you like the 6v6's vs the 6l6's?

Nick
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah you are right.

It was the Prosonic.

I couldn't find the same OT at Angela's when I went to look it up so I got the name wrong.

I have always had 6L6's in my D'Lite. Never tried the 6V6's in it.
Tom

titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Structo wrote:I think that OT might be ok for 6v6 tubes but not for 6L6.

6L6GC's output around 45-50 watts in this amp.
I'm thinking 6L6-WPLJ or whatever is like a 5881, or a 5881. But four output tubes would be worth trying out with the DeVille OT too- seems like it would sound big.
Yes, I use the high plate loads and cathode resistors on both V1 and V2.
That seems in line with the way I'm thinking.

Thanks!
Dave.