Amp chassis cradles?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

solderstain

Amp chassis cradles?

Post by solderstain »

After all these years, I've decided to get a rotating chassis cradle. I'm not looking for a woodworking project (I'm a soldering iron guy...). I'd like to find one whose adjustable width will shrink down to 12".

Anyone ever seen one that will shrink that small... but will still hold a full-width Fender Twin-size chassis? If any of you here make one and don't want to spam yourself, please feel free to email me... Thanks.
collinsamps

Re: Amp chassis cradles?

Post by collinsamps »

I've had two different styles and they both collect dust these days. For me personally they are more of a hassle than an asset.

Most will not hold certain chassis styles after you mount transformers which are near the edge. For example, the typical 17x6.5x2 Marshall short box chassis will not sit against the rubber lined wood clamps on one style with a power transformer mounted..........it will sit on top of it though, meaning you work directly on top of it and dont' angle it or it falls off. Which is what it did on your bench so what is the benefit?

The other has to be constantly tweaked, adjusted and readjusted for each and every little change. For example, the bolts that hold the end supports have to be long to go through the end pieces, the clamps, and eventually take a hand tightened large plastic wingnut. the wingnut prevents the chassis from being rotated to certain positions without unbolting everything and reassembling it form the inside out. which you have to change again to get the clamps back to where they were. Hard to explain.

In theory they seem like a good idea. In practice, if you are like me and have different chassis on the bench daily, they take more time to utilize than I have or want to put in to them. My bench is padded with 1" foam and covered with ESD safe carpet like material. I can flip any chassis around on it and support it with blocks much faster than using either of my cradles.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

I get all shapes and sizes on my bench, between my own weirdo projects and customer stuff. I'm doing more in the last year than at any time in the previous 15 years, and I'm getting plain ol' tired of juggling wooden blocks, etc. There's a solution out there somewhere... The good Dr. Tim's is interesting looking :?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't use an amp cradle either as I would have to get a higher stool :? , would constantly be adjusting it, so I use my pad and have been happy with that.

I really think that if I had one it would be in pieces by now because I would probably have gotten pissed off and broke the damn thing. :evil:

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Here you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Thanks, Tom. I've seen a finished example of that somewhere. I want something that rotates 360 degrees... and doesn't require me to be a wood-worker. I know my limits! :lol:
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Ted Weber sells some kits that look pretty nice. You'd have to bolt it to a lazy susan to get the 360 spin, but the assembly doesn't look too tough.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I mounted my arms on lazy susans.

I thought that was a good idea.

In reality, the amps center of gravity wants to make the chassis either flip towards me or away from me.

I drilled some holes through the arms to the side pieces so I can stick a couple screws in to lock it in place.

I built mine from pictures so it was design as I go.

If I were to build another one I would build it like the plans I attached.

Another thing to look out for is to make sure the arms are long enough and the hook part is towards you so when the amp goes on it, it doesn't want to slide forward off of the arms.

If you want the ability to rotate the chassis 360 degrees, you will need some kind of clamping system to hold the chassis to the arms.

Also, you need to have enough clearance under the tubes and transformers to be able to rotate it.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

My cradle works very nicely thank you. 8)

[img:640:536]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r54/ ... G_0990.jpg[/img]
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

This is my new cradle. I borrowed an idea from a picture Noel posted, using a Panavise 376 self-centering vise head on each end. Right now, it's mounted on a T track on the front edge of my bench, but could be made free-standing like my original. The Panavise clamps are about twice the cost of the quick grip type, but it does look less clunky. Length of chassis is not an issue, and it is sturdy.
Obviously, you can get by with a couple of wooden blocks, but where's the fun in that :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
bigmik

Post by bigmik »

wow doc that's quite an operating table you have there ,very cool.
collinsamps

Post by collinsamps »

Kregg wrote:My cradle works very nicely thank you. 8)

[img:640:536]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r54/ ... G_0990.jpg[/img]

That was my first type. Try flipping it over and securing it with the transformers mounted. You'll be lucky to get 1/4" on the arms.

As for Docs................does it come with a remote control and sound like Hal 2000 when it talks?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tim,

Very kool 8) but are you sure your working on amplifiers with that setup. :) Your going to need eye protection as well as sleeves working around all those attachments.

Mark
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

Wow Dr. Hulsey,

You took that Panavise idea and ran with it. I love how you still kept it Spartan and "all bidniz". Very nice touch keeping your iron poised up
close to the patient.
I'm tempted to send you a chamfering tool to nudge your prototipo into the realm of World Class where it rightfully belongs. My sole niggle with
your amp cradle for the 21st century is the "rawness" of your holes in those bitchin' extrusions.

In the vernacular, "I'm just sayin'"...

Great job sir,

NG.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Noel Grassy wrote: ... "I'm just sayin'"...
You're exactly right :D I'll have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!