70's Dumble in use.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

nickm57

70's Dumble in use.

Post by nickm57 »

Rather than the usual RF LC stuff. Haven't seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EelWp1VS ... re=related

Interesting note that this in this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-XeHmrN ... re=related
Ry looks like he is using a music man, might be the guitar but is pulling a better tone?
Nick
danotron

Re: 70's Dumble in use.

Post by danotron »

I like the first clip better. All i can hear in the second is Chorus.
The Blues is my Business....
and Business is good.....
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

danotron wrote:I like the first clip better. All i can hear in the second is Chorus.
Listen all the way through, Ry's slide solo is so sweet 8) :shock:
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

In the first clip, Ry is plugged into a Dan Armstrong Purple Peaker. This was a popular unit with David Lindley as well. Here's the schematic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

Bob-I wrote:
danotron wrote:I like the first clip better. All i can hear in the second is Chorus.
Listen all the way through, Ry's slide solo is so sweet 8) :shock:
Holy crap! Ry's the man 8) I remember reading a GP interview where he says he cuts his own slides from wine bottles. The one he's using sure looks like it.

Mark
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
Structo

Post by Structo »

I remember him from years ago.

But I am more familiar with the haunting slide guitar he does for movie sound tracks.
I wonder if he uses the Dumble on those?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Blindog wrote:Holy crap! Ry's the man 8) I remember reading a GP interview where he says he cuts his own slides from wine bottles. The one he's using sure looks like it.

Mark
I remember that too. I tried it, but by the time I finished the wine I was in no condition to cut the neck off... so I gave up and passed out on the floor.
nickm57

Post by nickm57 »

http://www.youtube.com/user/peybolbol#p ... JdgaIr9bG0

This one is from the same 1981 performance (Dumble). But his Strat looks like it now has the Lap pickup in it. Again Great performance , such a different approach to the tones that are thought of with these amps.

Interesting the use of the purple peaker. I would have though that was why HAD introduced the FET.

Anyone know much about his AMP? I know he went over to a Demeter after this.
I remember that too. I tried it, but by the time I finished the wine I was in no condition to cut the neck off... so I gave up and passed out on the floor.
You can cut wine bottles easily with a Dremmel. But not while you are enjoying the wine.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I recently heard the Crossroads end of movie guitar head cutting session he did with Jack (Steve Vai)..The slide stuff Ry was doing sure had the Dumble Thang .. ...Shortly after that movie Ry put out an album Bop till you Drop I think was the name.. Some serious D-Tone on a few cuts there as well..Pretty Slammin CD.. The early classic as well as the Non-Hrm Skyliners are great platforms to slide on.. That open midrange jumps off the slide..Better have some control there you can hear every squeeker..

I'll never forget the scene in crossroads where that girl comes out of the Hotel and says I gots me a room cauz this one gone he wet his mattress... LOL!!

Tony VVT
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

talbany wrote:Shortly after that movie Ry put out an album Bop till you Drop I think was the name.
Tony VVT
The blue Strat on that LP cover still gives me a boner......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

On the first cut off that album All Shook Up...Ry does this Slide intro as only Ry does.. The Tone he gets gotta be his Dumble.. Whenever I hear that intro I keep waiting for Dumble himself to come tumbling out of the speakers and on to my living room floor!!LOL!!...I'll see if I can find it and post an MP3..Pretty COOL!!

Tony
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

More 70's ........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE1amt-a ... r_embedded#

I heard this amp live that year. Killer.....
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Once again, one youtube link costs me another hour and a half of my life :-) Man, I forgot how good that band was. That one brings back some memories, funny how music does that. I've gotta buy that DVD, thanks for posting.
Bill
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Man I've met LF before and I didn't see that amp on stage or I would have stayed for the show...I can't begin to name the bands I have setup the stage for through iatse and then left to go rest before load out, only to find out later it was an amazing show.
Max

Post by Max »

stelligan wrote:More 70's ........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE1amt-a ... r_embedded#

I heard this amp live that year. Killer.....
Friend of mine owned its "brother amp and brother cabinet (4x10" Altec)" - looking 99,9% identical - for some time. This was absolute Killer too for slide!

The one I played had a 3-tube reverb section (driver, return, mix) and as far as I remember (long time ago) the reverb mix is done b e f o r e the signal is fed into the OD circuit. And no "classic" tonestack to be found.

Great band, great concert!

Have fun

Max