SSS002 build happiness

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: SSS002 build happiness

Post by erwin_ve »

timrobertson100 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:26 am Hi Erwin

Can you please tell me what that 3k3 resistor is that you have on your cap can? It doesn't appear on any of Ryan's work unless I miss something, and the photo you have of it doesn't show where it's connecting.

Thanks
That was a resistor to test a possible lower voltage for the driver tube. I like my current version so much I didnt even test it.
The 3k3 is still in there doing nothing :D

Erwin
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Thanks Erwin
timrobertson100

Can you please tell me the depth of you cab Erwin?
If possible can you also please measure the dimensions for the angled cutout at the top (how far in it starts, how deep it goes, length of the “inset” section).

I’ve just got the last parts so hopefully in the final stages of my build

Thanks
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

timrobertson100 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 am Can you please tell me the depth of you cab Erwin?
If possible can you also please measure the dimensions for the angled cutout at the top (how far in it starts, how deep it goes, length of the “inset” section).

I’ve just got the last parts so hopefully in the final stages of my build

Thanks
Hi Tim,
Depth is 260mm
Cutout starts at 43mm from the side (with rounded edges, so not a straight cutout)at a angle of 50 degrees, cutout is 10mm more deep than the outer edges.
Good luck!

Erwin
timrobertson100

As always, thanks a million Erwin
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

take this for what it's worth...I initially built my cab with a ~260mm interior height and then did some experimentation with blocks under the reverb tank. I found that I could raise the tank until it practically touched the OT with no issues and ended up cutting 50mm out of the sides for a final interior height of 210mm.
Sean Chaney
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Vertigo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm take this for what it's worth...I initially built my cab with a ~260mm interior height and then did some experimentation with blocks under the reverb tank. I found that I could raise the tank until it practically touched the OT with no issues and ended up cutting 50mm out of the sides for a final interior height of 210mm.
Maybe for your build. Not all PT and OT are the same in size.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

erwin_ve wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm
Vertigo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm take this for what it's worth...I initially built my cab with a ~260mm interior height and then did some experimentation with blocks under the reverb tank. I found that I could raise the tank until it practically touched the OT with no issues and ended up cutting 50mm out of the sides for a final interior height of 210mm.
Of course. The unspoken point was that it might be worth testing. I'm sure many people won't care about the monstrous cab, some might.
Sean Chaney
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Vertigo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm
Of course. The unspoken point was that it might be worth testing. I'm sure many people won't care about the monstrous cab, some might.
My cab has the right dimensions for leaving the hum out of the reverb. Facing the reverb tank in and out towards the backpanel resulted in hum, facing it towards the frontpanel is humfree.
Putting it closer to the PT result in hum.
Smaller is nice, but this is a huge clean amp already. Im so glad it isnt a combo :lol:
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

erwin_ve wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm Smaller is nice, but this is a huge clean amp already. Im so glad it isnt a combo :lol:
No kidding. Made from 18mm baltic birch with an EVM12 in it, it better have wheels.
Sean Chaney
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I made some changes a while back:
My reverb tank was a 4ab3c1b(long), now it's a 9ab2c1b(medium 3 spring).
For my taste much better, more lush, shorter trail which is easier to control.
LNfb resistor going to v1a cathode was: 1M, now a 100k.
Amp stays clean longer and feels more controlled.

Had a meeting with a friend today: we played on gig levels: a Jose style Marshall, Ods Bluesmaster and last but not least the sss. The sss is just a huge sounding amp, massive bass(not overwhelming), and silky highs.
My friend said he actually liked a ts9 pedal in front of the amp, which he never liked. It made the ts9 more 3d, instead of the 2d impression he had with other amps.
talbany

Post by talbany »

erwin_ve wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm I made some changes a while back:
My reverb tank was a 4ab3c1b(long), now it's a 9ab2c1b(medium 3 spring).
For my taste much better, more lush, shorter trail which is easier to control.
LNfb resistor going to v1a cathode was: 1M, now a 100k.
Amp stays clean longer and feels more controlled.

Had a meeting with a friend today: we played on gig levels: a Jose style Marshall, Ods Bluesmaster and last but not least the sss. The sss is just a huge sounding amp, massive bass(not overwhelming), and silky highs.
My friend said he actually liked a ts9 pedal in front of the amp, which he never liked. It made the ts9 more 3d, instead of the 2d impression he had with other amps.
Erwin
I completely agree about the TS9. Mine has 4 KT-100's and my TS has a totally different sound not as "Boxy" sounding and has more punch in the low end..With the Screamer on you can easily get that Violin type smooth thing happening. So I can see why Eric Johnson stuck one in front of his and left it on :D The Fuzz Face type pedals I don't care for as much. The amp is just too clean and too extended on the top.

I sometimes use mine in the smaller venues and even set at the lower gig volumes the amp still sounds huge, which is for me one of the reasons why I really like the thing in virtually any setting..Also with the 7025/7025 driver set up driving the grids don't seem to have to crank the preamp to get the thing to want to respond. The cathode followers also acts as a kind of compressor for the back end so no need for any kind of compressor/ sustainer boost pedal since it's already built in :lol:
It feels like I am driving a 12 cylinder Mercedes going 25 mph :lol:
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Tony here's my 12 cylinder Mercedes going 35mph :D

talbany

Post by talbany »

erwin_ve wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:09 pm Tony here's my 12 cylinder Mercedes going 35mph :D

Erwin..Thanks for posting!
Love it especially the last one with the yellow Strat..Some serious throat :D
Here is one going 36 mph :lol: 808

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

talbany wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 am
Erwin..Thanks for posting!
Love it especially the last one with the yellow Strat..Some serious throat :D
Here is one going 36 mph :lol: 808

Tony
Thanks! Your amp has that same serious throat and still plenty of bottom.
I'm amazed you could pull it off to get that in a ODS size chassis. 7 preamp tubes :shock:
Do you have 1 of the controls on the back of the amp as the original had 9 pots on front?