Maybe someone can help me with this color for a guitar.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chikov

Maybe someone can help me with this color for a guitar.

Post by chikov »

Hi guys. I know that it is an AMP forum, but I also know that there are many pros here, that build guitars also. My go to forum called Reranch is down and I hope someone can help me here. One fellow asked me to help him to paint his guitar this tiger stripes design like on attached photo. Does anyone know how I can come up with this tiger yellow color in the middle of the guitar. I have several StewMac pigments (vintage amber, cherry red, tobacco brown etc), but I am not sure if there is a special color (pigment) I can buy or I can mix it with what I have. Does anyone have any idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Re: Maybe someone can help me with this color for a guitar.

Post by Phil_S »

I'm not an expert, but that won't stop me. To me, that looks like a flamed maple top with a burst finish. The black stuff has to go over the burst. So, start with an ordinary burst. Paint it all yellow and blend in the brown-burst around the edge. The black stuff? I dunno. Cut a stencil? If the top is some other wood (not flamed maple) you won't achieve that exact look. Clear coat to finish. The flame is dark so there may be some tinted pore filler in the bottom layer.
chikov

Post by chikov »

Phil, thank you for your help. I am not an artist and, therefore, it is hard for me to tell the shades of a color... I thought the center of the guitar is a slightly different color than our good old Vintage amber. You suggest that it is, I just have to catch the intensity of it... Hmmm... I will have to try on a piece of a scratch wood. I do thank you for the other bits of help... I think I can find a stencil online... Thanks again!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

I would definitely experiment on scrap. It's a bummer that the ReRanch forum is down, but I understand why Bill is unable to think about it at the moment. I think that's probably the first forum I ever really frequented with any regularity. I'm going to mildly disagree with Phil about grain filling. Maple is a closed-grain wood, and won't take filler. You should be able to use a stain, however. I like the stain/sandback method to really make the grain pop. It does appear to be similar to the three-color sunburst listed at ReRanch:

https://s.turbifycdn.com/aah/reranchsto ... cts-11.gif

After laying down the color coats, I'd get a barrier coat of clear down, then mask and spray the black layer. It might take a lot of clear to bury the black enough to get a smooth finish in the end, but it'll be worth it. Good luck!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

johnnyreece wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 pm I'm going to mildly disagree with Phil about grain filling. Maple is a closed-grain wood, and won't take filler. You should be able to use a stain, however.
No issue here. Johnny: I am simply wrong -- didn't think about the properties of maple. Thanks for saying something and for being polite about it.

Recommendations for mixing color...these two guys:
This is the part of Jerry Rosa's mandolin build where he colors the instrument. IMO, he talks too much, but also knows a lot. Fast forward is your friend. (Jerry is color blind.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRny7M5acsY

The last third of this one Ted Woodford is doing refinish to match and gives some worthwhile discussion. Also, he shows what he's using for pigment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q40HN7x ... rt_radio=1

Finally, are you sure you want to do this? The burst isn't so difficult, but the opaque black looks like it will be difficult to get right.