Stancor A-3801 Pictures and "Problem"

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cliff Schecht

Stancor A-3801 Pictures and "Problem"

Post by Cliff Schecht »

As I pulled a 3801 off of the shelf it was stored on, I noticed that the insides were moving around. Shaking the transformer lightly confirmed that the windings were moving around the core. This movement worried me enough that I pulled it apart to confirm that something was wrong. I have a large collection of vintage transformers and none of them have had this issue before. I think to fix it, I'm going to place a few pieces of paper between the winding sections and the outer part of the E-I core to immobilize the movement. No biggie, I just don't like the idea of the insides being able to move around like they were. Anybody else have a transformer that does this? How would you guys go about immobilizing the movement?

I did take some pictures of the insides while the transformer is apart though. I figured others would be interested to see what the insides of a shiny vintage transformer looks like. Thankfully this transformer and the other 3801 I have (along with most of my other vintage xformers) were stored in an air-conditioned room for a good 40 years and show no signs of rust or wear past what one would normally expect. Enjoy :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Cliff Schecht

Re: Stancor A-3801 Pictures and "Problem"

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Two small pieces of compressed cardboard on the top side of the transformer fixed the problem nicely. No shake, no rattle but a lot of rock and roll 8).
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Bruciep07

Re: Stancor A-3801 Pictures and "Problem"

Post by Bruciep07 »

Man, I wish the leads on the one I have were as easy to see as this one, mine all look brown to me...