Liverpool & Vox

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mr.Curwen

Liverpool & Vox

Post by Mr.Curwen »

I've come to understand that the Liverpool is somewhat in the range of Voxy sounds. I've built an Express, which to me is clearly in the ballpark of Marshall sounds.

How much of a Vox would you say the Liverpool is? If you forget about the extra gain, how would you compare say AC30 and the Liverpool?
marino

Re: Liverpool & Vox

Post by marino »

I have built Liverpool and I would say you can get some of vox sound, however a quite narrow range as Liverpool is a high gain amp.
Rocket version of trainwreck series would be a real vox sounding amp.
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

The Liverpool is pretty close to the Express IMO. My Express has a bit more ass than my Liverpool but they're both killer. Lots of gain!

Andy
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Some one can correct me anytime on this as I am no expert on the subject. I think the Dr Z Stangray is closer to a Vox than the Liverpool.

Of course the two modified schematics below are based on the AC30 EF86.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M Fowler on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

The Rocket is the TW amp that is supposed to be more of a Vox amp not the Liverpool.
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

UR12 wrote:The Rocket is the TW amp that is supposed to be more of a Vox amp not the Liverpool.
The front end on the Express & the Liverpool are pretty much the same. The output section is what differentiates them. The Rocket is, supposedly, KF's take on a tweaked, single-channel AC30.

Andy
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I agree the Rocket is the AC30 of wrecks and I love both my EL84 and 6L6 version.

Mark
Tone_Chaser

Post by Tone_Chaser »

I think this is always confusing for people just learning about Trainwrecks. Ken made the first Liverpool for a guy in a Beatles tribute band (from what I have read & from the interview posted on youtube) but he wasn't really trying to recreate the AC30 he made the amp his customer wanted.

It's also confusing hearing that Brad Paisley has a Liverpool and is a well known AC30 guy. But as mentioned here, the Rocket is the AC30 based amp.
Barry
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Tone_Chaser wrote:I think this is always confusing for people just learning about Trainwrecks. Ken made the first Liverpool for a guy in a Beatles tribute band (from what I have read & from the interview posted on youtube) but he wasn't really trying to recreate the AC30 he made the amp his customer wanted.

It's also confusing hearing that Brad Paisley has a Liverpool and is a well known AC30 guy. But as mentioned here, the Rocket is the AC30 based amp.
Just compare the schematics from a AC30 and the Rocket and you will find there is a lot of the same part values and circuits used in the Rocket.