Choosing the right amp

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mar]{o

Choosing the right amp

Post by Mar]{o »

A nice hello to all first! :)

I'm in big dilemma which amp would be the best for me :S I would like to buy complete amp from Nik, but I can't decide :) Firstly I was thinking to get a 18 watt tremolo, but it only have one tone knob... Then I thought about Marwatt, but not for long :) And finaly now I came across TWs. I would really appreciate your help on sound, sensitivity, power (loudness), etc. of this amps, so I would turn in right direction... I think Liverpool would work for me, but I'm no expert!

The music I listen and play is blues/rock like Led Zeppelin (yeah Pagey :) ), Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore solo stuff, a little SRV, Hendrix, etc... My guitar is vintage Westbury Deluxe w/ DiMarzio-s. And I need this amp for band rehersals, so I don't want to have amp to loud or not loud enough! And if someone knows differences between (sound/power wise) 18watt, Express, Liverpool, please write some of them!

Thank you very much!
paulruby

Re: Choosing the right amp

Post by paulruby »

Express is great for classic and hard rock but LOUD. You will need an attenuator.

18W is not quite loud enough for a band. Some will argue with me.... It's probably about just right for rehersal but will not have enough extra for leads in a live situaion unless it's mic'ed.

A rocket is a great sounding amp as well, with enough power for for live situations. If wired up properly, you can remove a pair of tubes to drop it to 18W when desired.

A liverpool is an express preamp married to 36W EL84 output stage. Perhaps best of both worlds? (I've never actually built a 'pool.) The stock schematic would not allow removing a piar of tubes, but (personally I think) any 4-power-tube amp should be wired to allow pulling a pair of them. Just use the Rocket or 36W pwoer amp shcematic.
Last edited by paulruby on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulruby

Post by paulruby »

By the way, ana express with 6V6 is a bit quieter and sounds really cool too. The abitly to play with different tube types is another express advantage.
2thick4uni

Post by 2thick4uni »

I have an 18watt TMB EF86 built by Nik and a Twreck Express clone I built myself using Niks chassis and boards and Moose trannies. IMHO the classic 70's Marshall rock sound can be best replicated with the TMB channel of the 18watt rather than the Express, which is a higher gain sound nearer to EVH (unless you turn the guitar vol down of course!) The express is my favourite amp as it is so responsive, but for Gary Moore/Lizzy /Zep stuff I do prefer the 18 watt TMB, it's a one trick pony but that's its trick. (Well with the EF86 channel it also does a passable AC30 / HiWatt impression too) I changed all of the valves to mullards and to me it sounds even better than my old Plexi 50 did.......

The volume of the amp also depends on the type of speakers you're using, they can make a HUGE difference to volume levels as well as tone. I run my 18 watt through a 4 x 12 cabinet loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, the sensitivity of these is 100db and it is easily loud enough for both rehersals and pub gigs, however I also have a 4 x 10 cabinet with 94db sensitive speakers (Celestion tube 10's) and it is about half the volume, as one would expect from 6db less of output, I use the 4 x 10 with the Twreck when gigging as the 4 x 12 is simply too loud without an attenuator, even with the 4 x 10 I usually use 4 or 8 db of attenuation.

The guitar obviously plays a part in the sound too, I'm assuming the DiMarzio's on your Westbury are humbuckers?

Allan
Mar]{o

Post by Mar]{o »

Yes, the Dimarzio-s are humbuckers (Paf Pro on neck and Super Distortion on bridge)...
I really like the idea of having two channels right on my guitar (Gibson style V/T-control) and I heard that TW's are VERY dynamic amps, so that could be the amp for me - I'm just not sure which one from Nik to get. Some of you say that Express is too loud for band etc. and I don't want to have problems with loudness. So maybe the Liverpool would be a good choice? Can I count on some usable clean when I turn my guitar volume down? (I know I won't get a Fender clean, I have in mind that slightly overdriven clean...) ?

And thanks for all your help!
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I don't know about your band, but I'll tell you about mine.

We are a trio, playing hard rock - Classic and modern. We also play some light stuff, like Beatles, but thats another story for another day.

I have been playing with a Matchless Spitfire clone until now. Its a 15 watt, 2-EL84 based amp, and the volume level has been great for chords, and just a little too low for leads.

Tonight, I'll be bringing my newly completeed Wreck - the UniWreck - for the first time. I installed two mods. One is the split plate load resistor, and the other is a master volume that is essentially a pot in place of the first 1M resistor in the PI. The MV will help control the volume a lot, and the split plate load resistor will help make the amp a little less agressive (but not much given the values I used). I'll report back late tonight, or tomorrow on how the volume worked out.

I may also build an airbrake. This seems to be the most popular wisdom around here - use an attenuator. My only experience with an attenuator is with the Weber miniMass, which works well, but sucks the highs a little more than I would like. So the Airbrake will have to be a bit more transparent if I am gonna end up happy. I haven't even ordered parts for it yet, so this is still a ways off.
Mar]{o

Post by Mar]{o »

I was thinking a lot about wich amp to get - now I'm even more confused :) I came on idea to build 18 watt tremolo kit from Nik - that would keep the cost even lower, but now I'm a little woried that 18 watt won't be loud enough... I don't think I'll be using it live without mic, but I want to use it without mic with band rehersals... Is that possible? Will it be enough loud? I plan to make it in 2x12 combo (something usual like one Greenback and one Vintage 30)...
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I think every guitar player should have an 18 watt. Build that first & the wreck later. Or build it as a 36 watt-not much more expense.
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

The express was my first and only complete build so far. Previously I rebuilt a jtm-45 reissue to vintage spec. I play throgh a 2 12 with 25 watt fanes and have less problem getting my sound at reasonable volumes than I did with the jtm-45. I'm currently just about ready to start on a rocket to possibly use in conjunction with the express. Phil
geekmacdaddy

Post by geekmacdaddy »

Mar]{o wrote:I was thinking a lot about wich amp to get - now I'm even more confused :) I came on idea to build 18 watt tremolo kit from Nik - that would keep the cost even lower, but now I'm a little woried that 18 watt won't be loud enough... I don't think I'll be using it live without mic, but I want to use it without mic with band rehersals... Is that possible? Will it be enough loud? I plan to make it in 2x12 combo (something usual like one Greenback and one Vintage 30)...
My 18 watt is screaming loud!
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

I'll chime in...I am by no means an expert but I have (had) all the amps you mentioned and then some:

1) an 18 watt trem version (built from scratch by me) 2x12 w/ a Celestion Blue & G12H30

2) an Express built by Nik w/ Moose's trannies

3) an Express built by Nik w/ Nik's trannies

4) a Liverpool built partially by Nik, tweaked heavily by me w/ Mooses trannies

5) Divided by 13 FTR 37

I use my 18 watt 2x12 for rehearsal & gigs in my "friends from work" band. We play the same style music; pretty much a lot of classic rock stuff. I really love my 18. It is my favorite amp of all time. There are a few times when I wish I could boost the power a little bit for leads. Not many, but a few. Otherwise I think the 18 watt amp is the perfect amp for these situations.

I sold both Expresses. Great dynamic amps. Everything that people rave about these amps is true. Harmonic, musical feedback whenever you want it. Just too loud for anything I do. Man, these are fun to play though!

Recently finished my Liverpool w/ Mooses trannies. To me, this amp reminds me of the 18 with more volume and more gain. I have yet to try it at rehearsal, but I am looking forward to see if I can manage the volume and the dynamics with my guitar volume. No doubt it will be plenty loud, I just want to make sure it works as good as my 18. I'm keeping this one cause it does sound so good.

Finally, my D13 is the amp I use in my country band becasue of the superb cleans and great reverb. The D13 is also a great amp for pedals and can be used in just about any situation and sound awesome.

So to answer your questions, I would recommend an 18 watt first. You can get more of the classic rock sound from this amp. On a 2x12 setup you should have all the volume you need.

-Rich
geekmacdaddy

Post by geekmacdaddy »

Well,
I had a gig in a club last night, that had high ceilings, and was med size, a bit larger than medium...Used the 18watt Trex, and guess what? Not loud enough. I had it dimed most of the night, and it was there, but, not quite enough...damn....in a smaller room it would work. I'm thinking about 36 watt possibilities now, and or maybe liverpool....

Geek
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

geekmacdaddy wrote:Well,
I had a gig in a club last night, that had high ceilings, and was med size, a bit larger than medium...Used the 18watt Trex, and guess what? Not loud enough. I had it dimed most of the night, and it was there, but, not quite enough...damn....in a smaller room it would work. I'm thinking about 36 watt possibilities now, and or maybe liverpool....

Geek
Good to know. Need to try my Liverpool at rehearsal on Wednesday.

Thanks for the info!

-Rich
MooreCowbelle

Post by MooreCowbelle »

geekmacdaddy wrote:Well,

Geek
GMD: were you using your Sammis? If so, a switch to more efficient speakers may have been just enough to do the trick.
geekmacdaddy

Post by geekmacdaddy »

yeah MC, they were the Sammi's. Gabi tells me that if I had celestions, I would have had 3db more....could've used those 3db...i'm still kinda bummed.